So word on the street is, JB is cutting off mom and pops stores in July.

If it means more pairs in the bigger chains and online

I'm down for it

Mom and Pop stores better start slinging them Adidas, Reeboks, New Balance and Asics,

View media item 1379665

If it means more pairs in the bigger chains and online
I'm down for it

Mom and Pop stores better start slinging them Adidas, Reeboks, New Balance and Asics,

Theyll be fine. Im sure everyone gonna flock to get that adidas kanye when theres a gazillion pairs. Hell reebok may not even exist anymore by next year. Nike playin chess not checkers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sure theyll be fine. Im sure everyone gonna flock to get that adidas kanye when theres a gazillion pairs. Hell reebok may not even exist anymore by next year. Nike playin chess not checkers.
They will be just fine not doubt about it

Theyll be fine. Im sure everyone gonna flock to get that adidas kanye when theres a gazillion pairs. Hell reebok may not even exist anymore by next year. Nike playin chess not checkers.

That got that crossfit and ufc money. They'll be good for a long time.

I used to have a shop around my way that would get all of the retros back in the day.  All I had to do was reserve which ever ones I wanted and I paid retail.  No lining up, no raffles, none of the non-sense there is now.  Fast forward to present day, they started increasing the prices and started making people wait in line for the shoes.  I think JB cut them off because they would get very few models and lately they haven't been getting anything.  I'm sort of sad and glad JB decided to do this.  On one hand, it's probably going to be more difficult for people to get their pairs if they were used to going to the neighborhood shop.  It will definitely put a dent in the shop's revenue since JB has releases almost every weekend.  On the other hand, it punishes the shops that don't follow proper procedure and want to screw over the customer by inflating the price.  Wonder what this will do to some of those online retailers.

he may have not charged you taxs but did you pay retail for the shoe or 3x the price
Of course I paid retail... that's what I/we would've paid anywhere u bought the shoes from. Who or what store isn't going to charge u at least MSRP? I was just saying he always showed me love by letting me get them early and not charging me city/state tax. That was just cool of him and always saved me $15-$20

Last edited:

I used to have a shop around my way that would get all of the retros back in the day.  All I had to do was reserve which ever ones I wanted and I paid retail.  No lining up, no raffles, none of the non-sense there is now.  Fast forward to present day, they started increasing the prices and started making people wait in line for the shoes.  I think JB cut them off because they would get very few models and lately they haven't been getting anything.  I'm sort of sad and glad JB decided to do this.  On one hand, it's probably going to be more difficult for people to get their pairs if they were used to going to the neighborhood shop.  It will definitely put a dent in the shop's revenue since JB has releases almost every weekend.  On the other hand, it punishes the shops that don't follow proper procedure and want to screw over the customer by inflating the price.  Wonder what this will do to some of those online retailers.
I used to reserve like that as well at my local shop. but the owner told me that becamse "illegal" a few years ago. apparently that's something JB tried to stop awhile back

its not going to change the prices, now jordan will be able to charge 300 for retros and 6 bills for packs..

it also not gonna stop places like nikelab selling their whole stock to ig famous resellers.

nothing to help the consumer here...

I bet they produce and sell more themselves online

Make 100% profit rather than 55 from mom n pop who are doing your brand dirty

Getting charged 220 for cool grey 11s two weeks early really wasn't bad at all, I say u did right. But I ain't surprised at all Nike is doing this, they want all the way on every dollar. It's business never personal. Resell may get worse but oh well most releases I'm passing on this year anyway

I used to reserve like that as well at my local shop. but the owner told me that becamse "illegal" a few years ago. apparently that's something JB tried to stop awhile back
I'm thinking that's probably what happened to my shop too.  It's a shame how things are now.

JB cutting off the supply man to make top dollar on their inventory..smh. Wouldn't be surprised if it has been discussed or will be discussed at some point to stop selling these through big chain stores as well..

