So I'm going to be a Respiratory Therapist....

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

^^^^That's not bad at all....where do I sign up?
laugh.gif
Where are you located? For some reason, I'm thinking New York City?

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

UTVOL23, so you're an MD? I got much respect for those who have the title "MD" after their name. Look at AntonLaVey's weekly threads complaining about school
laugh.gif
. I just hope your writing is legible because some of these docs man, you can't read their chicken scratch.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

As far as those egotistical physicians goes, I've worked with them (as a student rotating through various hospitals). It's hard to give your input because they think they're all high and mighty and they know everything. They're not very receptive of a suggestion. One time as a student, I was just watching a bronchoscopy procedure and this physician was straight up yelling at everybody.
smh.gif

I gotta deal with this #$$#$ 3rd and 4th year and for 5 years of residency
smh.gif
And surgery attendings are the worst from what I've heard. Like they're literally the worst human beings on the planet.

Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Medical School

1. If I had known what it was going to be like, I would never have done it.
2. You’ll study more than you ever have in your life.
3. Only half of your class will be in the top 50%. You have a 50% chance of being in the top half of your class. Get used to it now.
4. You don’t need to know anatomy before school starts. Or pathology. Or physiology.
5. Third year rotations will suck the life out you.
6. Several people from your class will have sex with each other. You might be one of the lucky participants.
7. You may discover early on that medicine isn’t for you.
8. You don’t have to be AOA or have impeccable board scores to match somewhere - only if you’re matching into radiology.
9. Your social life may suffer some.
10. Pelvic exams are the suck.
11. You won’t be a medical student on the surgery service. You’ll be the retractor @%+$%.
12. Residents will probably ask you to retrieve some type of nourishment for them.
13. Most of your time on rotations will be wasted. Thrown away. Down the drain.
14. You’ll work with at least one attending physician who you’ll want to beat the %%!+ out of.
15. You’ll work with at least three residents who you’ll want to beat the %%!+ out of.
16. You’ll ask a stranger about the quality of their stools.
17. You’ll ask post-op patients if they’ve farted within the last 24 hours.
18. At some point during your stay, a stranger’s bodily fluids will most likely come into contact with your exposed skin.
19. Somebody in your class will flunk out of medical school.
20. You’ll work 14 days straight without a single day off. Probably multiple times.
21. A student in your class will have sex with an attending or resident.
22. After the first two years are over, your summer breaks will no longer exist. Enjoy them as much as you can.
23. You’ll be sleep deprived.
24. There will be times on certain rotations where you won’t be allowed to eat.
25. You will be pimped.
26. You’ll wake up one day and ask yourself is this really what you want out of life.
27. You’ll party a lot during the first two years, but then that pretty much ends at the beginning of your junior year.
28. You’ll probably change your specialty of choice at least 4 times.
29. You’ll spend a good deal of your time playing social worker.
30. You’ll learn that medical insurance reimbursement is a huge problem, particularly for primary care physicians.
31. Nurses will treat you badly, simply because you are a medical student.
32. There will be times when you’ll be ignored by your attending or resident.
33. You will develop a thick skin. If you fail to do this, you’ll cry often.
34. Public humiliation is very commonplace in medical training.
35. Surgeons are %@+$*!@!. Take my word for it now.
36. OB/GYN residents are treated like %%!+, and that %%!+ runs downhill. Be ready to pick it up and sleep with it.
37. It’s always the medical student’s fault.
38. Gunner is a derogatory word. It’s almost as bad as racial slurs.
39. You’ll look forward to the weekend, not so you can relax and have a good time but so you can catch up on studying for the week.
40. Your house might go uncleaned for two weeks during an intensive exam block.
41. As a medical student on rotations, you don’t matter. In fact, you get in the way and impede productivity.
42. There’s a fair chance that you will be physically struck by a nurse, resident, or attending physician. This may include slapped on the hand or kicked on the shin in order to instruct you to “move

oh man that list got my eyes all effed up but what a good laugh, i would love to go back to school and become a pulmonologist one day....

:-/

Originally Posted by HlfBlkHlfNike

UTVOL23- What area do you specialize in, if you don't mind me asking?

