Taking a semester off college. Good or bad?

Unless you have a decent job opportunity 40K plus or so then you would be better suited going to school and getting a part time job. The longer you put off or postpone college the less likely you will go. There is nothing wrong with taking a break or time to think about what you want to do, as some people just go to go and end up blowing money and failing out after two semesters.

Even when I took a semester off to transfer schools I still took one class at a community college to stay active. Made up the time lost during Summer and Winter sessions and loaded up the semesters. Finished with a 3.54, but each person is different. Good luck.

It really boils down to just how goal oriented you are.

I took a yr off because I needed to work/save up so I could pay for school (at that point in time, I was financially weak in my bank account). Needless to say, I saved up and got back to school within an academic year's time.

One of my boys did the same thing with the same thing in mind and ended up doing nothing with himself for 5 months. Just at home playing Xbox.
Only go through with this if you know youll be motivated to find a job and stick with it if you get one.

i have a friend like this lol

Last edited:
If you're just about to go into your first year and you're having questions at this point, I think you should take a year off, stack your money, and come into next year with the right mindset. Once you start, all you should be thinking about is studying and all your schoolwork if you want to succeed.

I'd go straight to college, I've seen too many of my boys do this and most just didn't go back to school.

Once you start getting money, You'll forget about school and once you go back it won't be the same.

If you're mind isn't focused on school, you're not "feeling it", or you don't know what you want to major/concentrate in, take a year off.

Despite the fact I didnt want to be in school since freshman year I forced myself to go straight through and graduated in 4 years (no summer school either). I was too focused on just getting out and not actually absorbing the information or even taking the time to figure out what I really wanted to do. It resulted with me graduating in a near pointless major (Business Management) and a laughable gpa (2.8)..with no job

If you think you need to take the time off, DO IT. Gather your thoughts, figure out a good combination of what interests you and what will lead you to a financially successful career. Don't feel the pressure of having to go straight through every year and don't feel the pressure of taking a rack of credits just to get out of school as fast as possible.

Remember despite how much of scam it may be, school is still (somewhat) about education, and everybody learns at their own pace.

Good luck.

I would say go now. Like most said already one semester becomes two then three and so on. If you start back up make sure it's that Spring. If it's Summer make sure it's a basic course nothing to challenging.

I'm about to finish up at my Community College with an Associates not real helpful in most job places but I just wanted to get the basics out of the way first and then take a break. Might be moving from Minneapolis to Orlando/Miami for this school down there so my break might last a year to two just to save up $$

Last edited:
Even if you take a semester off, you're not going to save much money. I did the same thing thinking I was going to bank if I took a semester off. You probably save about $1000-1500 maybe. Depending on how much you're going to get paid. Please be motivated at your job and work your butt off if you do take a semester off.

I would suggest you not do it.

I would recommend that no one ever do this. I did it years ago it was the worst decison of my left.

I'm still paying for it today

Back
Top Bottom