Taking a semester off college. Good or bad?

Whats good fam. This year i will be attending my community college and I was thinking if I should take off this fall semester and start winter/next semester. I wanted to work and earn money for my tuition and to just have money available. I would just spend that time working. Has anyone ever done it? Pros cons? Is it a good idea or bad? Would like to hear your guys opinion.

One of my boys did the same thing with the same thing in mind and ended up doing nothing with himself for 5 months. Just at home playing Xbox.

Only go through with this if you know youll be motivated to find a job and stick with it if you get one.

I say do it only if you HAVE to. I hate seeing people start school and not finish. I understand school isn't for everyone, but don't waste time and money going then breaking then going again. Knock it all out now, if you CAN.

Well I went to college right after college because I feared if I took a semester off, I wouldn't go till years later.

I'm glad I did go.

Last edited:
Unless you have a job lined up already then I wouldn't. I know people who took a term off to work and then one term turned into a full year off school and it doesn't even look like they're gonna be going back anymore.

Chances are once you take some time off, you're not going to wanna come back...seen it happen too many times.
Give it careful thought man

wouldnt do it unless you really really have to, be careful with this though I would advise against it

Dont do it OP

I was a late bloomer, I got my GED at 20 , and am now entering my second year at a community college....

It is not worth it....

Some times i thought i would never be able to complete a year at the college level.

I mad good grades , plus its mad biddies in there

Definitely do not lose motivation OP. I'm on the same boat as you, with the intention that I wanted to attend a career college and now I decided to stick with community college, but now that I went to check on availability on the classes, EVERYTHING is all packed and waitlisted, even the online classes. :\

So I'm stuck with the motivation that I really want to return and save up for my classes (no FA FTL).

once you take time off school, most likely you not gonna wanna go back. take at least 1 class so your still involved.

Unless you really need to then do it but IMO I wouldn't do it because you'll end up getting lazy about going back.

I took off 2 semesters(Summer and Fall), but that was because I completed all my major requirements and only had to take filler courses to graduate. Honestly, it was the best break I could have had as now I'm in graduate school and would not have had that time to travel if I did everything straight through. However, if you're asking about taking a leave before even starting, I wouldn't suggest it. If funding is your issue, then take that time off if necessary.

in my case, bad...my mom would not give me any money back then unless she knows i'm goin' to school for the whole term...
so no school = no paper ..

One of my boys did the same thing with the same thing in mind and ended up doing nothing with himself for 5 months. Just at home playing Xbox.
Only go through with this if you know youll be motivated to find a job and stick with it if you get one.

MONEY. close thread here

Don't do it OP. If you have started school, just stay on track and finish. My old roomate told me the same thing. He was gonna take a semester off & just start again in the spring semester. All he did was work, play 2K10 and drink. Well he ended up dropping out of school and moving back home. Once your in school mode & take a break, it's extremely difficult to get back on track.

it could go either way honestly, u could either use the time off to work and relax then go to school , orrrrr you could not go this semeseter and wind up droppng out, i seen both happen pleighboi

Don't do it OP. If you have started school, just stay on track and finish. My old roomate told me the same thing. He was gonna take a semester off & just start again in the spring semester. All he did was work, play 2K10 and drink. Well he ended up dropping out of school and moving back home. Once your in school mode & take a break, it's extremely difficult to get back on track.

x2

so many potential pitfalls for you to get trapped in if you don't go, but do what you gotta do

OP I was in your same position in 1999 and now 13 years I'm back in school finishing what I started at the age of 32. As stated before, If you HAVE to take a semester off then do, but don't take of time to take off time. Time waits for no man in this day and age. I wish you the best.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom