STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Bro. I've been down that same ******* road and if I could do it again, i'd hit the weights. Hard as ****.
I agree. The misconception is that folks think they will "accidentally" get brolic just by lifting regularly. They don't know how much dedication goes behind it.

I was more or less like you, DJ. Except I didn't juice. I went from 220 lbs to 145 lbs or so by practicing Muay Thai. We did a lot of cardio, sparring and old school routines. I didn't lift weight until I severely injured myself and joined 24 Hr Fitness to continue the active lifestyle. If I can redo it, I would've lifted from the start.

Lol the stuff he's eating is way below my maintenance level and I'm 155 pounds. His body has to be cannabilizing all his muscle.

Juicing is great if you want to drop weight, obviously.

However, it will not lead to an ideal physique. It will make you lose weight fast, your skin doesn't have time to adjust, leaving you with a lot of loose (flab) skin. The weigh lifting route is much slower, but if it's aesthetics you want, it's well worth it.

Seen a lot of big dudes juice and drop weight, however their bodies are not flattering (droopy man boobs, stretch marks), so they still feel uncomfortable taking their shirt off.

If your over 200lbs and not getting at least 2k calories good luck.

That's definitely not healthy.

Do ur self a favor and re-feed your body by eating some food you enjoy today. Pizza, sub, friend chicken, burgers etc. u need it brah.

i think the misconception is that everyone wants a lean and muscular body. if his goals are just to slim down and he's not even lifting, i think it's ok so long as his health and quality of life is being adversely impacted. if he wanted to build his physique, now would be the time to adjust his diet and get on a good lifting routine but if he's simply dropping pounds, he's probably doing it right. we could quibble about calorie amount but that wouldn't mean too much. he can always change it up later if his goals change.

Ever heard of metabolic damage?

Eating way below your maintenance level for an extended period of time can really screw up your body's ability to burn fat. You can be dieting hard, 1000 cals below maintenance and still not lose a pound when it happens. Slow and steady wins the race, you can go a little harder if you're obese and have a ton of fat to drop but if you're just overweight you can end up doing more harm than good. If you're dead set on going that low calorie was, you better have refeed days where you go way over your calorie limit with heavy carbs once and later, twice a week.

http://examine.com/faq/how-do-i-stay-out-of-starvation-mode.html

Starvation mode, according to the above definition, is for all practical intents and purposes a myth. It seems to have originated from the Minnesota Starvation Experiment[1], where participants were given 50% of their maintenance calories for months. They lost weight until their body simply had no source for ample calories (fat storage or food intake).

i could be wrong but extrapolating from the quote, it's doesn't seem like your metabolism is affected in terms of burning calories.

i pretty much agree with what everyone is posting though. i'm a small fat guy and i can lose weight eating at 3000 calories depending on what my workouts are like. i was merely speaking in terms of raw weight loss and nothing about physique or aesthetics. like i said, if all he wants to do is lose weight, he's probably doing it right.

Gonna grab me a pair of Chucks strictly for squatting. I've literally never owned a pair. How is the sizing? True?

Purchase 1 size smaller on the Chucks, and metabolic damage is not a myth. Maybe starvation mode as it seems to be described there, but slowing your metabolism and decreasing leptin levels while on a reduced calorie diet and catabolism are all real. Like dude said, at the least have a cheat or high calorie or refeed or whatever you need to call it day. I also would be interested to see once you reach your goals and return to a normal diet, if you'd gain all that weight back quickly as is usually the case with unsustainable, fad style diets.

Last edited:
Gonna grab me a pair of Chucks strictly for squatting. I've literally never owned a pair. How is the sizing? True?

chucks fit huge :lol:

if you are an 11, get a 10. if your are 10, get a 9. and so on so yes, 1 size bigger is how they fit.

Checks are good for deads....i always like a bit of a heal when i squat...helps me get deeper...but to each his own (i squat in free run's or flyknit trainers....DL in 3.0s or barefoot)
But as mentioned chucks fit huge. I'm a 11 in roshe's and can wear a 9.5 in chucks :lol:

i think the misconception is that everyone wants a lean and muscular body. if his goals are just to slim down and he's not even lifting, i think it's ok so long as his health and quality of life is being adversely impacted. if he wanted to build his physique, now would be the time to adjust his diet and get on a good lifting routine but if he's simply dropping pounds, he's probably doing it right. we could quibble about calorie amount but that wouldn't mean too much. he can always change it up later if his goals change.

Eating way below your maintenance level for an extended period of time can really screw up your body's ability to burn fat. You can be dieting hard, 1000 cals below maintenance and still not lose a pound when it happens. Slow and steady wins the race, you can go a little harder if you're obese and have a ton of fat to drop but if you're just overweight you can end up doing more harm than good. If you're dead set on going that low calorie was, you better have refeed days where you go way over your calorie limit with heavy carbs once and later, twice a week.

chucks fit huge :lol:

if you are an 11, get a 10. if your are 10, get a 9. and so on so yes, 1 size bigger is how they fit.

Checks are good for deads....i always like a bit of a heal when i squat...helps me get deeper...but to each his own (i squat in free run's or flyknit trainers....DL in 3.0s or barefoot)
But as mentioned chucks fit huge. I'm a 11 in roshe's and can wear a 9.5 in chucks :lol:

wowwww

im getting my black chucks in the mail today. I usually wear a 9 but ordered a 8.5.

aww fudge.

gonna have to send it back it i need a 8.

wowwww

im getting my black chucks in the mail today. I usually wear a 9 but ordered a 8.5.

aww fudge.

gonna have to send it back it i need a 8.
Chucks come in half sizes? wow did not know dis...

