so Harry Belafonte Condemns Jay-z and beyonce Vol. Bruce Springsteen is black to him

While at the Locarno Film Festival to receive the event’s Golden Leopard Honor Award, the legendary Harry Belafonte spoke to The Hollywood Reporter and shared his thoughts on a number of issues - including his thoughts on minority celebrities’ lack of contribution to social awareness.

In the interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Harry Belafonte had this to say about Jay-Z and Beyonce...

THR: Back to the occasion of the award for your acting career. Are you happy with the image of members of minorities in Hollywood today?

Belafonte: Not at all. They have not told the history of our people, nothing of who we are. We are still looking. We are not determinated. We are not driven by some technology that says you can kill Afghans, the Iraqis or the Spanish. It is all -- excuse my French -- ****. It is sad. And I think one of the great abuses of this modern time is that we should have had such high-profile artists, powerful celebrities. But they have turned their back on social responsibility. That goes for Jay-Z and Beyonce, for example. Give me Bruce Springsteen, and now you’re talking. I really think he is black.

While we do believe it's wrong to deny two people their culture and heritage based on perceived irresponsibility, do you think he makes a valid point? 

People are only ignorant until they are exposed to information. It’s a priceless commodity the few people in the areas they come from have access to.

What's your take on Belafonte's Jay and Bey judgment? 

Source

http://globalgrind.com/news/harry-belafonte-condemns-jay-z-beyonce-social-responsibility-details

But why do Jay-Z and Beyonce have to be socially responsible?  Yes, I get he's the biggest name in rap and a mogul, but he is not trying to do anything (or say anything) that will **** up his capital. 

There are plenty of other rappers out there who would fight for this cause (Lupe, Talib, Chuck D. etc come to mind).  But ultimately it's up to the listener to expect more from these musicians who don't.  I'm not going to be one to harp on a rapper for not making a stance.  That's their prerogative.  Change will happen the minute people stop putting these guys on pedestals and worshiping their every move.  There are other people out there making a difference in these communities who go unnoticed.  It's time to shift these "hero-worshiping" eyes from rappers/athletes to others who are out there making a difference. 

Personally, I take Jay-Z and others for who they are.  ENTERTAINERS.  I don't need them on soapboxes talking about social injustices amongst other things.  Just make good music and I'm happy. 

That's that bull, they are, they do alot more than just run their mouth. Just like most other things in their life, they keep it private (which eventually leaks to the press). Anyone can make a big stink about an issue far away that you really have no impact on. Tons of big mouth idiots who think we wanna hear them when they actually are doing nothing. These guys actually help in the community, thats far better than being insincere and vocal just because.

Last edited:
I was in a bad mood and this came off as ignorant. But I dont expect them to let their lives be engulfed in social activism that isnt their responsibility it is their choice if they choose to do so, but thats about it.

I will say that I agree with Double Js and Silly Puttys points about this subject, no comment for what the rest of this thread is about.

Last edited:
Old black people have ruin the younger black generation, so quick to condemn but never any follow through smh

That's that bull, they are, they do alot more than just run their mouth. Just like most other things in their life, they keep it private (which eventually leaks to the press). Anyone can make a big stink about an issue far away that you really have no impact on. Tons of big mouth idiots who think we wanna hear them when they actually are doing nothing. These guys actually help in the community, thats far better than being insincere and vocal just because.
That's a good point...if you're not contributing your time/money in the public eye, you're obviously doing something wrong.  Who knows what Jay-Z does behind the scenes.  I hope he doesn't respond to Harry Belafonte. 

I watched his documentary on HBO...but what do you expect from a former drug dealer and chick who performs damn near naked shaking it on stage?

They just wanted a huge piece of the American pie and they got it...social activism is far from their agenda.

I laugh when people think entertainers are MORALLY OBLIGATED to support others.

Thats basically the same as censorship.

Would I like it if they were? Sure.

But I won't hold it against them if they aren't. They're not obligated to me or anyone else.

Uber-powerful minorities in a land of white privilege? 
I get that...but it's their choice.  I'm not going to judge them one way or another.  They are entertainers to ME.  Nothing more, nothing less.  What they do with their time/money is their business. 

