SPUMC Thread - RIP STAN LEE - ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE out now

HOW WAS SPIDERMAN:HOMECOMING?

• It's a Masterpiece!!! (kiLLerisLame was right)

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • Not the Best but Top 5 Easily (like Lebron)

Votes: 44 25.1%
  • Above Average, Maybe Top 10 (butF4notBYKE)

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Average (like Duff and Milana and M5s)

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Terrible (this will get 1 vote and it's from AmeL w/ another L)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
Avengers ruined comic book films forever. One main character isn't eniugh anymore. Gotta have like 10 to "compete". With all that the main villains STILL ARE GARBAGE
Nobody wants to see the same ole hero vs villain boring movie anymore. One character is enough.  That's why we're getting a BP and Captain Marvel movie. Avengers unleashed the potential these comic book movies had.

Avengers ruined comic book movies? Far from it.

See what DC is trying to do. See what Fox is trying to do.

See what Sony is trying to do, but failing :lol: Some of it is Sony's fault, some of it is that Spidey doesn't have a big enough playground to play in

Marvel single handedly forcing other studios to step up their games.

Now, if you're looking at it from the consumer's perspective? Are we getting spoiled? Yes. But that always comes when we get good things.

Last edited:
:lol:

I aint mad at a possible Clone saga septilogy at all :pimp:

I totally the idea of immediately resurrecting Gwen in a sense being completely a turn off and absurd to some fans though. Realizing you killed Gwen too early in ASM2 so now you're trying to bring her back right away? Oh Sony :smh:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112646

Thoughts?

How will the deal work between Marvel and Sony? Which movies will Spider-Man appear in? Who will write and direct the wallcrawler's first Marvel Studios produced solo outing? How much of a loss did The Amazing Spider-Man 2 make? All those details and more can be found here...

By Josh Wilding - 12/19/2014

We've been provided with some of the leaked documents from the "Sony Hack", and they offer up more details on the deal which was being discussed between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures in regards to the future of Spider-Man. It's worth noting that some of this contradicts and confirms what we heard from some of those obscure foreign sites (who probably made up that information for attention and "via" traffic, especially as most of it sounded like glorified fan-fiction).

If Spider-Man appears in Captain America: Civil War, Sony will co-finance 25% of the movie. Marvel then co-finances 25% of Spider-Man's next solo film which is scheduled to be released in July 2017. The deal allows Sony to use TWO major Marvel characters and continue the plot from Civil War in regards to how it relates to Spider-Man. Spider-Man would also appear in Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1 in 2018, with another Marvel produced Spider-Man movie following in July 2019. 

Sony asked for approval over the costume, script (but only the parts specifically involving Spider-Man), and casting, with said actor required to sign a three-picture deal or more. The way this part of the document is worded makes it sound very much like a collaboration rather than one studio having more control than the other. They do however point out that Kevin Feige must serve as a producer, and if for some reason he leaves Marvel, they would be allowed to select his replacement. They also want Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach to be given executive producer credits, and state that it would be pre-agreed that Drew Goddard both writes and directs the first movie.

On the business side of things, if any of the Marvel movies Spider-Man is included in misses their release date, Sony would be paid damages of $100 million, and the deal would be terminated. Sony have only three years and nine months to start pre-production before the rights revert, and Captain America: Civil War would reset the clock on this period. Sony also asked for Marvel's help in ensuring that the "D Machine" would have to be accessible for Spider-Man's solo movies in regards to their TV channels, radio networks, theme parks, and more. The deal would be announced at a press event by both studios on a mutually agreed upon date. 

We've also seen documents which indicate that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 earned only $65 million BEFORE overheads, and that they expect earnings to significantly increase after making the deal with Marvel. These are internal documents, and it's not clear how much would change as the deal is discussed. However, this appears to have been put together following discussions rather than as a proposal. We have of course heard that talks broke down, but nothing specific in regards to why, and various outlets have since reported that this is going to happen. Stay tuned for updates...

Last edited:
When I read that earlier, I was under the assumption that they've just made a deal. Should  be titled "How would the deal have worked between Marvel and Sony?"

The fact that Sony wants to be able to use two marvel characters for their own movies, and retain creative control and casting over Spidey, was probably too much to ask. And Sony seems a bit too loyal to the people behind ASM, they should be begging Marvel to be using their people full time.

Everything else seemed ok.

As much as I enjoy most of the super hero movies ... I'm sure if they where rated R they would be that much better ...

Reading that article, Marvels should've pretended they agreed to a deal, then push back the release of Civil War, pay Sony damages and then the rights would revert. Effectively making it so they only paid 100 mil to get Spidey back :smokin

The R rating is box office death. No studio would touch that.

