STOP the autoplay ad vids on this forum

impossible to surf this site on the computer.
this thread gonna get deleted, i remember asking about it, smh

That ****'s been killing me from time to time. Had to just up and refresh all NT tabs to stop it :x :smh: :rolleyes

Adblock Plus browser extension = problem solved

EXACTLY!!!! Yall should all know by now to never browse NT without AD Block Plus. Ya'll remember the NT Virus fiasco back in like 09. Adblock plus stopped that. Browsing NT without is silly and you're asking for trouble.

most of us at work can't install programs like autoblock to the browser or any :rolleyes

been having this ad problem all week on my side :frown:

I keep getting the verizon ad that has Drew Brees in it all the time. It is annoying. :lol:

Thought this was only me. Been driving me crazy.

Always straight with NT having ads to support good causes, but hopeully this gets fixed up quick

The mods and Meth have opposed to the use of Adblock on the site, but dude I can't use my laptop in peace. Can't even browse the threads properly without a years worth of lag.

My tablet is my only option, but that's not the full nt experience.

yea that football one the worse
We've identified this one and it's already been reported to Huddler for removal.

Unfortunately, web advertising is more complicated than most people think.  Saying "this NFL mobile verizon ad is driving me crazy" doesn't really help.  We have to find the ad network that serves the ad, and that's harder than it really should be because some ad networks effectively "sublease" their inventory to other, less scrupulous networks.  

If we could fill 100% of our inventory with direct sales units, we would.  That's the only way to have 100% control over what's served.  Unfortunately, practically nobody has that option.  Virtually every major website relies on some form of network advertising to provide backfill.  

These ads are in violation of our advertising policies.  Audio is NEVER supposed to play automatically.  What's more, they're cycling the ads so quickly that users have been encountering performance issues due to crashing flash plugins, etc.  

We've been working on this all week.  Huddler's ad ops team is fully aware of the problem and is currently working to remove it.  

In the meantime, I appreciate everyone's patience. 
please so these damn ad's can stop

i talked to method man about this a few weeks ago

i though it was taken care of

also when i go on my phone i get a pop up talking me to the google play store for some app
"Weeks ago" we had a different problem.  We did not have THIS problem weeks ago.

Advertising constantly changes.  Keeping everything up to standard requires constant vigilance.  Often, we're able to remove problem ads before most users ever experience them.  Unfortunately, this is one of those rare cases where the problem is dragging on.

It's been about one week.  I agree that's too long, but it's not the same problem you're alluding to.  That issue was resolved. 

impossible to surf this site on the computer.
this thread gonna get deleted, i remember asking about it, smh
Instead of deleting it, an admin/mod should address these concerns
We don't delete threads like this one - unless they're redundant and a larger thread discussing the exact same issue already exists. 

There aren't problems we ignore.

First of all, I use the site, too, just like everyone else.  We have the ability to remove all ads for staff members.  We choose NOT to do that so that our team has the same experience as every other member of the community.  

Second, nobody wants these abusive, auto-play audio ads here.  Nobody.  I don't want them, because I'm here constantly and they're simply a nuisance.  You don't want them.  Huddler doesn't want them.

Even if you choose to believe that obnoxious ads pay more, that's shortsighted thinking.  Obnoxious ads lead users to block ALL ads, which robs us of our ability to sustain the website via advertising. 

We can say that lost ad revenue impacts donations - and that's 100% true - but even if you don't care about that for some reason, there's still the fundamental fact that this site costs a LOT of money to host and maintain.  If everyone blocks the ads, we'd be hard pressed to keep the site online.  

With that in mind, know that we're all HIGHLY motivated to solve the problem.   
It's really cool to see that NT has donated almost a quarter of a million dollars to charity.
I'm glad you appreciate what we're trying to accomplish here.  Our latest donation of $10,000 to the Equal Justice Initiative is the first of what we hope will be several substantial donations to come in the second half of 2014.  

We couldn't properly celebrate the site's 15th anniversary without properly honoring that component of our mission. 

To do it, we'll need to get the ads up to par ASAP and that has been and will remain a top priority until the issue is resolved.

Repped OP. Those ads make my laptop slow as heck..

The mods and Meth have opposed to the use of Adblock on the site, but dude I can't use my laptop in peace. Can't even browse the threads properly without a years worth of lag.

My tablet is my only option, but that's not the full nt experience.

word. I have actually slowed down on my usage of NT because it's so bad. Have to wait for every single page to load, if it crashes I have to force quit. I also hate Drew Brees now.

It also aggravates me when I'm singing along to some Cyndi Lauper and the auto play ad gets me all out of tune. :smh:

Last edited:
MODS, please do something about the ads. It not only slows down the computer, it's quite annoying, especially when I'm listening to music or using watching television at the same time. Turning down the volume to view a forum should not be necessary.

:lol: I wish I could somehow capture it as proof but I'm currently browsing this thread with an ad playing somewhere in the background, and it's skipping the audio

This morning I just got 3 autoplay vids, 2 of them were by Verizon. These were new ads.

I don't get ads on my iPhone but my iPad gets railed with ads asking me to download random apps.

it stinks.
Yup.. can't ever visit NT on the iPad 
mean.gif

as i said weeks ago i message method man about this on july 7

"Quote:
Originally Posted by 160jordansdeep View Post

also when i go on my phone i get a pop up talking me to the google play store for some app

"Weeks ago" we had a different problem. We did not have THIS problem weeks ago.

Advertising constantly changes. Keeping everything up to standard requires constant vigilance. Often, we're able to remove problem ads before most users ever experience them. Unfortunately, this is one of those rare cases where the problem is dragging on.

It's been about one week. I agree that's too long, but it's not the same problem you're alluding to. That issue was resolved. "

not to question you but as i said this came up weeks ago in a PM method man
i dont know what the problem is i just wish it would go away

I don't get ads on my iPhone but my iPad gets railed with ads asking me to download random apps.

it stinks.
Yup.. can't ever visit NT on the iPad 
mean.gif
as i said weeks ago i message method man about this on july 7

"Quote:
Originally Posted by 160jordansdeep View Post

"Weeks ago" we had a different problem. We did not have THIS problem weeks ago.

Advertising constantly changes. Keeping everything up to standard requires constant vigilance. Often, we're able to remove problem ads before most users ever experience them. Unfortunately, this is one of those rare cases where the problem is dragging on.

It's been about one week. I agree that's too long, but it's not the same problem you're alluding to. That issue was resolved. "

not to question you but as i said this came up weeks ago in a PM method man
i dont know what the problem is i just wish it would go away
Again, it was not the same ad or the same ad network.  We did have a problem with auto-playing audio weeks ago, but that's like saying we had unscheduled downtime two weeks ago and any time we have unscheduled downtime for the rest of eternity it's a related issue and WHY ISNT IT FIXED YET!??>!?!?
This morning I just got 3 autoplay vids, 2 of them were by Verizon. These were new ads.
Unfortunately, not everyone associated with NT or Huddler works 7 days a week.  This issue is known, but was not addressed over the weekend.  I expect that to change shortly. 

Again, I appreciate everyone's patience and regret that has become such a severe annoyance for so many of us. 

Back
Top Bottom