Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees on Cinco de Mayo

http://www.nbcbayarea.com...-Sent-Home-92945969.html

On any other day at http://www.nbcbayarea.com/topics?topic=Live+Oak+High+SchoolLive Oak High School in Morgan Hill, CA, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.
"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.
The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, 'fat chance.'

"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school do not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:
The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.

The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

======

I don't see the big deal with them being sent home. They were gonna catch a beatdown.

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

I don't see the big deal with them being sent home. They were gonna catch a beatdown.

Tell me one Mexican who celebrates, and takes Cinco de Mayo serious?  Another excuse to drink and leave work early. 

And another excuse for Hispanics and Whites to hate each other.
laugh.gif

I don't think they were trying their first amendment rights....morose trying to prevent a confrontation. Those two kids knew they were instigating an incident anyway.

they weren't wearing them to be patriotic. they were wearing it to be +%%%$%*@. its disrespectful.

Originally Posted by Thizz Marley

they weren't wearing them to be patriotic. they were wearing it to be +%%%$%*@. its disrespectful.

This.  They were just trying to cause trouble

stupid of the school to send them home, but even dumber of the damm lil racist wearing the shirts, like seriously why pick 5 de Mayo to bring out your tripleK hoods and cloaks... not like mexicans care about 5 de mayo anyway, just shows ignorance by these kids... they shoulda caught a beat down, lame azzes

20100506_014347_cinco_flag3640_GALLERY.jpg
/extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif">http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif';" onload="javascript:toggleVisibility('image',true);" style="visibility: visible; width: 478px; height: 358px;">

Caption: From left to right: Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, MatthewDariano and Dominic Maciel. These boys with friend Clayton Howard wereasked to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out or go home whenthey wore them to Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill on Cinco de Mayo.(Julie Fagerstrom )

20100506_014347_cinco_flag3640_GALLERY.jpg

dj'd a cinco de mayo party yesterday at a club...

the mexicans didn't care, ricans and dominicans seem to care more
laugh.gif

...no one ate the nachos, it kinda felt patronizing

had to play some guy name v.fernandez while we played games, but the mexicans didn't
even participate.

i felt stupid and kinda insensitive....

Not a big deal. Good thing they sent them home before they caught a beat down. The school prolly didn't want to deal with it
laugh.gif
. I prolly would have did the same thing (sent the kids home). And i'm black if it matters
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

$10 says they gonna catch a #$% whoopin later on in the week anyway...

That's all they were doing it for, simply for confrontation.   Judging by the pictures, they look like D'bags trying to start trouble.

So hypothetically, ya'll would not have an issue if the Mexican American kids were forced to turn their Mexican flag shirts inside out at school on the 4th of July?

Pictures didn't look that bad it's pointless. Mexicans don't even take the holiday serious another holiday taken by the advertising powers that be to sell more @+%$. Kids are just too stupid to want to fight over anything, the white kids as stupid as it was wearing those shirts have a right to. Let them look silly who cares. I know school's have independence day off but I would not feel agitated if all the mexicans in the neighborhood started waving their flags.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

So hypothetically, ya'll would not have an issue if the Mexican American kids were forced to turn their Mexican flag shirts inside out at school on the 4th of July?

A better analogy  is Mexican students in Mexico wearing Mexican flag   shirts on the 4th of July being  sent   home

laugh.gif
i dont see why its offensive. They live in america, if those mexicans are offended then maybe they should go back to mexico.

Originally Posted by lol

laugh.gif
i dont see why its offensive. They live in america, if those mexicans are offended then maybe they should go back to mexico.

and what if those mexicans were born in america

Back
Top Bottom