Stop sign violation

So I was driving and I stop at stop sign for one second and keep going on a completly deserted street. Cops pull me over, slap me with a ticket for fail to obey a stop sign. Claims I didn't come to a complete stop for 3 secs. Not thinking to much I don't argue, take the ticket and keep it moving. Not realizing in NY that's a 150 fine and 3 POINTS on your license. I would rather not get the points and get my already crazy NY insurance driven sky high.

Should I and could I fight this ticket?
Has anyone ever fought one?
Any good defense I could use?
Or do I have to take the L and accept the fine?

Plz no obvious hire a lawyer I know that's an option.

So I was driving and I stop at stop sign for one second and keep going on a completly deserted street. Cops pull me over, slap me with a ticket for fail to obey a stop sign. Claims I didn't come to a complete stop for 3 secs. Not thinking to much I don't argue, take the ticket and keep it moving. Not realizing in NY that's a 150 fine and 3 POINTS on your license. I would rather not get the points and get my already crazy NY insurance driven sky high.

Should I and could I fight this ticket?
Has anyone ever fought one?
Any good defense I could use?
Or do I have to take the L and accept the fine?

Plz no obvious hire a lawyer I know that's an option.

lawyer up

thats the obvious thing to do because its the best thing to do what the hell do you want us to tell you

you have no defense you broke the law, get a lawyer.

if you go to court you might be able to get the points knocked off but end up having to pay more in court costs + ticket. No matter you will have to pay the ticket though.

Unless you had a camera on your dashboard recording then don't even bother fighting.

Like stopcappin said, just try and see if you can avoid the points.

yea but you stopped for one sec. which means you pulled a california stop. i always come to a complete stop. just take the L or prepare to spend an arm and a leg especially in ny. proabaly the amount of a pair of used yeezys

Last edited:
as long as you came to a COMPLETE stop then you didnt break the law there is no law that says you have to be stopped for a certain amount of time

correct me if im wrong though :nerd:

Last edited:
as long as you came to a COMPLETE stop then you didnt break the law there is no law that says you have to be stopped for e certain amount of time

This may be true but when its your word verses and officers word you will always lose lol

as long as you came to a COMPLETE stop then you didnt break the law there is no law that says you have to be stopped for e certain amount of time

This may be true but when its your word verses and officers word you will always lose lol
yeah i was thinking that too maybe he could use the cops words against him :lol:

say that he did come to a complete stop but the cop said he didnt stop for 3 seconds so he wrote him a ticket which isnt the law? idk

Last edited:
i've been busted three times for doing the rolling stop, got out of them by telling them that i thought that was more than enough time.

fight it and tell them ^^^that^^^ in court, if they laugh at you then you'll see why CA>>>NY

happy.gif
 jk noimnot

Unless you had a camera on your dashboard recording then don't even bother fighting.
You can fight it. It depends on what the police officer put on the ticket. If the wording is bad, you can get around it. A close friend of mine is an attorney and he's got a few of our friends off the hook for doing stupid stuff in high performance cars, ie doing 80 MPH in a residential zone, 'drifting' into a turn, etc.

You're wrong. This is based in California, where I'm from at least. You need to come to complete stop and pause for 3 seconds. This is a very common violation, it's known as a "California roll".

I got trapped with this one last month. I was leaving my neighborhood, which is up on a hill. Going down is probably a 45 degree decline and I only stopped for a second. I haven't got a ticket in at least 5 years so I just paid the fee, $320 or so, and $50 to attend driving school to avoid an increase in insurance. I could've completed a TBD (Trial By Declaration) and defended myself relatively easily. Wording was really bad on the ticket. It stated something like "did not come to a complete stop", which I did, but just not for a full 3 second.

Just a warning to the CA folks out there: drive safely. The state is broke and cops are out in full force. They will pull you over for doing 75+ MPH on the freeway, and other petty things for a quick buck.

Last edited:
You can fight it. It depends on what the police officer put on the ticket. If the wording is bad, you can get around it. A close friend of mine is an attorney and he's got a few of our friends off the hook for doing stupid stuff in high performance cars, ie doing 80 MPH in a residential zone, 'drifting' into a turn, etc.

You're wrong. This is based in California, where I'm from at least. You need to come to complete stop and pause for 3 seconds. This is a very common violation, it's known as a "California roll".

I got trapped with this one last month. I was leaving my neighborhood, which is up on a hill. Going down is probably a 45 degree decline and I only stopped for a second. I haven't got a ticket in at least 5 years so I just paid the fee, $320 or so, and $50 to attend driving school to avoid an increase in insurance. I could've completed a TBD (Trial By Declaration) and defended myself relatively easily. Wording was really bad on the ticket. It stated something like "did not come to a complete stop", which I did, but just not for a full 3 second.

Just a warning to the CA folks out there: drive safely. The state is broke and cops are out in full force. They will pull you over for doing 75+ MPH on the freeway, and other petty things for a quick buck.

okay ignore everything i said earlier then :lol:

GL OP

Last edited:
thats why when you come to a stop sign and stop, you need to physically feel the car bounce backwards a little bit

i got no advice for you, but California $238 min.. 
mean.gif
... but i always make a full stop.. I aint got no worries.. but if i were you and the situation is in CA.. i'd take the L.. and go to traffic school to avoid the point.. 

Last edited:
lawyer up

thats the obvious thing to do because its the best thing to do what the hell do you want us to tell you

you have no defense you broke the law, get a lawyer.
Man SMD, you never have anything of value to say.

Thanks for the other advice. I'm just trying to decide if its worth fighting or will I 100% lose in the end. With some of your experiences I think I will fight it to at least get the points knocked off.

this stop sign non sense is getting out of hand

I was talking to a cop at a bar and they are being trained like this...

1) hit them with a fine plus points if they don't come to a complete stop
2) if they come to a complete stop and wait more than 3 seconds then pull them over on DUI suspicion

I'd just go to the court date and they will probably throw out the points for you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom