STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

My gym finally have a trap bar for deadlifts , I can finally do deadlifts without worrying about my form or hurting my lower back , honestly does it work the same muscle as Standard (Olympic bar ) ?

Messed up my ******* shoulder at the gym. Started incline bench at first and after a set at 185 I felt a strain, tried it again and it got worse. Went down to 135 and quit. Tried to do a pushup and no go. Just went home. Probably my rotator and probably didnt warm enough but im pissed. Worst of all its my "good" shoulder. My left has always been the troublesome side but now its gonna be both. Extremely pissed the **** off.

Same thing happen to me a month back when I tried to go for a max , you should try to take some 10lb dumbells ( keep your elbows close to your body & extend your arm out , should be focusing on your rotator cuff ) it's kinda weird explaining stuff via Internet but after stretching I usually do 3x10 of those before I hit the bench .

Last edited:
My best mile ever was a 7:50 when I tested for Seaside Police. That sucked because it was an outside run in January and it started flurrying. Cold air activated the hell outta my asthma. Affected the rest of my test performance. Didn't help that I tested with a bunch of 18-20 track runners. I was actually one of the last ppl to finish.
I know that feeling. I ran my 6:10 when I tried out for the Marines. I did that at 195lbs and was at least 25lbs heavier than the next heaviest person at my height.

My gym finally have a trap bar for deadlifts , I can finally do deadlifts without worrying about my form or hurting my lower back , honestly does it work the same muscle as Standard (Olympic bar ) ?
Its a lot easier because the weight is not in front of you as suppose to the weight on the sides cause of the handles for a trap bar. 

Its a lot easier because the weight is not in front of you as suppose to the weight on the sides cause of the handles for a trap bar. 

That's true I lift 315x10 like it was cake . And I felt like I was focusing more on my quads for some odd reason .

That's true I lift 315x10 like it was cake . And I felt like I was focusing more on my quads for some odd reason .

:lol: Don't laugh at me, but I just realized that was the name for that bar :lol: I usually use it for shrugs. I never even thought to deadlift with em. Now that you mention it I think I might give it a try

Last edited:
Yea because it centers you and puts your shoulders into position already and doesn't effect your lumbar spine as much. It does put impact on your quads because of how you're pulling 

Same thing happen to me a month back when I tried to go for a max , you should try to take some 10lb dumbells ( keep your elbows close to your body & extend your arm out , should be focusing on your rotator cuff ) it's kinda weird explaining stuff via Internet but after stretching I usually do 3x10 of those before I hit the bench .

I always do that, maybe not as much this time as I should have. I shoudve done some pushups and maybe done more warm up sets before attempting to get at it.

I think it all depends on your goals right? I have been trying low bar squatting for the past 3 weeks and it seems to be easier to me to move weight. Last night i did 335lb for 3 and was thinking about going for 365lb which is my max high bar (180lb body weight). It basically is turning the squat for me into a leg press.

I always wanted to be able to squat 405lbs. So i might keep low bar squatting until i get there i have plateaued on my high bar and needed something new to try.

But at the end of the day i play soccer. So my goals are more explosive movements then heavy squats. So whether i go high or low bar i know that i am not going to join a power lifting comp or anything so the point to me is moot.

But i have found when high bar squatting breaking at the knees really gets me in the best position for the movement. While low bar squatting i have to start the movement by pushing my hips back. I always for both movements try to focus on keeping my chest up

My Vo2 max went down 4 points since my last test. I definitely took it easy this summer. Smh. Oh well. Good motivation.

How often do you guys take time off the gym? Ive been going hard the past couple months, this shoulder injury is a minor setback but maybe its my body telling me I need a couple days off. Was going to do deadlifts and legs today but imma listen to my body. Not taking a whole week off but just today and tomorrow. Friday back at it. :smokin

Sometimes you just gotta nut up and shut up man.

If you aren't going heavy in the gym I don't see how or why you should be getting injured. If its a form issue then you gotta fix it or you will always be in pain.

Last edited:
Sometimes you just gotta nut up and shut up man.

If you aren't going heavy in the gym I don't see how or why you should be getting injured. If its a form issue then you gotta fix it or you will always be in pain.

I agree with the nut up and shut up but taking time off is a necessity IMO. Kind of like a hard reset.

I really dont think it was a form issue, I think it was a lack of warming up and jumping into it too quickly. 185 on incline isnt too too heavy for me. Ive been going heavier lately as well for all my lifts, staying in the 4-6 rep range especially during chest and leg days. I like volume training for my back.

Last edited:
I agree with the nut up and shut up but taking time off is a necessity IMO. Kind of like a hard reset.

I really dont think it was a form issue, I think it was a lack of warming up and jumping into it too quickly. 185 on incline isnt too too heavy for me. Ive been going heavier lately as well for all my lifts, staying in the 4-6 rep range especially during chest and leg days. I like volume training for my back.
Is your shoulder pain from benching?

My warm up is always the same for bench:

barx2x25

135x10

135x5

185x5

225x3

275x2

I normally do

Pushups
Rotator cuff exercises
Bar x 10
95 x 10
135 x 8
135 x 6

Thats my warmup and my working sets start at 185 and depending how I feel I do 4-6 reps, then go up.

Didnt really do rotator cuff exercises and I did only 1 set at 135 and jumped straight to 185. Big mistake. I knew I wasnt a buck when I struggled to do 4 reps at 185. My first heavy set always sucks though so didnt think too much of it.

Back
Top Bottom