Spike Lee's CHIRAQ trailer

Saw it Sunday night with my lady.

While its not a "Comedy", there are funny parts, especially Samuel L`s scenes.

Nick Cannon was not as bad as people make it seem. If it was a new actor that nobody knew that played this part and played it EXACTLY how Nick Cannon played it, I dont think it would have been a problem. Its just that Nicks reputation for being a bad actor proceeds him so people automatically dont like it.

I didnt look into Lysistrata until a friend of mine posted a video on facebook called "Lisa Trotter" By Hawthorne James. No comedy or rhyme dialogue but the same plot base.

Overall, it was cool. I like the message they were trying to deliver. Its serious and not serious at the same time. I did have to get used to the dialogue but it was pretty cool at times. Nothing i would sit down and watch again, thats for sure.

i dont understand the issues people have with it.......but i dont live in chicago and i also look at it as a movie that is meant to be entertaining and anything i get from it is what it is.

How they slip up and credit Spike for giving us Boyz 'N The Hood though? 
laugh.gif

I had heard the clip of him mentioning Jennifer Hudson and her family being murdered and the other activist woman as well being in the movie and why would they do it, if this is truly what his movie is about. It is a very good point to be brought up and asked if this is how people felt. 

Last comments from Rhyme and his wild claims the other day on there
laugh.gif
....He actually said that they were duped and tricked into being in the movie and that if they knew it upfront, that they wouldn't have signed on to do it. 
indifferent.gif

He then went on to say that don't nobody want to see a white pastor trying to make a change in this movie. They need to get one of the black pastors that are known and respected in Chicago to be there instead. 
Again, like I said before, I just repeated what he said and these are not my thoughts at all. I just thought it was an interesting spin on someone from Chicago and some of them made me think, some made me laugh, and then some were pretty out there and had me scratching my head. 

But Spike said the white pastor Cusack plays is based off of an actual well known white pastor in Chicago?

I recall him saying that on his Nightly Show interview.

They`re ignorant. he didnt really come up with the idea, he just morphed it into something that people would identify more with than some Ancient greece ****.

Taking the outline of one story and applying it to a different genre or medium isn't original but it does take creativity to craft it and execute it.

Spike's presence and want to make more movies isn't stopping anybody else from coming up. Actually he does a lot to help others when he can.

It's pretty simple is all, Spike earned his rep and notoriety so even if he makes crap movies now which a lot of us have names he'll still get that attention when a new Spike Lee joint is announced.

Taking the outline of one story and applying it to a different genre or medium isn't original but it does take creativity to craft it and execute it.
you could call it an original take on the classic story

o brother where art thou is a good example 

these days every story is a franchise or a reboot, i dont see why anyone is calling spike out for being unoriginal 

John Singleton>Spike Lee

That's what we doing now? Just comparing black directors to other black directors? Antoine Fuqua > both at this point. Nevermind that Singleton hasn't directed a good movie since Baby Boy.

I mean there's plenty directors better than Spike but aint many had the same impact Spike did on a whole culture. I mean they gave dude an honorary Oscar :lol:

That's what we doing now? Just comparing black directors to other black directors? Antoine Fuqua > both at this point. Nevermind that Singleton hasn't directed a good movie since Baby Boy.

I mean there's plenty directors better than Spike but aint many had the same impact Spike did on a whole culture. I mean they gave dude an honorary Oscar
laugh.gif
Yup....Chiraq turned me into a Spike Lee hater....

Bout to watch Da Sweet Blood of Jesus
I know I may be too late but bruh, seriously, brace yourself.

I mean there's plenty directors better than Spike but aint many had the same impact Spike did on a whole culture. I mean they gave dude an honorary Oscar :lol:
Yup....Chiraq turned me into a Spike Lee hater....
View media item 1597406
You saw it? Is it that bad?

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews (obviously not on NT).

Bout to watch Da Sweet Blood of Jesus

Movie wasn't good, but the cinematography is great.
This is true.

Story was so bad I didn't bother to appreciate much about it.

Last edited:
I know I may be too late but bruh, seriously, brace yourself.
You saw it? Is it that bad?

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews (obviously not on NT).
This is true.

Story was so bad I didn't bother to appreciate much about it.

Movie could have been good, but the writing was terrible. Spike could have used the premise/ double meaning of "blood" to hit a lot of points, but IDK I guess the shoestring budget was the cause but who knows.

Last edited:
Saw it Sunday night with my lady.

While its not a "Comedy", there are funny parts, especially Samuel L`s scenes.

Nick Cannon was not as bad as people make it seem. If it was a new actor that nobody knew that played this part and played it EXACTLY how Nick Cannon played it, I dont think it would have been a problem. Its just that Nicks reputation for being a bad actor proceeds him so people automatically dont like it.

I didnt look into Lysistrata until a friend of mine posted a video on facebook called "Lisa Trotter" By Hawthorne James. No comedy or rhyme dialogue but the same plot base.

Overall, it was cool. I like the message they were trying to deliver. Its serious and not serious at the same time. I did have to get used to the dialogue but it was pretty cool at times. Nothing i would sit down and watch again, thats for sure.

i dont understand the issues people have with it.......but i dont live in chicago and i also look at it as a movie that is meant to be entertaining and anything i get from it is what it is.

It's funny how everyone who has actually seen the movie, pretty much says the same thing :lol:

but I guess the ones who saw the trailer know more about the movie than us

Didn't like the movie. I thought the trailer looked good. But watching the movie I felt all the cinematic shots were in the trailer. Everything else looks plain and dry.

I really felt the movie had no purpose. I had trouble sympathizing for the characters, even Jennifer Hudson's character, though I didn't think she was bad, I didn't feel connected to her emotions.

Spike really should have done some research, it's just like adapting a book and leaving out all the things that made that book interesting. He could have showed more of the children. All the gang bangers are like in their 30's. The music wasn't really drill. A lot of what makes films like this good is personal style and from the music to the humor it all seemed dated. Spike which was once a relevant voice in the community comes off as dated and old.

I was upset that they kept telling Nick Cannon's character to pull his pants up (As if anyone cares about that anymore).

I would love to see an actual portrayal of the things going on in the city and not this farce. Though I could hear people in the theater enjoying it, others walked out.

I could not say I enjoyed it. I found it offensive and stereotypical.

Edit: I also didn't care for the terribly simple lyric video at the beginning of the film.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom