Stephen Colbert Interviews Neil deGrasse Tyson Vol. Always a classic meeting

sillyputty

Banned
pimp.gif

EDIT: They talk about literally everything. Religion, Physics, Math, Society, Politics, Education, etc.

pimp.gif
Thanks for posting this. And I actually have 2 hours to waste at work lol.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is that dude tho.

Originally Posted by iYen

What topics are being discussed in this video?

I watched this last week (found it through the great blog Bad Astronomy). They basically talk about Neil's love of science (E= mc^2 is for him the most beautiful part), his angst towards a scientifically illiterate electorate and how we can amend that, his past, the use of knowledge, the role of science in society, and some more specific science stuff like black holes, Higgs boson, and quantum mechanics. Really great overall. Skip the superfluous introduction though. Headmaster said Romeo and Juliet was part of the American literature, IIRC. SMH.

Dudes like this inspire me to obtain as much knowledge about this world as possible in this lifetime.

Great watch. I always walk away from a Tyson speech learning many new things, or at least broadening my understanding of topics discussed, and feeling a little more knowledgeable about the workings of the universe. An hour and a half well spent
pimp.gif

Tyson always delivers and having Colbert interview made it that much better.
Colbert is no slouch either.

eek.gif
moments:

We have more bacteria in a portion of our colon than the number of people to have ever lived.
Methane found on mars. Lol @ mars farts.
Multiverse. Different universes with different physics completely. They might not have the same atoms or molecules as our universe at all.
Dark matter/energy is nothing, at least we dont know what it is and therefore cannot quantify or study it.

Lmao at the titantic sky and russians trying to destroy Apothus like this is a Bruce Willis flick.

Great post OP.

The passion and the knowledge Tyson has on this topic is amazing. Colbert and Tyson work great together as well.

Learned alot and should inspire young individuals to get into this field .

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by iYen

What topics are being discussed in this video?

I watched this last week (found it through the great blog Bad Astronomy). They basically talk about Neil's love of science (E= mc^2 is for him the most beautiful part), his angst towards a scientifically illiterate electorate and how we can amend that, his past, the use of knowledge, the role of science in society, and some more specific science stuff like black holes, Higgs boson, and quantum mechanics. Really great overall. Skip the superfluous introduction though. Headmaster said Romeo and Juliet was part of the American literature, IIRC. SMH.
Thanks for the summary bro.
I'm definitely watching this now!

I came across this a few days ago and watched the whole thing. Neil is the man. I always love watching interviews with him. If you guys want to check out some more stuff like this with Neil, he has numerous interviews w/ Colbert and Jon Stewart that are essentially shorter versions of this interview with different topics. You can find them on the Daily Show and Colbert Report websites if you search for "Neil deGrasse Tyson". I think he's done something like 8 interviews for both
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing op

I love watching this dude's videos.. what he says really makes you think about things 
edit: Since NDT is a astrophysicist, I figured I'd let everybody know there's a meteor shower tonight at 230est.. I personally can't wait, I love to watch them

Originally Posted by HankMoody

KING OF THE COSMOS

CARL ZIMMER / PLAYBOY / JAN 2012

A profile of celebrity astrophysicist Neil Tyson.

smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Great read, thanks. I loved the back-and-forth between him and Henry.  I wonder when this took place, since I remember NDT's appearance on The Big Bang Theory was at least a year ago. 
It's also so
pimp.gif
that he's remaking Cosmos w/ Ann Druyan. I loved watching the original w/ Carl, but it's a bit dated. I can't wait until the new one comes out. Even if it's just Neil sitting in an empty room talking about random *#%$ it's bound to be great 
laugh.gif
 The original is on Netflix if anyone's interested. 
Spoiler [+]
scaled.php
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

I love watching this dude's videos.. what he says really makes you think about things 
edit: Since NDT is a astrophysicist, I figured I'd let everybody know there's a meteor shower tonight at 230est.. I personally can't wait, I love to watch them

where do you get info on something like this?

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

where do you get info on something like this?

just google celestial events, heres a link to one I found for the whole year
http://www.seasky.org/ast...onomy-calendar-2012.html

Back
Top Bottom