So like..We all agree (yeah right..) that the best BIG in the League all around is...

pau%20gasol.jpg

RIGHT?

Sure we do... because he is
grin.gif
. But aside from that, are we still calling him SOFT? What's the consensus on that? Has his skill level surpassed his one fallacy as a big man?

I mean, he shoots like Yao,
pau-gosal-nc-zumawirewestphotos730438-lakers-vs.jpg

Posts like Duncan, runs the floor and handles the rock like like Dirk,
pau-gasol-drives-on-robin-lopez.jpg
paugasol.jpg
Pau+Gasol+Dunks+On+Danilo+Gallinari+3.jpg

Rebounds in the 9s and 10s like Big Z (As if Bynum wasn't grabbing 8, Odom another 8, and Kobe and Artest weren't combining for 10.. EASY)
Pau+Gasol+snatches+a+rebound+inside+agains+the+Orlando+Magic.jpg

Plays excellent D with regards to his weight and smothering height/length
the-magics-howard-posts-up-against-the-lakers-pau-gasol-during-the-game.jpg

Let's be real... he even has softer hands than most guards (think about all the one hand grabs, tough catches in the paint, touch passes, etc....). Pau is BY far the best number 2 option on any team of the past 3 seasons..clearly. He's better than Boozer. He's better than Amare. He's as productive or more than any 2 of the Three Party on most nights. Swap him for Dirk and LA might be worse off, and Dirk is an MVP. I'd say Bosh is more productive and MUCH more assertive, and I'd agree if someone said Pau had his chance to be the lead singer of his band but he wasn't hitting the right notes. But if you take the Pau Gasol from today and isolate him on a similar team, do you actually doubt his numbers would be better than before?

In lieu of all the Laker hate going around my area, I think it's time for Pau to have an appreciation post...  so get to appreciating chumps 
grin.gif

pau_gasol.jpg

He's the best 4 in the NBA....but in looking around the league, most of the 4's are soft anyways....it's a VERY weak crop.

But, opinions will change if he doesn't come up against KG....KG owned his %+# in 08', so Pau has a lot to prove...IMO

His help side defense could get better, but yeah he's the best all around big man in the league right now.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

He's the best 4 in the NBA....but in looking around the league, most of the 4's are soft anyways....it's a VERY weak crop.

But, opinions will change if he doesn't come up against KG....KG owned his %+# in 08', so Pau has a lot to prove...IMO

Unfair assessment IMO... that was like watching the Acolytes whoop on Billy Bad $+$ with no Road Dogg 
grin.gif
. Not only was Pau physically weaker, but mentally as well. AND he didn't have Bynum down there to even the score so the Celts were just bullying my dude
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I was just thinkin about this two days ago. Do you know what I really think brings him alot more success than people think? Keeping the ball high. You see a number of posts bring the ball down low on the block or off of boards. I think Pau is the only player who continually keeps the ball high on any hustle play in the paint. If he doesnt do that, cut at least 6-8 ppg off of his average.

He has gotten significantly better over the past two years. Dude has always been a good player, but I think this year he took the extra step in being a star.

I am very close to agreeing with you OP.

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

Unfair assessment IMO... that was like watching the Acolytes whoop on Billy Bad $+$ with no Road Dogg 
grin.gif
. Not only was Pau physically weaker, but mentally as well. AND he didn't have Bynum down there to even the score so the Celts were just bullying my dude
laugh.gif
smh.gif

that is absolutely NOT an unfair assessment....if Pau comes up short, and it's because KG is hounding his %$# and beating him down mentally/physically, that will say alot and go a long way in people's viewpoints about Pau being the unquestioned best 4 in the NBA.  Right now, there's no debate....but, he has a tough challenge in KG ahead. 

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

I was just thinkin about this two days ago. Do you know what I really think brings him alot more success than people think? Keeping the ball high. You see a number of posts bring the ball down low on the block or off of boards. I think Pau is the only player who continually keeps the ball high on any hustle play in the paint. If he doesnt do that, cut at least 6-8 ppg off of his average.

He has gotten significantly better over the past two years. Dude has always been a good player, but I think this year he took the extra step in being a star.

You're right. But what's funny, Bynum has the highest hands in the L. I have NOTHING but respect for that facet of Bynum's game. Twinkle toes and high hands...
pimp.gif

that is absolutely NOT an unfair assessment....if Pau comes up short, and it's because KG is hounding his %$# and beating him down mentally/physically, that will say alot and go a long way in people's viewpoints about Pau being the unquestioned best 4 in the NBA.  Right now, there's no debate....but, he has a tough challenge in KG ahead. 
Alot of people have watched KGs Hall of Fame career for a longer time than others have watched Pau's gold medal validated ability. That's all that says to me. I expect a player like KG to have a mental edge and to be more intense than Pau. That's just who he's proven himself to be. But an intense 14 and 8 ain't touching a laid back 22 and 10. That's all I'm saying. Pau will never be the shark in the water than KG or even Bosh seem to be. But he's the best at what HE does.

