STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

At first my goal was to gain strength and muscle i lost after the incident. I guess im just trying to build muscle and strength at this point. Idk i just feel like ive gotten used to 3sets of 10 i feel kind of stagnant u know?
 You could mix it up, e.g., low reps/heavy weight for strength (3-6 reps) on your big lifts then do 8-12 reps for your accessory work. Like, bench press for an x amount of sets but with 3-6 reps then the same thing with something like chest flyes but for 8-12 reps. My knowledge is ehhh, though, so anyone feel free to add to this. I've always heard the "3-6 reps for strength, 8-12 for mass gain" rule, though.

Check out pyramid training, too. 

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/pyramid-sets-vs-reverse-pyramid-training-vs-straight-sets/

https://www.t-nation.com/training/pyramid-method-for-strength-muscle

Last edited:
I've cut back a lot on alcohol too because I just can't take it man. Idk what it is but ever since I've been in really good shape, a few beers makes me feel sick. Not even hungover in the morning. Just sick feeling. Rarely now I can drink and be 100% fine

I'm no expert or anything but a workout partner of mine once told me that your alcohol tolerance drops when you get in shape for a combination of reasons. Mainly it's because you've cut down on the body fat so alcohol is quicker absorbed by other parts of your body, and secondly your metabolism speeds up while in shape meaning your body aggressively seeks out consumed goods to process so it can build, repair and hydrate.

He broke it down to me like that and it made sense enough to me. I remember meeting some friends at a sports bar a workout and thought to myself that one 12oz wouldn't hurt. Keep in mind I hadn't ate or properly hydrated myself afterwards. Let' just say I've never been so buzzed off one 12oz brew in my life...:lol:

It's not, your body gets used to it very quick and you're never hungry or unfulfilled.

It also comes down to the individual, I work out better with an empty stomach and it's easy for me to go without eating for 24 hours as long as I'm hydrated.

Naw :x i wake up starving... can only work out in evening, never on an empty stomach and need to eat at night. And lunch and snacks too lol

My protein powder contains 6.3g of BCAAs. Why would i want to take strict BCAAs as opposed to just taking my protein shake?

Because you only take in your protein every so often. U can pound bcaa all day to work with your body while youre not stuffing your face. (Lament terms)

At first my goal was to gain strength and muscle i lost after the incident. I guess im just trying to build muscle and strength at this point. Idk i just feel like ive gotten used to 3sets of 10 i feel kind of stagnant u know?
 You could mix it up, e.g., low reps/heavy weight for strength (3-6 reps) on your big lifts then do 8-12 reps for your accessory work. Like, bench press for an x amount of sets but with 3-6 reps then the same thing with something like chest flyes but for 8-12 reps. My knowledge is ehhh, though, so anyone feel free to add to this. I've always heard the "3-6 reps for strength, 8-12 for mass gain" rule, though.

Check out pyramid training, too. 

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/pyramid-sets-vs-reverse-pyramid-training-vs-straight-sets/

https://www.t-nation.com/training/pyramid-method-for-strength-muscle

I'm at the gym right now but I'll chime in later on what I've been taught as far as your goal of

Strength

Endurance

Power

Hypertrophy

I'm at the gym right now but I'll chime in later on what I've been taught as far as your goal of

Strength

Endurance

Power

Hypertrophy

Im here right now riding the bike post lifting. For the 6mths i was rehabbing i really couldn't do much else. On top of that i was given anti depressants for ptsd and one of the side effects was weight gain so i put on some lbs. Ive been working on turning that into muscle and strengthen up.

I think its time i get back into the game. 
yooooo i get the same bread from costcos down here in Louisiana..as of today guys im getting back into the game. btw Does anyone know what it means when you constantly pull the same quad muscle?

Damn i didnt know they had this in costco. 5 bucks was a bit steep for me. But ive been buying $7 p28 bread so better price than that

I'm no expert or anything but a workout partner of mine once told me that your alcohol tolerance drops when you get in shape for a combination of reasons. Mainly it's because you've cut down on the body fat so alcohol is quicker absorbed by other parts of your body, and secondly your metabolism speeds up while in shape meaning your body aggressively seeks out consumed goods to process so it can build, repair and hydrate.

He broke it down to me like that and it made sense enough to me. I remember meeting some friends at a sports bar a workout and thought to myself that one 12oz wouldn't hurt. Keep in mind I hadn't ate or properly hydrated myself afterwards. Let' just say I've never been so buzzed off one 12oz brew in my life...:lol:
I believe it. I have the exact same happen to me. I immedietely feel the alcohol and I get buzzed quicker. Then the next day I feel like I had something bad to eat.