Paul- My bad. I already know how long the program is.  I'm an RT as well.  I just heard if you are from out of state, getting a license to practice in California can be troublesome.  I may need to apply for one soon, as I may consider applying to grad/med schools out there next year? 
Specialize in Radiology. So you know i dont know crap about managing a vent
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ksteezy

oh man that list got my eyes all effed up but what a good laugh, i would love to go back to school and become a pulmonologist one day....

:-/
It's funny to you but I read that $#@@ and
alien.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

UTVOL23- What area do you specialize in, if you don't mind me asking?

Paul- My bad. I already know how long the program is.  I'm an RT as well.  I just heard if you are from out of state, getting a license to practice in California can be troublesome.  I may need to apply for one soon, as I may consider applying to grad/med schools out there next year? 
Specialize in Radiology. So you know i dont know crap about managing a vent
roll.gif

embarassed.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Paul Is On Tilt wrote:

Damn, you should have asked me this 2 weeks ago
laugh.gif
. I had a co-worker from Memphis, but she quit 2 weeks ago and moved back to Memphis to be closer to her family. I could have just asked her.

Its all good.  Probably just allot of paperwork.

Originally Posted by HRelos

Originally Posted by quik1987

Both my brother and sister are RTs. You can make 100k.

Thats what I wanna hear haha.
Where my dude? I'll drop out of med school tonite.
Like I said before, you can make 100k, but you have to work at two institutions to earn 100k. Work at a 12-hr place for 3 days, then you have 4 days to work at another institution as per diem and pick up a 2 shifts. You'll still have 2 days in the week to lounge and relax so it's not bad at all.

This.
pimp.gif
 I took 18 upper division credits this semester and still worked full-time. (3 days a week)

Anton- That list is so discouraging.
laugh.gif
  So many of the physicians I work with tell me the risk isn't worth the reward...

UTVOL23, so you're an MD? I got much respect for those who have the title "MD" after their name. Look at AntonLaVey's weekly threads complaining about school
laugh.gif
. I just hope your writing is legible because some of these docs man, you can't read their chicken scratch.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

As far as those egotistical physicians goes, I've worked with them (as a student rotating through various hospitals). It's hard to give your input because they think they're all high and mighty and they know everything. They're not very receptive of a suggestion. One time as a student, I was just watching a bronchoscopy procedure and this physician was straight up yelling at everybody.
smh.gif

I gotta deal with this #$$#$ 3rd and 4th year and for 5 years of residency
smh.gif
And surgery attendings are the worst from what I've heard. Like they're literally the worst human beings on the planet.

Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Medical School

1. If I had known what it was going to be like, I would never have done it.
2. You’ll study more than you ever have in your life.
3. Only half of your class will be in the top 50%. You have a 50% chance of being in the top half of your class. Get used to it now.
4. You don’t need to know anatomy before school starts. Or pathology. Or physiology.
5. Third year rotations will suck the life out you.
6. Several people from your class will have sex with each other. You might be one of the lucky participants. <VERY TRUE
7. You may discover early on that medicine isn’t for you.
8. You don’t have to be AOA or have impeccable board scores to match somewhere - only if you’re matching into radiology. <YEP GO RADS LOL
9. Your social life may suffer some.
10. Pelvic exams are the suck.
11. You won’t be a medical student on the surgery service. You’ll be the retractor @%+$%.
12. Residents will probably ask you to retrieve some type of nourishment for them.
13. Most of your time on rotations will be wasted. Thrown away. Down the drain.
14. You’ll work with at least one attending physician who you’ll want to beat the %%!+ out of.
15. You’ll work with at least three residents who you’ll want to beat the %%!+ out of.
16. You’ll ask a stranger about the quality of their stools.
17. You’ll ask post-op patients if they’ve farted within the last 24 hours.
18. At some point during your stay, a stranger’s bodily fluids will most likely come into contact with your exposed skin.
19. Somebody in your class will flunk out of medical school.
20. You’ll work 14 days straight without a single day off. Probably multiple times.
21. A student in your class will have sex with an attending or resident.
22. After the first two years are over, your summer breaks will no longer exist. Enjoy them as much as you can.
23. You’ll be sleep deprived.
24. There will be times on certain rotations where you won’t be allowed to eat.
25. You will be pimped.
26. You’ll wake up one day and ask yourself is this really what you want out of life.
27. You’ll party a lot during the first two years, but then that pretty much ends at the beginning of your junior year.
28. You’ll probably change your specialty of choice at least 4 times.
29. You’ll spend a good deal of your time playing social worker.
30. You’ll learn that medical insurance reimbursement is a huge problem, particularly for primary care physicians.
31. Nurses will treat you badly, simply because you are a medical student.
32. There will be times when you’ll be ignored by your attending or resident.
33. You will develop a thick skin. If you fail to do this, you’ll cry often.
34. Public humiliation is very commonplace in medical training.
35. Surgeons are %@+$*!@!. Take my word for it now.
36. OB/GYN residents are treated like %%!+, and that %%!+ runs downhill. Be ready to pick it up and sleep with it.
37. It’s always the medical student’s fault.
38. Gunner is a derogatory word. It’s almost as bad as racial slurs.
39. You’ll look forward to the weekend, not so you can relax and have a good time but so you can catch up on studying for the week.
40. Your house might go uncleaned for two weeks during an intensive exam block.
41. As a medical student on rotations, you don’t matter. In fact, you get in the way and impede productivity.
42. There’s a fair chance that you will be physically struck by a nurse, resident, or attending physician. This may include slapped on the hand or kicked on the shin in order to instruct you to “move