Originally Posted by OneTrust

You guys are buggin. 

Antawn Jamison = Pau Gasol.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif

What up, my dude.

Word, just a few weeks ago, cats on here were trying to downplay the Lakers supporting cast.
smh.gif

Pau has ALWAYS been good. Even back in his Grizz days. Dudes was just frontin' on him cuz it was one of those situations where you had 1 guy putting in work on a subpar team (ala Granger or Shareef). And of course, the usual whispers of him being soft or whatever.

But like I said, Pau has ALWAYS been good.

You guys are buggin. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

no you buggin
smh.gif

even tho Pau is a little soft, the post moves he makes are beautiful.
He keeps the ball up high and has great footwork.
his Defense isnt all that, but it's not asked to be.
Def. the best offensive moves for any post player imo

You're right. But what's funny, Bynum has the highest hands in the L. I have NOTHING but respect for that facet of Bynum's game. Twinkle toes and high hands...
pimp.gif

Alot of people have watched KGs Hall of Fame career for a longer time than others have watched Pau's gold medal validated ability. That's all that says to me. I expect a player like KG to have a mental edge and to be more intense than Pau. That's just who he's proven himself to be. But an intense 14 and 8 ain't touching a laid back 22 and 10. That's all I'm saying. Pau will never be the shark in the water than KG or even Bosh seem to be. But he's the best at what HE does.

Like I said before, Pau is arguably the best 4 in the NBA....but if he comes up short like he did in 08', a lot of people are going to question that top spot.  They are going to be scrutinizing his game like what's happening to Dwight Howard.  Pau has a ring, but he wasn't playing against a defensive minded/intense 4 while going against the Magic.  This is a HUGE test.  I'm sure Pau doesn't want to have a repeat performance, so he's going to try his hardest to overcome KG's intensity and intimidation tactics and try to do his thing in the post etc....KG knows which guys he can pick on and get off their games, so I'm positive he's going to be ready as well.  This battle within the battle is going to be fun to watch....

Since you're a wrestling guy...I'll leave you with this [ric flair] to be the man, you gotta BEAT the man [/ric flair]

[table][tr][td]DATE[/td][td]OPP[/td][td]RESULT[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG[/td][td]PCT[/td][td]3P[/td][td]PCT[/td][td]FT[/td][td]PCT[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]TO[/td][td]PF[/td][td]OFF[/td][td]DEF[/td][td]TOT[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/5[/td][td]@Bos
[/td][td]L 98-88[/td][td]41[/td][td]6-11[/td][td].545[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]3-4[/td][td].750[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]3[/td][td]2[/td][td]6[/td][td]8[/td][td]4[/td][td]15[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/8[/td][td]@Bos
[/td][td]L 108-102[/td][td]40[/td][td]8-12[/td][td].667[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]1-1[/td][td]1.000[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]1[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]7[/td][td]10[/td][td]4[/td][td]17[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/10[/td][td]Bos
[/td][td]W 87-81[/td][td]39[/td][td]3-9[/td][td].333[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]3-8[/td][td].375[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]9[/td][td]12[/td][td]2[/td][td]9[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/12[/td][td]Bos
[/td][td]L 97-91[/td][td]38[/td][td]6-13[/td][td].462[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]5-7[/td][td].714[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][td]9[/td][td]10[/td][td]2[/td][td]17[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/15[/td][td]Bos
[/td][td]W 103-98[/td][td]42[/td][td]6-10[/td][td].600[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]7-10[/td][td].700[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]10[/td][td]13[/td][td]6[/td][td]19[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/17[/td][td]@Bos
[/td][td]L 131-92[/td][td]32[/td][td]4-7[/td][td].571[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]3-4[/td][td].750[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]5[/td][td]3[/td][td]0[/td][td]8[/td][td]8[/td][td]2[/td][td]11[/td][/tr][/table]

I would still rather have Dirk but maybe thats just me.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

You guys are buggin. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

no you buggin
smh.gif

even tho Pau is a little soft, the post moves he makes are beautiful.
He keeps the ball up high and has great footwork.
his Defense isnt all that, but it's not asked to be.
Def. the best offensive moves for any post player imo
I was being sarcastic.

The homie SHUGES caught on.  Laker/Kobe fans on here a few weeks ago tried to make it seem as if Jamison was JUST as good as Pau.
smh.gif

pimp.gif

Like I said before, Pau is arguably the best 4 in the NBA....but if he comes up short like he did in 08', a lot of people are going to question that top spot.  They are going to be scrutinizing his game like what's happening to Dwight Howard.  Pau has a ring, but he wasn't playing against a defensive minded/intense 4 while going against the Magic.  This is a HUGE test.  I'm sure Pau doesn't want to have a repeat performance, so he's going to try his hardest to overcome KG's intensity and intimidation tactics and try to do his thing in the post etc....KG knows which guys he can pick on and get off their games, so I'm positive he's going to be ready as well.  This battle within the battle is going to be fun to watch....

Since you're a wrestling guy...I'll leave you with this [ric flair] to be the man, you gotta BEAT the man [/ric flair]

[table][tr][td]DATE[/td][td]OPP[/td][td]RESULT[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FG[/td][td]PCT[/td][td]3P[/td][td]PCT[/td][td]FT[/td][td]PCT[/td][td]STL[/td][td]BLK[/td][td]TO[/td][td]PF[/td][td]OFF[/td][td]DEF[/td][td]TOT[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PTS[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/5[/td][td]@Bos
[/td][td]L 98-88[/td][td]41[/td][td]6-11[/td][td].545[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]3-4[/td][td].750[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]3[/td][td]2[/td][td]6[/td][td]8[/td][td]4[/td][td]15[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/8[/td][td]@Bos
[/td][td]L 108-102[/td][td]40[/td][td]8-12[/td][td].667[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]1-1[/td][td]1.000[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]1[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]7[/td][td]10[/td][td]4[/td][td]17[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/10[/td][td]Bos
[/td][td]W 87-81[/td][td]39[/td][td]3-9[/td][td].333[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]3-8[/td][td].375[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]9[/td][td]12[/td][td]2[/td][td]9[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/12[/td][td]Bos
[/td][td]L 97-91[/td][td]38[/td][td]6-13[/td][td].462[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]5-7[/td][td].714[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][td]9[/td][td]10[/td][td]2[/td][td]17[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/15[/td][td]Bos
[/td][td]W 103-98[/td][td]42[/td][td]6-10[/td][td].600[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]7-10[/td][td].700[/td][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]10[/td][td]13[/td][td]6[/td][td]19[/td][/tr][tr][td]6/17[/td][td]@Bos
[/td][td]L 131-92[/td][td]32[/td][td]4-7[/td][td].571[/td][td]0-0
[/td][td]--[/td][td]3-4[/td][td].750[/td][td]0[/td][td]0[/td][td]5[/td][td]3[/td][td]0[/td][td]8[/td][td]8[/td][td]2[/td][td]11[/td][/tr][/table]
If we're talking the matchup WITHIN the matchup, then instead of posting who won the game, find me KG's statline on those same games.. fair?  Cuz all I see are double doubles and evidence of good pass outs from the post..
pimp.gif

2010 finals MVP?
nerd.gif

NEVER.

kobe-bryant1.jpg

I was being sarcastic.

The homie SHUGES caught on.  Laker/Kobe fans on here a few weeks ago tried to make it seem as if Jamison was JUST as good as Pau.
smh.gif

They did? Boy I thought you were serious. I almost hit ignore
laugh.gif

Laker/Kobe fans on here a few weeks ago tried to make it seem as if Jamison was JUST as good as Pau.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by cguy610

Tobe the best you have to beat the best.  How ya'll dudes making excusesfor LeBron if they don't win the title?  How you gonna switch it up to"Kobe just has the better team" but if LeBron wins it, "he's the bestplayer I've ever seen". 

I like LeBron and want to see him win the title but there's no excuses this year.

Bynum = Shaq
Gasol = Jamison
Artest < LeBron
Kobe > Anthony Parker
Fisher < Mo Williams 

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Laker/Kobe fans on here a few weeks ago tried to make it seem as if Jamison was JUST as good as Pau.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by cguy610

Tobe the best you have to beat the best.  How ya'll dudes making excusesfor LeBron if they don't win the title?  How you gonna switch it up to"Kobe just has the better team" but if LeBron wins it, "he's the bestplayer I've ever seen". 

I like LeBron and want to see him win the title but there's no excuses this year.

Bynum = Shaq
Gasol = Jamison
Artest < LeBron
Kobe > Anthony Parker
Fisher < Mo Williams 

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

When in reality it's more like..

Bynum > Shaq
Gasol >>>> Jamison
Artest > A.P
Kobe > LeBron
Fisher = Mo Williams 

Makes ALL the dfference.. cuz Mo only plays the first 82 games.. and Fish only cares about the relevent 16 after that
pimp.gif

maybe he didnt watch the Celtics series?
I'm just not all that sure it's relevant. These teams are totally different mentally and several players have come and gone, or improved (or vanished completely..SASHA
eyes.gif
). I just don't think of this as a rematch. these are two different teams IMO.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

*shrugs*
maybe he didnt watch the Celtics series?
I'm thinking the same thing if all he sees are double/doubles from Pau.....

I'm just not all that sure it's relevant.

It's absolutely relevant...because there were little-to-no-questions abotu Pau being soft until KG and the C's took him off his game.  After that Lakers/C's series, even die-hard LA fans were questioning the heart of #16.  Trust me...2 years ago is not a long time, and Pau has more to prove against the Celtics than anyone else on that roster.  Especially since he's being touted as the best 4 in the NBA

Back
Top Bottom