Bad for the owners of the shops because retros kept the $ flowing. BUT, at the same time I don't feel bad. In recent months, I went back to the mom and pop shop my dad used to buy my sneakers from. From what I remember, they were cool. One of his former players he knew worked there for years (RIP) and hooked me up for retail and no tax all the time. I used to think that was the best ever growing up (until I had access to my own discount). Anyway, went back there to ask for Carmine information last year....I went in Feb, they told me to come back in May. Came in May, was told to check around RD. Came in RD...sold out. I was tight. Let the worker know about my interest in Sport Blue VI's...he said come 10 days before RD. I thought that meant put your name down and they will hold down your size on RD, nope. They sold them 10 before RD. They had my size when I went, but at $275....
indifferent.gif
. Called back around RD, they still had em...for $250....
indifferent.gif
. It rubbed me the wrong way, this is not the sneaker store I grew up with. I told dude in the store straight out, I respect that you have a business to run, but your price for those is crazy and not worth it. I told him I wasn't going to do that price and declined. I felt like I was dealing with a reseller and not a mom and pop I know. I was more disappointed they went that route and didn't sell at retail. They are no different than resellers imo. 

JB cutting off the supply man to make top dollar on their inventory..smh. Wouldn't be surprised if it has been discussed or will be discussed at some point to stop selling these through big chain stores as well..

Nah. The chains have to buy a certain percentage of the crap NIke product to get the retro J's and other sought after items. Nike's using them to their advantage.

I used to go to this place near me called sports world, mom and pop store back in early 2000s and they used to sell Retros.  I dunno what happened but they stopped carrying retros and the owner always seemed salty whenever I asked if they got the releases, maybe this explains what happened.  They used to have a very nice bball shoe section and sales but now when I go in lots of team shoes and few Nike retros.  

Good. No more resellers getting full size runs from their "plug". No more back dooring.

That stuff will still be going on with FTL and Ruvilla tho.

JB doesn't need mom and pop stores to move their products in this day and age.

Last edited:
The last time i went to my mom and pop shopntehy made you cop a jordan tee with the kicks, dipped out there and have never been there. I dont have a problem with it, as long as theres people buying them let them be. In this case there was many people willing to purcahse the tee in order to get the kick. Might as well let them hustle tough enough facing these big chain stores.

Hope this doesnt happen. Many small shops will close.

i dont cop from mom and pop and know of any in my area or state

im all for it, put more pairs online. no more bs

I can only speak of my personal experiences but the mom and pop shops around my way do charge over box price but it's usually only $5-$25, with most gr Jordan's $5 over retail. I don't like it but I can live with that up charge for most releases. And if it's too much, I just take my money elsewhere. It's sad to see JB do this to small businesses. Those shops depend on these "Saturday" launches not only for the revenue but also the buzz and foot traffic it brings to their stores. Yeah, it would be nice to penalize only the extremely shady mom and pop shops who backdoor fsr or mark up to reseller prices but as previously mentioned, it would be difficult to police.

I don't understand the hate for MOM and Pops shops because where i stay everything is M&P's or regional chains. Most(97%) shops I know are way more legit that chain stores. These chain store cant keep consistent staff and most of the minimum wage employees they have are crooked as it gets. They will tell you, they dont understand why people go crazy and spend all that money on shoes, mostly because they cant afford them and that becomes their justification for backdoor selling and holding shoes for friends and family. 

But I must say that I have been expecting Nike and other shoe companies to do this. Honestly financial wise I think most companies are going to start relying on 3rd party platforms like eBay. It makes a ton of business sense. let them worry about returns, site management and customer service issues. Plus between Nike.com and the Outlet chains framework, Nike has really been losing bigtime even dealing with shops, on any level. I honestly think Nike/JB has been scratching their heads because I think they have long been trying to establish a better plan to shelve shoes in outlets and NIKE owned stores. I think they would rather have Jordan brand products consistently available in the ssame way you can walk in and get a pair of Frees or Air Max.

My local mom and pop been cut off for years now, sold Concords early and the pairs left over for 225 some called Nike real quick and they havent recieved retros ever since

My local mom and pop been cut off for years now, sold Concords early and the pairs left over for 225 some called Nike real quick and they havent recieved retros ever since
I think the selling early is whatever, but jacking up price over MSRP when you are supposed to be a legit retailer, thats whack.

Back
Top Bottom