Besides metabolic damage, you are ******* up your hormones with that kind of diet. Im not sure how old dude is but going that low will make it difficult for you to get a woody and all sorts of stuff if you go a long time with that ****.. Not to mention theres no way in hell you could do any training with some sort of intensity.

Im telling y'all dudes out here obsessed with being lean, even if they have to do it dangerously.

Last edited:
i was one of the first ones in that juicing thread to say it was stupid and yeah i'm pretty sure libido will drop as well as test levels but like i said again, depends on his goals. drop a ton of weight and see immediate results can motivate further change. i'd do it differently but everyone doesn't have to take the exact same path to reach their goals. i'd def advise against doing it for a long period of time and yes, a refeed day/weekend would be a great idea. at least if he does get a boner his **** can reach with the belly out of the way and he'll probably be able to pump more than a few times before getting winded.

Last edited:
I thought these were some good quotes to keep you locked in.

But as mentioned chucks fit huge. I'm a 11 in roshe's and can wear a 9.5 in chucks
laugh.gif
Thanks for the response. Yeah I'm a barefoot or socks only DL'er. Still searching for that perfect squatting sneaker.

Can I get a deadlift form check?

Also, does it look like I can do more weight?

Last edited:
The bar should be closer to your shins, The load moves away from your body as you move the weight up.

You shoot your knees out a bit too early.

Don't look up at the ceiling, it's messing with your back alignment and causing your *** is to be too low at the beginning of the movement causing you to use your quads instead of activating the hammies.

I wouldn't recommend Nike Free's or Flyknits for squatting. I used to Squat in frees and when you change to weightlifting shoes or chucks/vans the difference is very obvious. Nike Free's and Fly knits aren't too stable.

Last edited:
Those kind of plates suck for DLs man, I hate them.

Your gym looks packed lol could not handle that.

Does that weight feel heavy? The best way to see your form and where it breaks down is with a weight close to your max.

Last edited:
The bar should be closer to your shins, The load moves away from your body as you move the weight up.

You shoot your knees out a bit too early.

Don't look up at the ceiling, it's messing with your back alignment and causing your *** is to be too low at the beginning of the movement causing you to use your quads instead of activating the hammies.

I wouldn't recommend Nike Free's or Flyknits for squatting. I used to Squat in frees and when you change to weightlifting shoes or chucks/vans the difference is very obvious. Nike Free's and Fly knits aren't too stable.

I'll try to get the bar closer to my shins.

What do you mean shoot knees out? You mean locking out?

Also I was not looking at the ceiling, I was looking straight at myself in the mirror, however I do notice I use my quads ALOT almost as if I was squatting the weight off the ground. I squeeze my glutes to use the hams right? To fix this, should have my *** a little higher? I feel like if my *** isn't low enough, I won't be able to get the bar off the ground, because my arms aren't that strong.

Those kind of plates suck for DLs man, I hate them.

Your gym looks packed lol could not handle that.

Does that weight feel heavy? The best way to see your form and where it breaks down is with a weight close to your max.

Lol dunno what it was, but today was hella packed. I did squats, bench, and deadlifts. We have 4 benchs, and when I was about to use it there were like 4 groups waiting. After I finished, I went to dead lifts, and I saw about 5 people deadlifting, so I had to wait to use a bar. That particular weight was not heavy. I did 275x5 today, I guess I should have recorded that and saw where my form breaks down.

Last edited:
your hips are too low. i guarantee once you use heavier weight they will shoot up. set hips higher and load your hamstrings. TIGHTEN YOUR LATS before lift. best tip i ever received.

also, flex your hip flexors. this one is kind of hard to explain on here so let me see if i can find a video for you. i got this one straight from jonnie recently and it helped stop any lumbar flexion i had going on. go watch all jonnie candito deadlifitng videos if you havent.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CanditoTrainingHQ

those plates are the worst for dling too. so glad i left my old gym. hated having the bar roll after each lift.

fixing hips shooting up

quick tip for fixing your deadlift setup

NOTE - Many have said they don't know how to contract their hip flexors. For this, just sit in a chair, then bring your knees up to your chest. Your hip flexors will perform this motion, hold this position if you need to to make sure you feel it. You can also march in place in slow motion, bringing your knees up as high as possible to feel the contraction. From there, it should be easier for you to now know how to contract your hip flexors in general. Then once it comes to deadlifting you want to contract those same muscles to pull your hips back.

Last edited:

your hips are too low. i guarantee once you use heavier weight they will shoot up. set hips higher and load your hamstrings. TIGHTEN YOUR LATS before lift. best tip i ever received.

also, flex your hip flexors. this one is kind of hard to explain on here so let me see if i can find a video for you. i got this one straight from jonnie recently and it helped stop any lumbar flexion i had going on.

those plates are the worst for dling too. so glad i left my old gym. hated having the bar roll after each lift.
This.

Here is another good guide:

Check out retail converse stores for discounted chucks, they almost always have half off chuck taylors, u can get a pair for 20 bucks. Theres a store a great mall in milpitas for u bay area folks.

Back
Top Bottom