Like if my body is telling me to not have alcohol but like my grandfather I ain't a quitter lol

Can someone help me with this macro count. So I punched in my numbers on BB for losing fat  at 5'10 200 lbs. and its telling me I need daily intake of 195 g carbs 195 g protein and 43 g of fats. I went into the kitchen and started weighing things 2 whole egg are 100g leaving me with 95 of protein which is 3/4 of chicken breast (raw) for the whole day, it got me thinking if I'm doing it wrong. Can someone educate me please thanks.

Can someone help me with this macro count. So I punched in my numbers on BB for losing fat  at 5'10 200 lbs. and its telling me I need daily intake of 195 g carbs 195 g protein and 43 g of fats. I went into the kitchen and started weighing things 2 whole egg are 100g leaving me with 95 of protein which is 3/4 of chicken breast (raw) for the whole day, it got me thinking if I'm doing it wrong. Can someone educate me please thanks.

Facepalm

Grams of protein/fat/carbs... Not weight

I gotta question for you guys. I started working out in january and for the first 3months i just did whole body every time at 3sets of 10. I then switched it up to opposite muscle groups each time (chest/back bi/tri shoulders/leg) but still at 3sets of 10. Should i switch it up to lower reps and heavier weights now? And if so how many sets is ideal and whats a good increase of the weight?

Muscular endurance

Sets: 3-5

Reps: 13-20 and up

Rest between sets 30-90 secs

Intensity: 40-60% of your 1RM

Cadence: 4 secs eccentric, 2 concentric, 1 sec isometric

Hypertrophy (I've been told this is the best way to get that "cut" look. Don't know from experience).
according to my professor something about the anterior pituitary gland producing HGH causing the liver to produce IGF-1 which is responsible for building lean tissue. This is what makes hypertrophy the best for getting cut? If your rest between sets is only 60 secs, it is the perfect window for the growth factor to bind to some binding protein? Apparently when you start resting 3-5 minutes that binding protein goes away? Again, I don't know how accurate all this is, it's just what my professors taught me so I'm sharing :lol:

Sets 3-5
60 seconds rest
Reps: 8-12 (apparently 12 is the magic number)
65-75% of your 1RM
4-2-1 cadence

Muscular strength

3-5 sets
4-6 reps
80-85% 1RM
3-5 minutes of rest btween sets
2-2-0 cadence

Maximal strength:
2-4 reps
90%+ 1RM
3-5 sets
2-2-0 cadence

Power (explosive movements)
I can't remember the set, rep, or intensity. I just know you want little rest and the cadence is more like 1-1-1. The movements are supposed to be explosive. You want to generate the most force in the least amount of time.

For me, what worked for cutting weight was in my diet i would strictly eat protein and some fats (walnuts, peanuts) and then on the 6th day of the week i would have a high carb meal..not cheat meal just a **** load of carbs after my workout.

After like 2 months, i started to have 2 high carb meals in the week.

I was a grumpy *** mofo 95% of the time :lol:

Muscular endurance

Sets: 3-5

Reps: 13-20 and up

Rest between sets 30-90 secs

Intensity: 40-60% of your 1RM

Cadence: 4 secs eccentric, 2 concentric, 1 sec isometric

Hypertrophy (I've been told this is the best way to get that "cut" look. Don't know from experience).
according to my professor something about the anterior pituitary gland producing HGH causing the liver to produce IGF-1 which is responsible for building lean tissue. This is what makes hypertrophy the best for getting cut? If your rest between sets is only 60 secs, it is the perfect window for the growth factor to bind to some binding protein? Apparently when you start resting 3-5 minutes that binding protein goes away? Again, I don't know how accurate all this is, it's just what my professors taught me so I'm sharing :lol:

Sets 3-5
60 seconds rest
Reps: 8-12 (apparently 12 is the magic number)
65-75% of your 1RM
4-2-1 cadence

Muscular strength

3-5 sets
4-6 reps
80-85% 1RM
3-5 minutes of rest btween sets
2-2-0 cadence

Maximal strength:
2-4 reps
90%+ 1RM
3-5 sets
2-2-0 cadence

Power (explosive movements)
I can't remember the set, rep, or intensity. I just know you want little rest and the cadence is more like 1-1-1. The movements are supposed to be explosive. You want to generate the most force in the least amount of time.

Im gonna try doing the muscular strength workout. Did something similar today. I did 5sets of 5 today for shoulders and legs and increased the weight on each lift.

What ive been doing for the past 3mths was more similar to hypertrophy.

Im gonna stick with the muscular strength one for a few mths and see what kind of results i get.

Thanks for the info! Outta reps but +1!

Has anyone have an issues with Harbinger Wrap gloves, When I take them off after working out it looks like I got ink marks on my hand and wrist.

Back
Top Bottom