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

smh.gif

The scary thing is that all those statements are very true. Any idea what you want to go into Anton?
Well I'm turning on the super gunner mode to kill the boards next year, good news/sign I been killing the cumulative NBME subject exams we had to take this year. With a good step 1 score I'll feel more confident about my choices. But any of these 3 would suit me...

1.Ortho trauma
2. Gen Surg/ Trauma fellowship
ohwell.gif

3. Rads (Depending on how ambitious I feel at the time....no offense, not saying yall aren't hard working but I wanna sit down and read x-rays at my own pace while multitasking and browsing NT)

I'm going into this with an open mind but I'm leaning toward anything surgical/trauma (with the military)...this may all change once I encounter those surgery attendings I've heard so many great things about
laugh.gif

Damn that list posted by Anton is dead on with the stuff one of my best friends told me.  Homeboy is finishing up his 2nd year at VCU and he told me a few weeks ago that he's DREADING third year because the clinical grading is arbitrary/biased as hell and those grades can make or break matching into certain specialties.  He's black also so he's bound to run into a few closet racist attendings/residents that are gonna try to screw him out of matching into Anesthesiology which is one of the hardest to get into
smh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

smh.gif

The scary thing is that all those statements are very true. Any idea what you want to go into Anton?
Well I'm turning on the super gunner mode to kill the boards next year, good news/sign I been killing the cumulative NBME subject exams we had to take this year. With a good step 1 score I'll feel more confident about my choices. But any of these 3 would suit me...

1.Ortho trauma
ohwell.gif

3. Rads (Depending on how ambitious I feel at the time....no offense, not saying yall aren't hard working but I wanna sit down and read x-rays at my own pace while multitasking and browsing NT)

I'm going into this with an open mind but I'm leaning toward anything surgical/trauma (with the military)...this may all change once surgery attendings I've heard so many great things about
laugh.gif
I was driven towards Ortho from high school until late 3rd yr of med school, and then I found RADS and boy am i glad i did. I have a feeling youll switch come time to apply for residency. I love surgery and ortho but i wasnt 100% sure that what i wanted to do and if you arent 100% i wouldnt do it.

Also dont let people fool you into thinking Rads is all cush. Radiologists work damn hard.

Originally Posted by kicksNbeats

Damn that list posted by Anton is dead on with the stuff one of my best friends told me.  Homeboy is finishing up his 2nd year at VCU and he told me a few weeks ago that he's DREADING third year because the clinical grading is arbitrary/biased as hell and those grades can make or break matching into certain specialties.  He's black also so he's bound to run into a few closet racist attendings/residents that are gonna try to screw him out of matching into Anesthesiology which is one of the hardest to get into
smh.gif
I'm going to struggle third year....1st and 2nd is difficult material-wise but I pretty much have control over my destiny which is why I'm hellbent on killing the step one and getting as many As as I can. Second year on the other hand is an extremely subjective grading system. I've heard people who did all they were told, showed up early, put in their best effort on every rotation and got bad evals.