We need to stop putting these folks on pedestals.  There are countless other people out there doing things in the public eye by way of community service, philanthropy, etc.  As it was mentioned before, who is to say that Jay-Z and Beyonce aren't doing these things privately? 

That's not the point though.  I enjoy what athletes and entertainers do in their field of work.  I don't get caught up in their lack of (or actual involvement) when it comes to social activism.  Like I said, to ME, they are entertainers. 

Last edited:
stupid premise....this guy should look in the mirror...everybody wants to point their fingers at Jay-Z...he's just a hustler who made it in mainstream America...he's not here to change anything...the ***** still raps about crack on his records

Uber-powerful minorities in a land of white privilege? 
I get that...but it's their choice.  I'm not going to judge them one way or another.  They are entertainers to ME.  Nothing more, nothing less.  What they do with their time/money is their business. 

We need to stop putting these folks on pedestals.  There are countless other people out there doing things in the public eye by way of community service, philanthropy, etc.  As it was mentioned before, who is to say that Jay-Z and Beyonce aren't doing these things privately? 

That's not the point though.  I enjoy what athletes and entertainers do in their field of work.  I don't get caught up in their lack of (or actual involvement) when it comes to social activism.  Like I said, to ME, they are entertainers. 
Exactly.

This is the same non-sense they try to use against Rick Ross' success even though he's lied about a lot of it.

ITS ENTERTAINMENT to me. if you need a rapper to have actually done what he says then you're just asking to be lied to. 

Y'all gotta understand that Harry Belafonte came up in an era in which many of the most popular and successful Black entertainers were social activists. Many of these people were actual leaders (something sorely lacking in the hip-hop world and entertainment world in general today) who played a tremendous role in the social changes that were taking place in the 1960s and 1970s. This included musicians (James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Funkadelic, Parliament, etc.), athletes (Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Jackie Robinson, Bill Russell, etc.), and actors (Belafonte, Ossie Davis, Sidney Poitier, etc.). These were entertainers BUT they were also social activists. Do y'all not feel that it's a regression that essentially no such Black figures exist in music, sports, or acting today??

For those saying that Jay-Z probably contributes to charity privately, y'all are missing the bigger point. Belafonte is not talking about he wishes Black entertainers would contribute more to charity privately. He's talking about people being public leaders in addressing social issues and using their power to help stimulate social change...

Old black people have ruin the younger black generation, so quick to condemn but never any follow through smh

So out of all the problems in our community, you choose "older black people" to have ruined us?

Y'all gotta understand that Harry Belafonte came up in an era in which many of the most popular and successful Black entertainers were social activists. Many of these people were actual leaders (something sorely lacking in the hip-hop world and entertainment world in general today) who played a tremendous role in the social changes that were taking place in the 1960s and 1970s. This included musicians (James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Funkadelic, Parliament, etc.), athletes (Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Jackie Robinson, Bill Russell, etc.), and actors (Belafonte, Ossie Davis, Sidney Poitier, etc.). These were entertainers BUT they were also social activists. Do y'all not feel that it's a regression that essentially no such Black figures exist in music, sports, or acting today??

For those saying that Jay-Z probably contributes to charity privately, y'all are missing the bigger point. Belafonte is not talking about he wishes Black entertainers would contribute more to charity privately. He's talking about people being public leaders in addressing social issues and using their power to help stimulate social change...

good points here. but the thing is, a lot of people black people and america in general like to believe we are past a time where such social activism is needed. i disagree, but case in point - look at kanye. everytime he spoke up regarding black issues, dude got crucified. and thatll mess ya money up real quick. jay-z and beyonce probably fall back on black activism because they don't want to be those controversial figures. its sad, but for them, in todays world, playing it even keel and contributing privately will be more helpful than being in headlines for controversial stances.

edit:

and another thing. jay-z has a lot of black activist view point in interviews and in his lyrics. naturally, hes a reserved dude so he choose his platforms wisely to express his views. i think mr belafonte is being unfair because the landscape and platforms for expressing views has changed a lot since his days.

Last edited:

...So?

Were times different? Absolutely, but what obligation do they have to the black community?

We romanticize too many of these "pioneers" if you ask me.