R ratings are for smaller budget movies like horror movies, not blockbusters

Reading that article, Marvels should've pretended they agreed to a deal, then push back the release of Civil War, pay Sony damages and then the rights would revert. Effectively making it so they only paid 100 mil to get Spidey back :smokin

Not a bad strategy.

As much as I enjoy most of the super hero movies ... I'm sure if they where rated R they would be that much better ...
Only a few of these franchises warrant being rated R depending on story. Spidey really isn't one of them.

Plus, I question how much better any movie can be if it's rated R given these are superheroes since they'd be sacrificing hundreds of millions given how many kids they'd keep away from the movie.

Only a few of these franchises warrant being rated R depending on story. Spidey really isn't one of them.

Plus, I question how much better any movie can be if it's rated R given these are superheroes since they'd be sacrificing hundreds of millions given how many kids they'd keep away from the movie.
I understand Spidey not being rated R he is to good for that and I understand the market and why they label it PG-13. Plus besides hulk that can lose it against anyone I don't see how much of violence they can pack into a super hero movie. Just would love to see storm but naked and wolverine poking her I guess. Lmao
The R rating is box office death. No studio would touch that.

R ratings are for smaller budget movies like horror movies, not blockbusters
smaller budget or horror? OK I'm going to not even entertain you. However, again I understand why the story hero movies are rated PG-13 ... I also know that them being super hero and going against villains there's not much of for violence.

Look at the top 100 box office movies of all time, man. Find me one R rated movie.
I'm 100% certain there are a couple. However you are taking about r rated movies are not blockbuster and that studio will not touch it and they are low budget or horror which you are 100% wrong. You can't equate not high grossing to low budget ... Of course pg 13 movies are going to make more money they aren't shutting down millions but that doesn't necessarily means the movie was great .... Anyways

Last edited:
Lol, it's simple economics bro. You need to spend money to make money. To get into the top 100 in terms of total gross, you need to have a pretty high production budget. Now if you want to talk profitability in relation to budget, that's a different list.

To make it easy for you, there are no rated Rs in the top 100 in terms of total gross, not adjusted for inflation.

Now where do you think Disney/Marvel wants to be on that list?

Lol, it's simple economics bro. You need to spend money to make money. To get into the top 100 in terms of total gross, you need to have a pretty high production budget. Now if you want to talk profitability in relation to budget, that's a different list.

To make it easy for you, there are no rated Rs in the top 100 in terms of total gross, not adjusted for inflation.

Now where do you think Disney/Marvel wants to be on that list?
So the Matrix or/and Passion of the Christ not in the Top 100 or Rated R?

Not to mention all these high gross movies are post 2k which will reflect the high ticket prices but it's cool man. You win.

You state that no studios would touch R rate movies as that's box stuff suicide. That studios only touch horror or low budget R rate movies. ... What I'm saying is that you are flat or wrong. But again you win.

To my understanding a ton of money is made off of merchandise aimed for kids. An R rated movie isn't for kids so that's money gone right there.

With that said blade 1 is StILL top 3 comic book movies of all time

Last edited:
Congratulations. You looked up that list after all. That's 2 out of a 100 movies man.

You failed to answer my question. Where does Marvel/Disney or Sony or any of the studios owning comic book property want to be on that list?

To my understanding a ton of money is made off of merchandise aimed for kids. An R rated movie isn't for kids so that's money gone right there.

With that said blade 1 is StILL top 3 comic book movies of all time
exactly ... That's why they shy away from graphic violence or nudity ... That's why I understand the reasoning .. I think i understand what he is untimely trying to say. Just not sure ...

Congratulations. You looked up that list after all. That's 2 out of a 100 movies man.

You failed to answer my question. Where does Marvel/Disney or Sony or any of the studios owning comic book property want to be on that list?
bruh I looked up at the list? LoL, No I think you looked at the list and realized they where there. I been know that ... Smh ... But according to you, there were none. Hahaha

All those studio have successful R rate movies ... Not super hero but successful R rate movies ( maybe not Disney). What exactly are you trying to argue man ?

Last edited:
It's just a simple question, bro. Where on that list do all these studios want their comic book movies to place?

Sony and Marvel.

Please get your **** together and come through with this Civil War storyline. Would open so many more doors for Marvel and the comic book/movie industry.

Clone saga was one of the worst storylines I ever read in spider-man. I got that whole saga of comics and it's terrible. Talk about overcompensating on Marvel's part.

Back
Top Bottom