Tell your boy gluck...I heard anesthesiology isn't all that bad
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

smh.gif

1.Ortho trauma
ohwell.gif

I'm going into this with an open mind but I'm leaning toward anything surgical/trauma (with the military)...this may all change once surgery attendings I've heard so many great things about
laugh.gif
I was driven towards Ortho from high school until late 3rd yr of med school, and then I found RADS and boy am i glad i did. I have a feeling youll switch come time to apply for residency. I love surgery and ortho but i wasnt 100% sure that what i wanted to do and if you arent 100% i wouldnt do it.

Also dont let people fool you into thinking Rads is all cush. Radiologists work damn hard.
Either way congrats, it certainly wasn't a cake-walk to get into...I know that much. I've seen the stats for those accepted into rads residencies
sick.gif
. But anyhow like I said I'm pretty open-minded, and will wait and see what my step 1 scores and how my third year clerkships go. Ortho is great tho, I went to the annual conference in New Orleans and those orthopods are an interesting bunch.

The equipment exhibit during the conference blew me away.
eek.gif
Some of that stuff looks super-high tech and expensive.

Any socal RTs in here, it seems to me that if you want to get into an acute hospital you need either a gang o

Originally Posted by kicksNbeats

smh.gif
If he does his work and shows initiative he shouldnt have much of a problem doing well on his rotations. Anesthesiology isnt easy to get into but more middle/upper middle of the road  in regards to competitiveness.  The top tier are Plastics, Derm, Radiology, Ophthalmology, and Ortho is up there too.

Most people correlate STEP 1 scores competitiveness as Step 1 is a significant factor when applying to residency. If youre interested you can go to this link and check out slide #13:  http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

Anton you can complaint all you want but you wouldn't be doing it if you didn't love it, you are in awesome position and well ahead, a good career as rewarding as the one you chose isn't just handed to you, you've got to earn those stripes homie!...in a few years you will be passing down the torch and tearing new *%!+%$%+ on the new med students, just like it's being done to you now. Best of luck! :smile:

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Anton you can complaint all you want but you wouldn't be doing it if you didn't love it, you are in awesome position and well ahead, a good career as rewarding as the one you chose isn't just handed to you, you've got to earn those stripes homie!...in a few years you will be passing down the torch and tearing new *%!+%$%+ on the new med students, just like it's being done to you now. Best of luck! :smile:
I'm allowed to vent it's how I deal with it
happy.gif
but you're right I'd be out of here if there wasn't a little shred of my being that loved the punishment. Most people who don't think it's worth it drop the first few weeks/months.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

smh.gif

1.Ortho trauma
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif

Either way congrats, it certainly wasn't a cake-walk to get into...I know that much. I've seen the stats for those accepted into rads residencies
sick.gif
. But anyhow like I said I'm pretty open-minded, and will wait and see what my step 1 scores and how my third year clerkships go. Ortho is great tho, I went to the annual conference in New Orleans and those orthopods are an interesting bunch.

The equipment exhibit during the conference blew me away.
eek.gif
Some of that stuff looks super-high tech and expensive.
Dont worry man if you are knockin out A's in first and second yr it is rare for someone to fall off and not do well 3rd year. 4th year at least for me was a joke like a vacation and my intern yr well lets just say I love it.
Just dont take Step 1 lightly that unfortunately is probably one of the biggest door closers when it comes to getting into the residency of your choice

Any socal RTs in here, it seems to me that if you want to get into an acute hospital you need either a gang of experience or a mad conncects. I have little experience less than a year and no connects, any advice on how to get hired. I'm RRT eligible got pals/acls/bls and looking to get my rrt this month and nrp certification. Dream job would be at kaiser, as of now I'm stuck at a wack sub acute and get no days. Can't wait til all the old school RTs retire

Healthcare is definitely a good route to take right now. More specifically travel healthcare positions. I recruit nurses and allied professionals and the amount of money these folks make for 13 week assignments is ridiculous. TECHS AND THERAPISTS know what's up.

wOodTactics, just a heads up, Kaiser Facilities are VERY picky about who they take into their hospitals, so make sure your certs and experience are up to par. Good thing about Kaisers is that they don't shy away from recent grads (one year or more) and have TONS or nursing and allied needs right now.

Any of you guys looking to get into travel healthcare, feel free to PM me..

Back
Top Bottom