STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

What kind of weight are you guys looking at for Overhead Press?

I have no clue if im doing well or doing terrible.  My bench is turrible im 6 foot 180lbs.  My normal squat days have working sets at 315lbs for 4-5 reps.  I deadlift 365lbs working sets 4-5 reps.  My overhead press is at 115lbs for 4 reps strict.  I can get 135lbs up but i use a little momentum with my legs and get get through 3 reps.

I have no clue if thats ok, super weak, in the middle or what.  No one at my gym does over head press.  

I do 5x5 130lb on my OHP...but my squat and DL #'s don't come close to yours 
ohwell.gif
  what's your bench at?

Last edited by a moderator:
My bench is around 205lbs.  Ive never 1RM bench but i get working sets at 4 reps or so at 205.  I have never benched 2 plate.  I seriously suck at benching 
laugh.gif
.  My arms are long the movement just doesn't agree with my body.  I usually just do dumbbell bench press and i get up to 90's.  But bar bench...idk. 

What kind of weight are you guys looking at for Overhead Press?

I have no clue if im doing well or doing terrible.  My bench is turrible im 6 foot 180lbs.  My normal squat days have working sets at 315lbs for 4-5 reps.  I deadlift 365lbs working sets 4-5 reps.  My overhead press is at 115lbs for 4 reps strict.  I can get 135lbs up but i use a little momentum with my legs and get get through 3 reps.

I have no clue if thats ok, super weak, in the middle or what.  No one at my gym does over head press.  
Most of the time peoples lifts are all relative to each other. Your body leverages also come into play, like theres a dude I follow that only benches 405 or so but can DL 825, thats a decently big discrepancy between lifts. 

Also if your training isn't concentrated on strength then your numbers won't be high or where you want them. Another factor is weight moves weight. 180lbs OHP 135 is significantly different then 235lbs pressing 135. Unless your Ogus who can rep 240 
sick.gif

OHP is one of the hardest lifts to progress at as well, it will move slower than all your other compounds.

Last edited:
anybody try to be funny and address you as j shoemate?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem but with my squat. Right now im benching more than I'm squatting. I just got 140 for 5 reps on ohp couple days ago, felt good

So i've dropped roughly 30 pounds now since June with a healthy diet and consistent cardio.  But i've hit that plateau where I can't burn that last 10 pounds of belly fat. 

I'm short and am only looking to tone, not gain.  While I do understand muscle weighs more than fat, I definitely want to see my arms and stomach tone up.  Being 5 ft 7, I don't think i'd look right being bulky. 

Things I've done:

-Made Quest Nutrition products a part of my daily diet

-Eliminated carbonation entirely, except for beer during football games on the weekends

-Learned how to control my sugars properly by using MyFitnessPal

-Since I work from home, I've learned to keep my fridge empty and force myself to go out and get food.  Only keep breakfast food and protein bars/protein chips in the kitchen.  Snacking was too easy to do in my case, so I eliminated the opportunity to. 

-Chipotle is awesome when done right (chicken bowl with veggies, salsa, beans & sometimes guac).  No cheese or sour cream. 

-Iced coffee twice a day with skim and 2 splenda.  

-Eating nothing after 7pm (except on the weekends im guilty of this)

-Drinking a ton of water daily.

Things I want to do:

- Add more weight/resistance training to my workouts.  Plus I only hit the gym 3 days a week now and need to increase that.

- Be able to run more miles each workout. I'm at 4 right now consistently, but really want to get my endurance up.  

- Eliminate these damn shin splints I get on occasion!  Any suggestions?  

Great thread and I look forward to learning from you all.  

Last edited:
Ive lost 40lbs since June and share alot of similarities with you.

- no soda
- Quest bars as my snack
- measuring everything from my rice (1/2 cup limit per meal, 1-1/2cup a day) and my chicken (100g per meal)
- trying to eat every 3-5 hours
- limit calories from 1800-2300
- cheat and do a calorie load once a week
- cardio everytime I hit the gym (gym 3-4 times a week)

I have Chipotle too, brown rice and half chicken and steak, no sour cream or cheese. Thanks to NT ive been eating better and I can cut at 2100-2300 calories. I feel more wholesome now with the extra calories. I auggest doing the calorie load once a week to confuse your body. I try to take about 3000 calories, sometimes more. All in all, the biggest key is consistency. Keep at it and youll get it in time.

Guys I have a quick question , right now I'm sitting at 183 with 11% body fat I'm not sure if that's a good thing since I've been so healthy lately salads chicken breast , oatmeal , tuna and all that good stuff . I was talking to a friend of mine at the gym he told me in order to get bigger and look more cut up I need to bulk up to at least another 10-20 pounds then cut down all that body fat , my question is there anyways I can stay at 183 and build muscle without losing anymore weight ?

If you wanna build muscle youre gonna gain a bit of weight. I mean, more muscle = more weight anyway unless you mean trade fat for muscle and stay at 183. In the long run, bulking up and cutting down is going to be the way to go.

so i weighed in at 191.4 yesterday for the office challenge and i weighed in this morning at 181.1 :lol:
gonna starve myself as much as i can for the next 30 days and then follow the bigboss plan for dehydration at the end. i'm thinking i can lose close to 30# by weigh ins if i can handle the torture.

Last edited:
so i weighed in at 191.4 yesterday for the office challenge and i weighed in this morning at 181.1 :lol:
gonna starve myself as much as i can for the next 30 days and then follow the bigboss plan for dehydration at the end. i'm thinking i can lose close to 30# by weigh ins if i can handle the torture.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How often are there group weigh ins, if ever?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How often are there group weigh ins, if ever?
next weigh in is at the end :lol:

I hope that pot is big and all this work is gonna be worth it :lol:
i didn't count but i think there's about 10-12 people throwing in $20 each. the money is not the big deal, it's the bragging rights. plus, i'm the returning champ. mostly it's a good motivation for me to actually diet though.

Guys I have a quick question , right now I'm sitting at 183 with 11% body fat I'm not sure if that's a good thing since I've been so healthy lately salads chicken breast , oatmeal , tuna and all that good stuff . I was talking to a friend of mine at the gym he told me in order to get bigger and look more cut up I need to bulk up to at least another 10-20 pounds then cut down all that body fat , my question is there anyways I can stay at 183 and build muscle without losing anymore weight ?

Why is the weight youre at important? Do you want to get bigger and look more cut up?

So i've dropped roughly 30 pounds now since June with a healthy diet and consistent cardio.  But i've hit that plateau where I can't burn that last 10
Things I've done:
-Made Quest Nutrition product
-Eating nothing after 7pm (except on the weekends im guilty of this)
-Drinking a ton of water daily.

1. Not eating after 7 pm to lose weight is a myth. Your body and metabolism still needs fuel so add in a casein protein shake before bed or chicken breast and veggies. Im assuming you wake up close to 6-7 am
So youre going 12 hours with out eating which puts your body back in starve mode.

2. If you dont want to do fat burners maybe switch up those coffees with green tea.

10 pounds in a day hopefully is a typo.
nope. i purposely bloated myself by eating 2 bags of salty chips and drinking plenty of water from about 12 hours before weigh ins. then on the morning of weigh in, i drank a bunch of almond milk then kept drinking water until we weighed in. that 10# was water bloat.

Yall buying gallons of water/bottles of water in bulk every week? or filtered?

Just adding up how much I spend on water .. that could pay a bill

Back
Top Bottom