Spike Lee's CHIRAQ trailer

Didn't like the movie. I thought the trailer looked good. But watching the movie I felt all the cinematic shots were in the trailer. Everything else looks plain and dry.

I really felt the movie had no purpose. I had trouble sympathizing for the characters, even Jennifer Hudson's character, though I didn't think she was bad, I didn't feel connected to her emotions.

Spike really should have done some research, it's just like adapting a book and leaving out all the things that made that book interesting. He could have showed more of the children. All the gang bangers are like in their 30's. The music wasn't really drill. A lot of what makes films like this good is personal style and from the music to the humor it all seemed dated. Spike which was once a relevant voice in the community comes off as dated and old.

I was upset that they kept telling Nick Cannon's character to pull his pants up (As if anyone cares about that anymore).

I would love to see an actual portrayal of the things going on in the city and not this farce. Though I could hear people in the theater enjoying it, others walked out.

I could not say I enjoyed it. I found it offensive and stereotypical.

Edit: I also didn't care for the terribly simple lyric video at the beginning of the film.

Hmmmmmmm just like a lot of people thought of the trailer turns out you might be able to tell what a movie is about from a trailer, not like they put out trailers to give you an overview or vibe of a movie tho :nerd: , i forgot tho this is the only movie ever where we aren't allowed to judge how awful the movie might be no matter how terrible the trailer looks because Spike Lee made it.

Thought the movie was decent, not good, not bad neither.

I feel there are things Spike could have worked on and left out for the sake of the movie.

Didn't like the ending much and felt that it could have been worked on to better the film.

Thought the movie was decent, not good, not bad neither.

I feel there are things Spike could have worked on and left out for the sake of the movie.

Didn't like the ending much and felt that it could have been worked on to better the film.

The bedroom part at the end was lame to me.

My take away from the movie is that it got its point across, but an issue like Chicago, a movie isn't going to save that city or bring change, so I didnt look at this for it, as we all know the dynamics (or at least many of us know) that created the current state of Chicago.

I think a Documentary about the Last 80 years of Chicago would be dope because the whole "Black on Black Crime" narrative is not the reason Chicago is what it is now but more so the Crime is an end result.

Hmmmmmmm just like a lot of people thought of the trailer turns out you might be able to tell what a movie is about from a trailer, not like they put out trailers to give you an overview or vibe of a movie tho :nerd: , i forgot tho this is the only movie ever where we aren't allowed to judge how awful the movie might be no matter how terrible the trailer looks because Spike Lee made it.

I like to give things a chance. I had seen a trailer for the movie "The Gift" and thought it looked terrible, but ended up really enjoying it. I thought the trailer for Chi-Raq looked interesting (could have been a rebirth for Spike Lee) but it wasn't.

I haven't seen it yet but dudes in Chicago ain't feeling it AT ALL. I've always been a big fan of Spike, basically grew up on his movies. He always showed accurate depictions but it seem like he slipped on this one. Rhymefest really went in.

Last edited:
I've said it once and I'll say it again... The **** my people choose to be outraged about.
People are MAINLY upset that the movie was called "Chiraq", but then cast Nick Cannon as the main thug, and it not being an "accurate" depiction of the "real" savagery that goes on in Chicago.

Rhymefest talkin all this **** about how Spike is exploiting Chicago by callin it "Chiraq" in order to make money but what about all of the drill "rappers" that exploit what is goin on in Chicago
for their own personal gain? These ****** makin money off promoting savagery, sellin drugs, murder etc.. everyday.

But I guess since ****** like 600 Breezy are from the city its ok for them to kill each other and turn around and exploit the situation for their own personal gain.

^^^ Good message does NOT EQUAL GOOD MOVIE. If you're going to do a movie about "Chiraq", get it right. Depict it right. This could've been done properly, even with satire. Spike just failed....as he has for the past 10+ years. It's ok to call him out. Again, we're talking about the actual film here, not the message.

Sht is stereotypical Hollywood "Gangstas in da hood" (imagine a white man saying this, throwing up some hand sign while cocking his head to the side and making an emphasis on the "A" in the word "gangsta").

Spike just outta touch with this one. He too far removed, and on a you can't tell me nothing tip. You make a movie about "Chiraq", yes...you go talk to the "savages", kids, families, reformed bangers, community leaders, etc and do your homework and get the research on what goes thru their head and in their community....Hell, even give a. few of the local unknowns a chance in pivital roles. You just don't come in with a camera and your idea of what you think "Chiraq" is like, and tell people how to feel about it.

Every hood is the same, but it also isn't the same.

Looking at this from multiple perspectives, I understand why there is some disdain for the authenticity (or lack therof) in how the city is depicted. Having no roots within Chicago, Spike was never going to get that right. 

On the other hand, I do believe that there are people who wanted a "real" film for all the wrong reasons. Whether consciously or unconsciously, alot of people are finding this prison culture cool and entertaining. Take Vice's profile of "Chiraq" last year for example. It was basically one big ******* commercial for drill music under the guise of "just showing what goes on in Chicago". 

Thats the **** i don't like. 

I've said it once and I'll say it again... The **** my people choose to be outraged about.
People are MAINLY upset that the movie was called "Chiraq", but then cast Nick Cannon as the main thug, and it not being an "accurate" depiction of the "real" savagery that goes on in Chicago.

Rhymefest talkin all this **** about how Spike is exploiting Chicago by callin it "Chiraq" in order to make money but what about all of the drill "rappers" that exploit what is goin on in Chicago
for their own personal gain? These ****** makin money off promoting savagery, sellin drugs, murder etc.. everyday.

But I guess since ****** like 600 Breezy are from the city its ok for them to kill each other and turn around and exploit the situation for their own personal gain.
In Rhymefest's defense, he has been VERY vocal about the gang culture in Chicago and has spoken out against drill music plenty of times.

Looking at this from multiple perspectives, I understand why there is some disdain for the authenticity (or lack therof) in how the city is depicted. Having no roots within Chicago, Spike was never going to get that right. 

On the other hand, I do believe that there are people who wanted a "real" film for all the wrong reasons. Whether consciously or unconsciously, alot of people are finding this prison culture cool and entertaining. Take Vice's profile of "Chiraq" last year for example. It was basically one big ******* commercial for drill music under the guise of "just showing what goes on in Chicago". 

Thats the **** i don't like. 

Yep.

Seems to me that Spike would have avoided all of this by not titling it Chiraq.

He might have even gotten away with it still being set in Chicago. But the title just made people come in with a specific way of how they wanted it to be.

I just think the name was wasted on a forgettable satire. It should be associated with something gripping, something that makes you feel and truly understand why "Chi-raq". A satire won't evoke those emotions and barely a thought (show me any that has, plus watched or not, no one's discussing the message). I understand Spike is an artist, and this is how he chose to tell the story and get the message out, but none of that excludes it from being a blunder.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see in the times we living in with all of this sort of social media backlash going on how a Spike Lee joint that is relatively topical is treated.

Yep.

Seems to me that Spike would have avoided all of this by not titling it Chiraq.

He might have even gotten away with it still being set in Chicago. But the title just made people come in with a specific way of how they wanted it to be.

After hearing Rhymefest if what he said is true then def a foul play on Spike. That said I dont think the movie was trash, and even in the film they say this could be Philly, BMore, or any hood at that as they face the same dynamics.

Last edited:
It was on msnbc what does the source matter. You can find dozens of other links and it's on YouTube.

Just finished watching it.

No mention of Snoop from The Wire wearing pigtails? :lol:

Last edited:
Lysistrata is one of my favorite Greek plays. Does this movie not do it justice?

I'm glad I watched this online instead of paying for the theater. Couldn't even get through the movie. 

Back
Top Bottom