Tattoos in Corporate America

Just wanted insight on how everyone feels about having visible tattoos below the elbow and having a corporate job/career, and if you think the perception of tattoos have, or will ever sway to the point of acceptance throughout Corporate America 
In my case, I'm a young Afro American male...24 to be exact, recent graduate and just attained a job @ this Software Company as a QA tester...business casual environment laid back atmosphere ...but I'm still apprehensive about sleeving my left arm, just because of the possible negative perception that could come from it.
Discuss 
nerd.gif

if you in DC you good.
I see them all day long out there.
Don't know bout anywhere else.

I would hold off for a little bit before doing it. Get your foot in the door, show your worth to the company and get some tenure with the company between 6 to 12 months and then do your sleeve. And then wear longsleeves unless it's casual Friday but I wouldn't really flaunt it. But I do feel a sleeve is obtainable. I'd do a 3/4 sleeve just so you are able to roll your sleeves up a bit when you first get it.

Neck and Face are no no, hands are no no too. Outside of that Unless you wear polos to work I don't see it being an issue. If you play golf though, older cats will give you a side eye I will say.

I'm in NC, from NY but i graduated from A&T....my mindset was that I should probably wait a little, but I only plan on staying @ this job for 2 years @ the max...its an entry level position, and I took it just for the experience...my main concern would be in two years, when I apply to a larger company

Unless you come to work in short sleeves like Dwight Schrute, I really don't ever see tattoo sleeves being a problem.
rain-wilson.jpg

Originally Posted by az5950

I'm in NC, from NY but i graduated from A&T....my mindset was that I should probably wait a little, but I only plan on staying @ this job for 2 years @ the max...its an entry level position, and I took it just for the experience...my main concern would be in two years, when I apply to a larger company

Unless you work for a new company, majority of Corporate America is Conservative, you still got companies that trip about Facial hair, if you have to question why you;re getting the tatt are you sure you even need it?

You're black and you already have a lot working against you. Take whatever negative perception you associate with a white guy having tattoos in the office and multiple it by a 10. Hide your pieces bro.

Originally Posted by JayPesoz

Unless you come to work in short sleeves like Dwight Schrute, I really don't ever see tattoo sleeves being a problem.
rain-wilson.jpg

Dat i860
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

It depends though, I bought up the perception of it changing, because I have a few friends...one that works @ a larger company Afro-American, has a sleeve, and another friend who works @ a smaller company, both arms sleeved but still able to attain relatively decent employment....I wear long sleeves all the time, and I don't necessarily need it, just something I didn't want to get until I was somewhat "established" in my career

If you work for corporate america, more then likely you will have to wear long sleeve button up shirts and not plain t-shirts. The only spots you should really stay clear from is the neck and hands and for women, the legs. Other then that, you were fine. The only real downside is when it gets hot, you really can't roll your sleeves up.

In this generation Tattoos are still unprofessional in corporate America. It'll be a while until someone can accept a doctor or lawyer with visible tats, if ever. The general perception is young wild and rebellious, none of those terms are appealing in a business sense. Realistically it doesn't matter, we all know that, but perception and first impressions are important and sometimes vital.

Even if people say its not a problem Im sure everyone especially older cats wont think highly of you if you get visible tats.
Its frowned upon. Makes you look thuggish.
If I was you I wouldnt even think of getting sleeved up. Get a backpiece or a upperarm tat. Even chest is ok, calves also if you really wanna get tatted up.
Dont go below the elbows.
 As long as it cant be seen when you wear a short sleeved shirt youre ok.

Or take the other route and say eff what the world thinks
guccimane_face_tattoo.jpg

Its tricky. Like most people said, if you work in corporate America, you usually wear long sleeves. However, what about the days you have a work picnic or funday etc.. The partners all gasp and commotions begin.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Its tricky. Like most people said, if you work in corporate America, you usually wear long sleeves. However, what about the days you have a work picnic or funday etc.. The partners all gasp and commotions begin.

This is the only thing that would concern me....I said my left arm, because you always do hand shakes with the right, but those out of work gatherings are the only thing that would be concerning

Just don't get tattoos on your neck, especially upper neck. It will be tough to cover up.

Definitely not on your face either
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Neck and Face are no no, hands are no no too. Outside of that Unless you wear polos to work I don't see it being an issue. If you play golf though, older cats will give you a side eye I will say.

eyes.gif
Speakin of older fellas, i was at the gym minding my business lifting, next to me is an older dude, id say about 40-50 range, I have both of my upper arm tatted and i caught him staring at it and then shaking his head like son was in disappointment. I shrugged it off but def. expect stuff like this but do not let it get to you.

Originally Posted by 23kidd

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

eyes.gif
Speakin of older fellas, i was at the gym minding my business lifting, next to me is an older dude, id say about 40-50 range, I have both of my upper arm tatted and i caught him staring at it and then shaking his head like son was in disappointment. I shrugged it off but def. expect stuff like this but do not let it get to you.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

You're black and you already have a lot working against you. Take whatever negative perception you associate with a white guy having tattoos in the office and multiple it by a 10. Hide your pieces bro.
So much truth to this, take heed to this OP.

just wear long sleeves. I'm 19 and have a half sleeve on my forearm, my rationale is that if its a job where I'm wearing short sleeves, its a job that won't care about whether I'm tatted.

Originally Posted by FOOLIO

just wear long sleeves. I'm 19 and have a half sleeve on my forearm, my rationale is that if its a job where I'm wearing short sleeves, its a job that won't care about whether I'm tatted.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom