STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I'm about to cop a good bike and get on my DC steez. I love tossing weight around, but I feel like cardio pushes me in a way that the weights don't. Like I have to tell myself to stop being a ***** and finish up that last mile. I like the idea of staying functionally fit.
Huh?
I recall you being an avid bike rider.
i don't think a good beginner routine should dedicate time to isolate forearms or even traps and biceps. some may disagree but i think you'd be better off doing barbell bench, ohp. deadlifts (conventional and sl) and squats (back and front). need more exercises? dips and pull-ups. need more advanced exercises? have someone help you with cleans and snatches.

once you have a solid foundation down you can throw in the other stuff.
I'd even contend that an intermediate/advanced lifter doesn't need much more than those movements.  It all depends on your goals though of course.

Just smashed a full body sesh.  Looks like I am going to do a basic 5x5 this summer.  Calisthenics will be my assistance work.  Lot of running, bike riding, jump rope, and sports for the cardio.  Just have to push myself to lift bright and early.  The evenings are just too jam packed nowadays and I'd rather have that part of my day open for outdoor stuff with friends and fam.

Yea I ride a lot. That is my most consistent form of cardio. It just feels good man. I HATE running. Well, I can't really run because after I run for 15 mins, my legs start to itch. Once I start to scratch, it spreads like wildwire. I think I have some sort of medical condition. It is frustrating because I have the stamina to run but whenever someone asks me to run with them, and I can't do it, I feel like I am holding them back.

So I said to myself, "I don't NEED to run unless I am playing basketball or doing sprints." Forget that distance stuff man.

But I do want to know why my legs itch like that

Yea I ride a lot. That is my most consistent form of cardio. It just feels good man. I HATE running. Well, I can't really run because after I run for 15 mins, my legs start to itch. Once I start to scratch, it spreads like wildwire. I think I have some sort of medical condition. It is frustrating because I have the stamina to run but whenever someone asks me to run with them, and I can't do it, I feel like I am holding them back.

So I said to myself, "I don't NEED to run unless I am playing basketball or doing sprints." Forget that distance stuff man.

I'd suggest just doing a light jog a few times a week if you get that itch.  Especially if you don't notice yourself breaking out into hives, which would suggest a deeper issue.  I'm sure the scientists will swoop in to correct me, but I believe that's just the blood circulating through your body to push oxygen to your lower extremities.  You may just have circulation issues since you don't run distance often.  No biggie, but it should go away the more you build up.

Last edited:
Finally used my inzer for the first time on deadlifts.

Smh.

Almost booked a ticket first class to Snap City.

When I bent over the belt was kind if slippin down.

When I lifted the weight it felt too tight.

So idk man.

I put the center of the belt on my belly button.

What am I doing wrong?

Idk how to use this thing.

Smh.

So idk man.

What am I doing wrong?

Thats where I put mine, right across the belly button maybe a little higher.

What size did you get, 10 or 13mm? I have a 13 and have had it since the new year and it just got comfortable enough to use without a hoody on underneath.

You need to adjust it to where its tight and borderline uncomfortable but not painful for sure. Once you break it in its awesome.

Same thing happens to me bro.

I don't know what it is but it seems like it happens less the more consistently I run and workout.

Smh.

So idk man.

What am I doing wrong?

Thats where I put mine, right across the belly button maybe a little higher.

What size did you get, 10 or 13mm? I have a 13 and have had it since the new year and it just got comfortable enough to use without a hoody on underneath.

You need to adjust it to where its tight and borderline uncomfortable but not painful for sure. Once you break it in its awesome.

I got 10mm

How tight do you have it on deadlifts? Are you able to fit your hand in there when you exhale?

Yea I don't understand. I can go to the track and knock out 20 sprints and I am cool. But that distance stuff makes me itch so badly.

It is a little game I play with myself. How long can I go before I start scratching, because once I scratch ones, it just flares up.

Someone told me to try an anti-histimine before running.

I tried rubbing vinegar on my legs before hand as well, didn't work

Yea I don't understand. I can go to the track and knock out 20 sprints and I am cool. But that distance stuff makes me itch so badly.

