So i just got a speeding ticket

1) there should be a court date or pay by date on your ticket, go down there on or before the date and ask the clerk for an extension because you can't get off work or something.
  • this lessens the likelihood that the cop shows up, because they usually schedule their tickets all on one day
2) decide if the cop got you clean, meaning he got you on radar
  • if yes look for a deal when you go to court
  • if no start forming a defense saying that he couldn't have accurately judged your speed, didn't pace you properly, think of details from the incident that the cop won't remember to shake his credibility. etc. If you lose this will cost way more.
3) Just find an attorney who does traffic tickets and pay the 50 bucks more and possibly traffic school.

Last edited:
Also, if you are in a state where the cop has to show up to the court date or else its thrown out... Definitely DO NOT put a check in the "request supporting deposition" box on the mail-in... That just causes extra paperwork for the officer and you better believe hes showing up to that appointment. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I was just behind a cop in traffic
This ***** went into the turning lane in the middle of the lanes, drove ALL THE WAY to the front, and cut to the front

They dirty bruh :smh:

In fl the cop doesnt even show up half the time and it automatically gets dismissed, dont know the NJ situation

Man, they show up. It's rare when they don't.

I've never had a cop show up in almost 10 years (3 contested tickets).

Not only that but each time at least half the court room had their cop not show up as well.

What you need to do is postpone your court date as long as you can, in CA you can basically push it back a year.

Then schedule your date for a Friday afternoon I think this is crucial and prob why so few cops have shown up for the other defendants as well. Someone on NT posted this on the ezboard days salute to them.

Like I said I've contested three tickets in the past decade never once did a cop show up when I did the above. If they do show up it's not like your paying more money, if anything the judge will lower the fine or make an arrangement with you.

first offense with a clean record, they'll reduce the "punishment" anyway and won't suspend your license. I was doing 90 or so in a 55. i got 3 points and a fine for each point. I could've paid in a lump sum for less, but I opted for $150 a point for 3 yrs. be prepared to hear the office recite a prepared statement which include how he calibrated the radar gun that day, blah, blah, blah, mad technical terms. all BS.

Got 90 in a 55 a few months ago, got hit with 8 points, lawyer knocked it down to three just need to take the 6 hour course to get a clean license again.

Every time I drive at night and a car is behind me I think it's a damn cop :smh:

Worst feeling in the world

Also i forgot to mention ive got a probationary auto license... issued 4-2013... im guessing thats why i was told it will be suspended, this sucks.

Fam, I'm from Nj as well .. being that this is your first ticket, you're probably going to end up with a fine and no points in court. You will probably get charged with careless driving if you talk to the prosecutor. The fine is about $417 though. The only thing that's going to hurt you is 80 in a 55, NJ is really cracking down on speeding and I know they're starting to give out harsher penalties. Stick to the "late for class, had an exam, professor isn't too lenient when it comes to tardiness and you didn't want to risk getting a zero on the exam." That should help your case, make sure you come off really apologetic about it as well.

could you explain a bit more please.. so no points on my dl but not on insurance? also is a lawyer that cheap? what does probation mean? and my ticket has no $ set, it just says non-payable, and has the court date set below

edit- called dmv i wont be suspended, they wont give me any amount on the fees and the court cannot disclose fees either, so lame

im really trusting you guys, are you sure theres a payment plan?, i moved my court date to monday 9am

op usually when you get a speeding ticket/moving violation your gonna get solicitation letters in the mail, from attorneys that want to get your ticket dismissed or look to try and see if they get you on probation or deferred adjudication. The type of lawyer im talking about aint no criminal lawyer just a dude that literally handles moving violations only and ties the court up for months with delays that eventually you get a favorable outcome such as probation or if you are really lucky dismissal. the fee is relatively cheap to get one like 60 bucks just dont let it go into warrant status then the fee is higher for that. But to answer your question about probation it means that you cant get another moving violation for 90 days in that county, you dont get any its not on your record and your insurance never hears about it.

Last edited:
Go to your local DMV, pay the ticket before the due date, and enjoy peace of mind.

Or you can fight it. I usually just pay it so I dont have to deal with the inconvenience.

take the initiative and go to traffic school. I was lucky and knew someone who taught the course, they just signed the papers for a little extra cash.

Fam, I'm from Nj as well .. being that this is your first ticket, you're probably going to end up with a fine and no points in court. You will probably get charged with careless driving if you talk to the prosecutor. The fine is about $417 though. The only thing that's going to hurt you is 80 in a 55, NJ is really cracking down on speeding and I know they're starting to give out harsher penalties. Stick to the "late for class, had an exam, professor isn't too lenient when it comes to tardiness and you didn't want to risk getting a zero on the exam." That should help your case, make sure you come off really apologetic about it as well.

how sure are you of this? of receiving 0 points?

ive been reading online and supposedly there is a difference from points from/on the dmv/license and points on the insurance, meaning the insurance company will see that i received 4points no matter what i plea down too.. is this true?

Got 90 in a 55 a few months ago, got hit with 8 points, lawyer knocked it down to three just need to take the 6 hour course to get a clean license again.

Every time I drive at night and a car is behind me I think it's a damn cop :smh:

Worst feeling in the world

how much $ ballpark range did the lawyer cost you, if you dont mind me asking?

You have an NJ license right? When you go to court the judge will offer you a deal where the ticket eill be no points but the fine will be doubled. Or you can take the points and the regular fine. If I recall you are only allowed to use this once every 5 years. Just do that and you will be good.

Good luck OP.

Got a ticket last year, postponed the date. Cop didn't show up, judge made new date so cop can show up. Cop still doesn't show up judge made new date so cop can show up Cop showed up, didn't get lesser charge. Clean driving record, had license 3 years no tickets ever.
4 points about 300 In fines

I'm black though, so I expected the justice system to have its way with me.

Cop had a white lady he ticketed also, said he lost his notes for her though, judge dismissed hers....

Got a ticket last year, postponed the date. Cop didn't show up, judge made new date so cop can show up. Cop still doesn't show up judge made new date so cop can show up Cop showed up, didn't get lesser charge. Clean driving record, had license 3 years no tickets ever.
4 points about 300 In fines

I'm black though, so I expected the justice system to have its way with me.

Cop had a white lady he ticketed also, said he lost his notes for her though, judge dismissed hers....

Well did you do whatever you got the ticket for? If yes, why are you pulling the race card when you were wrong? :lol:

Stop sign ticket. I stopped at the stop sign....
Was first asked what was I doing around the area I was stopped when they saw my address on my id.
Race card? Who made and put it in the deck if I'm pulling it?

Back
Top Bottom