Were they breaking barriers? Yes, but they were not making the social strides we make them out to be. Many of them were just doing their jobs. Half of the people you listed weren't out registering people to vote or acting as legal ambassadors or politicians or even leading movements.

Marvin Gaye talked about war? Sure. Jay-Z talked about living in the hood and struggling to survive. Is his story less valid?

And its LAUGHABLE you'd list Parliament or Aretha Franklin for example. Their songs being used to inspire a movement doesn't mean thats what it was intended for.

Thats like Eminem trying to make a pre-fight anthem on purpose. 

I'm a black male and I appreciate their contributions, but i'm not about to sit here and blindly worship them for merely coming first. I appreciate their ability to do so, but I realize that they are not obligated to do that and any decision to do so is under their own volition. 

Last edited:
what do you expect from a former drug dealer and chick who performs damn near naked shaking it on stage?
They just wanted a huge piece of the American pie and they got it...social activism is far from their agenda.

Last edited:

good points here. but the thing is, a lot of people black people and america in general like to believe we are past a time where such social activism is needed. i disagree, but case in point - look at kanye. everytime he spoke up regarding black issues, dude got crucified. and thatll mess ya money up real quick. jay-z and beyonce probably fall back on black activism because they don't want to be those controversial figures. its sad, but for them, in todays world, playing it even keel and contributing privately will be more helpful than being in headlines for controversial stances.

edit:

and another thing. jay-z has a lot of black activist view point in interviews and in his lyrics. naturally, hes a reserved dude so he choose his platforms wisely to express his views. i think mr belafonte is being unfair because the landscape and platforms for expressing views has changed a lot since his days.
Are we beyond NEEDING progress? Hell no. We have a LOT of stuff to do.

But I don't want anyone to do that who doesn't feel compelled to do it.

I don't want Waka to start rapping about Peta or to start campaigning on stopping violence.  If he wanted to, he'd do it in the first place.

Don't ask for accountability from people who already don't want to be accountable. Embrace those who take it upon themselves to do it anyways. 

So I guess this doesn't matter either: 

They're ENTERTAINERS. 

THEY...ENTERTAIN.

Hell, even Obama said that he is NOT just the president for black people. He can't do it on his own. 

If you are looking for progress, look no further than in the mirror. 

Is there a system that looks to oppress us? Absolutely, but you can't demand change from those who don't compelled to take up the charge on their own. Otherwise, they'll never be entirely committed to the idea. 

edit:

Are we beyond NEEDING progress? Hell no. We have a LOT of stuff to do.

But I don't want anyone to do that who doesn't feel compelled to do it.

I don't want Waka to start rapping about Peta or to start campaigning on stopping violence.  If he wanted to, he'd do it in the first place.

Don't ask for accountability from people who already don't want to be accountable. Embrace those who take it upon themselves to do it anyways. 

But you want everyone to support gay marriage even if they don't "feel compelled" to do so...

I love this man, he is an amazing humanitarian 

I saw his documentary in his time EVERY black person was doing something in the cause, he is apart of the civil rights era and the time when artist were sing "we are the world" I guess he expects it to be like that. But bey does a lot though

Last edited:

...So?

Were times different? Absolutely, but what obligation do they have to the black community?

We romanticize too many of these "pioneers" if you ask me.

Were they breaking barriers? Yes, but they were not making the social strides we make them out to be. Many of them were just doing their jobs. Half of the people you listed weren't out registering people to vote or acting as legal ambassadors or politicians or even leading movements.

Marvin Gaye talked about war? Sure. Jay-Z talked about living in the hood and struggling to survive. Is his story less valid?

And its LAUGHABLE you'd list Parliament or Aretha Franklin for example. Their songs being used to inspire a movement doesn't mean thats what it was intended for.

Thats like Eminem trying to make a pre-fight anthem on purpose. 

I'm a black male and I appreciate their contributions, but i'm not about to sit here and blindly worship them for merely coming first. I appreciate their ability to do so, but I realize that they are not obligated to do that and any decision to do so is under their own volition. 

It's not about "romanticizing" anything or "worshiping" anyone. And it has nothing to do with someone's story being more of less "valid" than the next person. And it has nothing to do with "coming first." I didn't say anyone was "obligated." Where do you come up with this stuff?

Back
Top Bottom