It is a little game I play with myself. How long can I go before I start scratching, because once I scratch ones, it just flares up.

Someone told me to try an anti-histimine before running.

I tried rubbing vinegar on my legs before hand as well, didn't work

Sure you not fiending for that crack rock??

Finally joined the 2 plate club for flat bench.

My old PR was 185x3.

Today, I did:

190x3
205x5
215x2
225x2

My form was a lot cleaner as well. It felt good.

As for belts... I put mine on with 1 notch left before it's tight. For me, when I put it on tightly, my lower back will hurt after squats. By allowing it to be slightly looser, I felt that it helps me more without the pain.

Today was chest day, and I believe I got it in real good. However, every time I bench press, my shoulder always becomes strained real bad. I looked at some videos to see if my form was wrong, made adjustments, and it still happens. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Today was chest day, and I believe I got it in real good. However, every time I bench press, my shoulder always becomes strained real bad. I looked at some videos to see if my form was wrong, made adjustments, and it still happens. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Are you warming up your rotator cuff?

People always neglect the rotator cuff. I always do warmup exercises before any time I bench or do any sort of pressing movement.

And on shoulder days I throw in an accessory rotator cuff exercise

Are you warming up your rotator cuff?

People always neglect the rotator cuff. I always do warmup exercises before any time I bench or do any sort of pressing movement.

And on shoulder days I throw in an accessory rotator cuff exercise
You talking about when you wind your arm up? I do that sometimes. Guess I have to start doing it more.

Finally joined the 2 plate club for flat bench.

My old PR was 185x3.

Today, I did:

190x3
205x5
215x2
225x2

My form was a lot cleaner as well. It felt good.

As for belts... I put mine on with 1 notch left before it's tight. For me, when I put it on tightly, my lower back will hurt after squats. By allowing it to be slightly looser, I felt that it helps me more without the pain.

:pimp: feels good man. I remember when I hit 225. I was strong as hell but never bothered to even try and one day I said eff it and got it with ease. Goes to show that we are really stronger than we think

Some gracious dude that was spotting me in the gym helped me check my form. I would get over 225 then always had to drop due to shoulder pain. Someone who knows what theyre doing checking your form is a big help. For me My grip was too narrow, and bar was too high up the chest making it harder and putting stress on my shoulder.

Have someone gift you a lift off. Serious. For flat bench, the unracking part isn't so good for shoulders in my opinion. I will have someone give me a lift off on flat bench from now on, so all my energy can be saved for the press.

As for form, I developed a power lifting style, I guess. My feet are under the bench to keep my glutes tight on the bench. My scapula is retracted. I have an arch in my back, but it's nowhere near as pronounced as a typical power lifter. That leg drive is amazing. I'm getting used to activating it more.

For warming up my shoulders, I use a resistance band to do scapula retraction, and a few other moves. It loosens my shoulders up. I do 2 different external rotations with a 5 lb plate, or DB to warm up as well. I might roll my shoulders if I feel tightness, or pain before I start my working sets.

Last edited:
I'm so pissed I haven't been able to work out since Thursday night! Came down with a nasty bug Friday and have been sick as a dog ever since smh. Spent most of the weekend on the toilet and have been drinking pedialyte bc it dehydrated me. Gonna try to give it a go today bc I feel like I haven't been in there in forever.

If someone gives you a lift off, unrack the weights as though you were lifting it iff by yourself. If you lose that tightness during the lift off, it could mess up your shoulder even more than if you did it yourself.

And truthfully, if you cant unrack the weights by yourself its a good sign you shouldn't be lifting that weight.... Or theres a form/technical problem.

I disagree.

I have bad shoulders, so benching is already a risk for me. A lift off minimizes the risk. Just because I'd rather receive a lift off, doesn't mean I can't lift the weight. I did it today with a lift off, and my form remained tight.

Also... I can unrack the weights myself. It just minimizes the risk if I have someone help me. Look at those power lifting meets. A lot of those guys are getting lift offs. Yeah, the weight is so much heavier, but the concept remains the same.

Back
Top Bottom