sneaker digging at mom and pops

So I am watching Just For Kicks (dope documentary if you havent seen it yet google it) and dude was talking about digging at a mom and pops store, gettinglet into the back looking for old shoes that are out of production and maybe one pair is left and they are just confined to sitting in the back. As Iunderstand its hard to get a store to let you do it, and Mom and Pops stores would be your only option. I wanna hear if anyone has been digging, if you godigging, and the best way to get access.

it is a good idea, i've seen some good finds out if this in the past. store i work at now got everything nike scooped up from them, which sucks cause itwas all 88-92 era. i got a og nike air folding armchair out of it though fo free
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by YoungSole93

*****waits for corgi****
hahahaha...
Mom and Pops are the best. Back when it was mom and pops and the mall stores it was a bit different. The Mom and Pop shops couldnt return stock like the mallstores could. So they would sit on it for years. Glad to let you take a look in most places. Or if not then after the worker goes back and forth a bunch oftimes trying to dig for you they just let you take care of it. And getting a shoe at wholesale was the worst you could pay. I found hundreds of pairs from$10-$30. Just gotta build a rapor with the store. I havent been digging in years and years but im sure its still the same. You wont find much product from the90s but plenty of stuff from 3-8 years back. You cant go in thinking your going to find every OG jordan DS in a size run. you gotta appreciate certain shoes tofind stuff. Old runner, cross trainers, basketball shoes. Just GR stuff. But thats the best stuff to me anyways.

The key from my expierence is to show them you have some money to spend. They won't be willing to let you search if they think you just want one specificpair, but if you're going to buy like 5-10 pairs, they're more than happy to move the stock. We're reaching a time peroid when mom n pop shops arereally almost all out of any decent older stock. Time is flying...

we in 2009. ive heard stories of people in 2000-2005 just pulling out tons of old barkleys,pennys, and pennys that didnt sell out back in the day.

real quick. i dont think i have the right idea of what a mom and pop store is.

what is a mom and pop store??

thx...

Originally Posted by BubbaEla1

Originally Posted by YoungSole93

*****waits for corgi****
hahahaha...
Glad to let you take a look in most places. Or if not then after the worker goes back and forth a bunch of times trying to dig for you they just let you take care of it. And getting a shoe at wholesale was the worst you could pay... Just gotta build a rapor with the store. I havent been digging in years and years but im sure its still the same. You wont find much product from the 90s but plenty of stuff from 3-8 years back. You cant go in thinking your going to find every OG jordan DS in a size run. you gotta appreciate certain shoes to find stuff. Old runner, cross trainers, basketball shoes. Just GR stuff. But thats the best stuff to me anyways.

The key from my expierence is to show them you have some money to spend. They won't be willing to let you search if they think you just want one specific pair, but if you're going to buy like 5-10 pairs, they're more than happy to move the stock. We're reaching a time peroid when mom n pop shops are really almost all out of any decent older stock. Time is flying...

Both QFT.

This thread almost gives me the urge to go hunting again...
devil.gif

only a few places in my city would be good for this, just called one and they said they donated all their old pairs with one or two sizes left. one final hopetommorow. I dont feel like the big Mom and Pops like Rock Paper Sisscors, and Goods here in Seattle would let you go digging

^they probably dont have a whole lot,

how long have they had accounts, I don't recall either of those being too old.

I used to drive all over the state of WI, 02-04 SB was unbelievable....

Chicago was usally pretty good, all of that stuff is hit or miss though.

always best to have some sort of relationship with the store. Go in a few times, talk to worker about shoes., Show em you really like shoes and arent justtheir to rape and pillage their old stock. Otherwise you go in just asking to go to the back and find some stuff so you can resell it you will get deaded. Orthey will tax you because they know your intentions. Like all things in like you gotta be able to finesse the situation or they will pay you no mind. Act likeyou like sneakers and are humble about it. Like i says it takes a certain kind of person who likes certain kinds of shoes. You'll find very basic stufffrom years back. By that i mean basic runners, trainers, basketball shoes. If you are looking for a OG barkely, or Jordan, or some crazy 90s stuff most of thathas been scooped except in kids sizes. But i'd bet stuff as late as 99/2000 is still flaoting around. Actually i know in LA its still all over the placebut you also have to know where to go. You gotta put in time. Its not an overnight process. Im glad nonetheless that someone brought this up. Digging has beenessential to people who like sneakers since the 80s. Its not dead whatsoever but its all much different in what you will find. Patience and passiuon is thekey. Best luck to all of you. I been done buying shoes for a good 5 years. But digging i'll make an exception for. Problem is once i start it stough tostop.

^^^^^ thats what shoes should be about. The stories, memories, so forth. Thats why i dont need to have these shoes i got. I will always have the memories. Idont need the shoes anymore. Someone else can have their own memory with them. Seems like that concept is long lost where its more about shoe shows , smileysmoking faces, message board validation, lining up for the sake of lining up, buying because everyone else said they was gonna buy, and trying to resell. Justhaving a superiority complex because you got a few shoes the next dude dont. Those dudes dont understand digging, wouldnt do it. Theres no line, no messageboard co-signs, sole collector didnt do a cheesy centerfold about it, and ny hype. Just about you finding a few personal gems and enjoying the experience.

i feel you dawg. i actually made a post like this when the "raptor" and the frenchie 7s came out.... the ambition to collect is long gone. the"limited word" entices ppl to buy shoes now.

another downfall is too many sneaker heads now... finding original shoes are hard to find now... i remember buying some nasty chutney XIIIs for 50$ at theswapmeet... you dont see sh*t like that anymore.
if i want something ill just go on ebay and bid/bin.... im done hunting. nothing to hunt nowadays.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by BubbaEla1

^^^^^ thats what shoes should be about. The stories, memories, so forth. Thats why i dont need to have these shoes i got. I will always have the memories. I dont need the shoes anymore. Someone else can have their own memory with them. Seems like that concept is long lost where its more about shoe shows , smiley smoking faces, message board validation, lining up for the sake of lining up, buying because everyone else said they was gonna buy, and trying to resell. Just having a superiority complex because you got a few shoes the next dude dont. Those dudes dont understand digging, wouldnt do it. Theres no line, no message board co-signs, sole collector didnt do a cheesy centerfold about it, and ny hype. Just about you finding a few personal gems and enjoying the experience.
So true
ohwell.gif

good times.

i actually prefer looking through shelves myself than people trying to "help" me.

Originally Posted by OGfiend

The key from my expierence is to show them you have some money to spend. They won't be willing to let you search if they think you just want one specific pair, but if you're going to buy like 5-10 pairs, they're more than happy to move the stock. We're reaching a time peroid when mom n pop shops are really almost all out of any decent older stock. Time is flying...

The art of mom & pops here in Chicago is almost dead now. There was actually a time where you didn't have togo digging around, there was a BUNCH of bangers lying right on the floor (sportie LA style with $20 price tags). But back rooms, basements, and even atticsis where you come up on the Air Icarus, OG Tailwinds-Kenya, Windrunners, and a gang of other trainers/runners. Nowadays, the shop owners wanna charge $69.99for some jizz that you might have been able to get for about $15-20 a pop maybe 4-5 years ago.

But that whole thing about appreciating certain shoes is where certain folks can win pretty big. I still go to spots & look at the walls like "Arethese creeps really leaving these Revolutions, AF2, Fila FX-100 sit in the damn shelves. These Flight Huaraches? Really!!!" But I still know a fewspots that someone will small feet can come up BIG on some heat. Too bad I can't get off into the whole reselling gig. However, I do plan to check outHarputs in the next year or so. I know a couple people that should be able to get me into that massive stockroom. I'm gonna be in some kinda heaven withall those adidas in my face
grin.gif

Not too many mom and pop stores left nowadays, shold prolly add thrift stores, garage sales and antique malls to the list, never know might get lucky and finda gem that was sitting in someones closet for a decade.

Back
Top Bottom