Snowboarders Please Enter..

Is there specific sports authority gear that you guys recommend? Or any of their branded waterproof gear?

Just don't sit on the ground when you strap in. That should be the first thing you learn to do.

If it's sunny you can wear sun glasses. If it's snowing you can deal with it. It's not like a first timer is going to be pointing hills and going 50 mph and having his eyes sting and water up.

Goggles aren't cheap. I'm just saying no reason to spend a ton of money on a first outing. A lot of people just give up and never go again. Meanwhile you spent a stack on gear you won't need. Seen it before.

Last edited:
Why wouldnt you need goggles....?

You don't need googles on the bunny hill or carpet. Ain't like you flying through trees, different terrain, snow fall, sunlight changes.

You are going fall anyways last thing you want to worry about is keeping your googles on your face.

Last edited:
Exactly. I don't even like wearing goggles unless I have to and I have a nice pair and ride at least twice a week. It's not like they make you better at snowboarding. It's just one more thing on your face. Half the time I just use them to hold my hoody on my head and don't actually use them.

Personal preference I guess. I hate having cold wind blowing in my eyes, especially since I like to rip it down the hills

I been boarding for 6 years and unless its really windy, snowing or the wind is bothering my eyes I prefer no goggles as well.

Snowboarding gear is stupid expensive, no need to go all out. Get some quality stuff
Arc'teryx or nothing.

If you're just starting, the run of the mill North Face will be fine. Just make sure to layer up, you can always take something off. Not much worse than sitting on a slow chair, cold and wet.

Last edited:
Only spend enough to get by this time of year. Snow gear is some of the most heavily discounted merch out there if you buy at the end of the season.

It will bum you out knowing that I bought that same jacket as you 3 months later for 60-70% off.

Headed to Mountain Creek this weekend. I'm not a big fan of that place as it tends to get overcrowded but I'm fiendin' to get a few hours in the snow so I'll take it :lol:

last friday, i went snowboarding for the first time in years at Boreal near Tahoe. I was a complete beginner back then but after an hour of practicing i got the hang of it. My heel carving is decent enough but i need to work on the toe side.

My last run was at night on the "expert" hill and it looked steeper than 45 degrees. Took me a minute to gather my courage at the top. I fell like 5 times, and the ride down felt like an eternity compared to what ive previously done, but there was a moment where i was about to hit another snowboarder but i narrowly dodged him and we both started carving left and right in sync. That felt :pimp:. I was hella proud of myself when i made it down to the bottom. Calves and quads were hella sore and i was still shaking from the adrenaline lol. I can see how snowboarding can be addicting because now i want to buy my own setup to hit the slopes again.

Last edited:
Went for the first time over the weekend and I'm hooked. Been looking at the outlet on the major sites (house and evo) for a board and bindings. Going to try to hit a local store tomorrow to try on some boots.

Visibility was horrible today. Couldnt see much going down the hills, just looked like a huge sheet of paper lol

The random dips almost got me flying

last friday, i went snowboarding for the first time in years at Boreal near Tahoe. I was a complete beginner back then but after an hour of practicing i got the hang of it. My heel carving is decent enough but i need to work on the toe side.

My last run was at night on the "expert" hill and it looked steeper than 45 degrees. Took me a minute to gather my courage at the top. I fell like 5 times, and the ride down felt like an eternity compared to what ive previously done, but there was a moment where i was about to hit another snowboarder but i narrowly dodged him and we both started carving left and right in sync. That felt :pimp:. I was hella proud of myself when i made it down to the bottom. Calves and quads were hella sore and i was still shaking from the adrenaline lol. I can see how snowboarding can be addicting because now i want to buy my own setup to hit the slopes again.

I always tell people who are going for the first time not to bother with leg day at the gym before and after it lol. Gloots are gonna be worked lol

Boreal is the fastest place to get your fix if you're in the bay so that's that. Hella park rats there but they always have night skiing so if Friday was good for you did you maximise it and go back home that night or did you have a hotel?

Just recently got back from a trip to North Carolina with some friends...we hit up Beech Mountain before heading home and it was pretty awesome.  Weather was great and the powder was pretty fresh. View was pretty epic as well 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom