Steve Stoute lists his Top 5 Influential Artists in Hip Hop

I liked those comments about Nas.

He's right about 50

50 just tries to mask his failures. You don't bring in Melo and Timbaland if your product is selling. 50 was influential, for a couple of years and he made millions off it.

Watched the first two of Tanning America, have tonights set to record.

Last edited:
been telling anyone that'll listen about this book, didn't know the show started already

im about to catch the first ep. on demand now

Last edited:
just watched the Breakfast Club interview, and he is right on all points. people just mad he speaking the truth that nobody wants to hear.

I'm a corporate dude so I respect cats that have created a strong brand.

Jay, Puff, Ye, Dr. Dre, 50, Wayne, Drake, Pharell, and even Nicki and Rawse have created brands. That's influence to me.

Are you at the point that you could do something outside of rap and still get buzz? Only a few hip hop artists are at that level.

We can debate the validity of how and why they earned that status, but they have it.

There were some things about tonights ep of "Tanning" that I wasn't feeling.

Hilfiger talking about driving through Harlem. C'mon dog. You got hip to it because Grand Puba and other rappers were rocking your ****, not because you were driving through Harlem.

The whole FUBU section was cool, but FUBU was nothing special to me and was just another "Urban" clothing line I wouldn't be caught dead in. I respect what they built, and that Daymond is still doing his thing on Shark Tank, but since Tommy and some of the "higher" end stuff was poppin', nobody I knew was trying to rock no FUBU.

Maybe they discussed this in the last episode that I missed, but to not mention Lo Lifes would be criminal when it came to cultures crossing, which is basically what "Tanning" is supposed to be about.

Certain parts feel like a fluff piece. Like Steve or whoever is just letting his friends shine. Hilfiger, Jacob, Daymond etc.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm a corporate dude so I respect cats that have created a strong brand.

Jay, Puff, Ye, Dr. Dre, 50, Wayne, Drake, Pharell, and even Nicki and Rawse have created brands. That's influence to me.

Are you at the point that you could do something outside of rap and still get buzz? Only a few hip hop artists are at that level.

We can debate the validity of how and why they earned that status, but they have it.

What have Drake and Ross influenced?

Nicki has perfume, a drink, clothing...she has a loyal following

There were some things about tonights ep of "Tanning" that I wasn't feeling.

Hilfiger talking about driving through Harlem. C'mon dog. You got hip to it because Grand Puba and other rappers were rocking your ****, not because you were driving through Harlem.

The whole FUBU section was cool, but FUBU was nothing special to me and was just another "Urban" clothing line I wouldn't be caught dead in. I respect what they built, and that Daymond is still doing his thing on Shark Tank, but since Tommy and some of the "higher" end stuff was poppin', nobody I knew was trying to rock no FUBU.

Maybe they discussed this in the last episode that I missed, but to not mention Lo Lifes would be criminal when it came to cultures crossing, which is basically what "Tanning" is supposed to be about.

Certain parts feel like a fluff piece. Like Steve or whoever is just letting his friends shine. Hilfiger, Jacob, Daymond etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Haven't seen it yet

Did they talk about Karl Kani, because that was a lot more important than FUBU

Last edited:
its swear, its crazy how dre CURRENTLY still gets so much cred when he aint done s**t in the last 13+ years besides pump some damn headphones...

also as far as influence goes, i dont think i've seen anyone say waynes name yet.

lets not for one second act like he aint the reason so many dudes got dreads an face tatts/body murels. not to mention the increase of "bloods" runnin the streets these days. no, he didnt START any of these things, but he HIMSELF is mos def responsible for bringin them to the forefront of mainstream appeal.

tween 06-the first half of 08, i saw COUNTLESS people walkin the streets doin their best wayne impressions. for a good 3 years he was the "cool guy" standard.

Last edited:
Master P

Signing the best record deal of damn near all time, getting all his money back in full. Independent, dolls, clothes, movies, damn near making the NBA, dropping albums like singles and going gold and plat. every time, colorful album cases ftw!

Missed pt 3 last night but figured they would dive more into the fashion of the '90's-'00's. In pt 1 they were talking about dapper dan and I was pretty glad that they gave him a shoutout.

Random: but I was just messing with this chick who's "uncle" is Damon John. When she told me I asked her for an old Fubu jersey with the 05 on it :lol:

also as far as influence goes, i dont think i've seen anyone say waynes name yet.

lets not for one second act like he aint the reason so many dudes got dreads an face tatts/body murels. not to mention the increase of "bloods" runnin the streets these days. no, he didnt START any of these things, but he HIMSELF is mos def responsible for bringin them to the forefront of mainstream appeal.

tween 06-the first half of 08, i saw COUNTLESS people walkin the streets doin their best wayne impressions. for a good 3 years he was the "cool guy" standard.
.....and there's good reason for that champ.  We're talking about a documentary that helped moved the hip hop culture forward, helping it to progress.  Dudes walking around with face tatts looking like weirdos and an influx of "bloods" walking around on the streets is NOT and more importantly HAS NOT helped us move forward at all.  This is a documentary of importance, now's the time to leave the dumb **** behind.   

Caught the first 2 eps. and honestly I was kind of underwhelmed.  I guess I expected something different,

something more fleshed out but I get that it's only a 4-part series

@Dart_Adams been going IN on the doc all day. Making some very good points, some of which I've touched on as well.

I understand that you can't include EVERYTHING in the 4 hours they have. But some of the things being included vs. some of the things being excluded are pretty ridiculous.

Check his TL if you're interested.

Wayne might be mentioned in tonight's episode. Wayne was good at taking **** from other rappers and making his fans think he started a trend. The way took Santana's soul and plenty other examples but regardless you can't talk about Hip Hop from 06 to now w/o mentioning him.

:smh: @ not one mention of Pac on part 3.

.....and there's good reason for that champ.  We're talking about a documentary that helped moved the hip hop culture forward, helping it to progress.  Dudes walking around with face tatts looking like weirdos and an influx of "bloods" walking around on the streets is NOT and more importantly HAS NOT helped us move forward at all.  This is a documentary of importance, now's the time to leave the dumb **** behind.   

*Monta Ellis handshake gif*

Dude said Jay wasn't an elite rapper

giphy.gif

:smh: @ not one mention of Pac on part 3.

don't get me started. he wasn't mentioned PERIOD.

and to dude talkin about Wayne and dreads and bloods.

nah. maybe some little ***** out there did these things

to be like wayne, but you are definitely overstating his

influence in that area. middle school kids don't count bro :lol:

oh and the series was cool i guess. pretty basic stuff. if you're

into hip-hop i could even see you getting bored with it. i almost

did.

kicked her *** we back friends like puffy and Steve Stout :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom