Tattoos in Corporate America

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by az5950

I'm in NC, from NY but i graduated from A&T....my mindset was that I should probably wait a little, but I only plan on staying @ this job for 2 years @ the max...its an entry level position, and I took it just for the experience...my main concern would be in two years, when I apply to a larger company

Unless you work for a new company, majority of Corporate America is Conservative, you still got companies that trip about Facial hair, if you have to question why you;re getting the tatt are you sure you even need it?
truth, so imagine how they feel about big stud earrings and tatts

Originally Posted by Put em up

Originally Posted by jmb1523

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Lol. but alot engineers and people like that wear mostly wear polo shirts with company logos.

yep

i work in the corporate world...and my coach(manager) is sleeved out. i have two big forearm tatts and im black.

our company attire is polo with company logo.

OP where you at in NC...RTP?

Na Orasi, @ the Greensboro office

Depends on the corporations and what industry. I can count the numbers of directors with tatts behind their ears, leg sleeves and wrist tatts. Nothing new.

I have a sleeve on my right arm, and on my forearm on my left arm. I have to wear long sleeve button-ups and slacks to work. However on Fridays, we have to wear the company polo which is short sleeve. I have never had a problem with this, although I do get looks from people outside our office in the hallways and such. Oh well...I make above average salary, and I'm good at my job, so whatever.

Tattoos are becoming common place everywhere. I do agree that there are too many youngsters with random tats that I know they will regret in the future. I feel that a lot of them just go to the tattoo shop, see something they think they like, and next thing you know they got a ak-47 tatted on their forehead. I have always made it a point to draw/or think up the concept for all my tats. None of them are "generic" except for some stupid Japanese symbols I got on my left arm that I got when I was 18.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

I have a sleeve on my right arm, and on my forearm on my left arm. I have to wear long sleeve button-ups and slacks to work. However on Fridays, we have to wear the company polo which is short sleeve. I have never had a problem with this, although I do get looks from people outside our office in the hallways and such. Oh well...I make above average salary, and I'm good at my job, so whatever.

Tattoos are becoming common place everywhere. I do agree that there are too many youngsters with random tats that I know they will regret in the future. I feel that a lot of them just go to the tattoo shop, see something they think they like, and next thing you know they got a ak-47 tatted on their forehead. I have always made it a point to draw/or think up the concept for all my tats. None of them are "generic" except for some stupid Japanese symbols I got on my left arm that I got when I was 18.
30t6p3b.gif
That was definitely big in the 90's (when i got most of my tattoos) 

I have a tattoo on my right wrist. I'm a medical student graduating next May. Easily concealable during an interview. I don't try to hide it when I'm working. I'm sure everyone notices it, but most don't ask about it. Personally, I think visible tattoos are acceptable as long as they are in good taste. Plenty will disagree though.

As soon as the older generation dies off you will have better ops. Right now, most see you as riff raff.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

I have a tattoo on my right wrist. I'm a medical student graduating next May. Easily concealable during an interview. I don't try to hide it when I'm working. I'm sure everyone notices it, but most don't ask about it. Personally, I think visible tattoos are acceptable as long as they are in good taste. Plenty will disagree though.

you black or white, famb?

At my company, a black man between the ages of 38-40 was fired before he completed training due to his image and speech. He had a tat on his neck, long 90's busta rhymes braids and he talked very thuggish/ghetto. The day after the clients came to the office, he was called into the office and he was let go.
The reason? He was late too many times. But, we all knew our clients didn't like his image.
One of my co-workers was let go after being continuously late during another 3 month probation for being late 20+ times within 3 months.
I work in a corporate environment...all white upper management...prolly one black guy....business attire with casual fridays. Visible tattoos are a nono if you want to work anywhere with a corporate/business/professional setting...and this is coming from a guy who wants a sleeve really bad and i have a huge tattoo on my back.

i work in the corporate world and i have no tats on my neck,face,hands and sleeves run up about 2 inches above my wrist just so that when i lift up my hand or anything my ink isn't visible.

Originally Posted by ar916

Not worth it

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there.

Originally Posted by 21shots

Not worth it

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there.

trolling much or cereal?

idiots are everywhere.  I just cant tell anymore.  

Originally Posted by misterj

Not worth it

trolling much or cereal?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I wouldn't have a tat anywhere that could potentially be visible IMO. Will definitely be a problem for some peeps...

Originally Posted by az5950

Just wanted insight on how everyone feels about having visible tattoos below the elbow and having a corporate job/career, and if you think the perception of tattoos have, or will ever sway to the point of acceptance throughout Corporate America 
In my case, I'm a young Afro American male...24 to be exact, recent graduate and just attained a job @ this Software Company as a QA tester...business casual environment laid back atmosphere ...but I'm still apprehensive about sleeving my left arm, just because of the possible negative perception that could come from it.
Discuss 
nerd.gif
Know your role..............................

If you did, you wouldnt ask this question.............................

Lead engineer for the irvine company. I got full Japanese sleeves on both arms. I rock short sleeves 95% of the time. If you ain't never heard of "the irvine company" google it and see if that's corporate enough for you. I don't think it matters as long as its not something people would find offensive. Just rock long sleeves and after your coworkers feel comfortable around you. Start rocking short sleeves. Just don't tattoo anything below your wrist. Like your hands or fingers. Or even your neck.If you're wondering. I'm 25 and Filipino. I wouldn't hire anyone with tattoos that look like crap. Or like it was done In a garage, my work ethic speaks for itself. (that's why I'm a supervisor)

Originally Posted by JibHUNT7

Lead engineer for the irvine company. I got full Japanese sleeves on both arms. I rock short sleeves 95% of the time. If you ain't never heard of "the irvine company" google it and see if that's corporate enough for you. I don't think it matters as long as its not something people would find offensive. Just rock long sleeves and after your coworkers feel comfortable around you. Start rocking short sleeves. Just don't tattoo anything below your wrist. Like your hands or fingers. Or even your neck.

I don't see how you can give this advice to someone.
laugh.gif

If you have to question whether or not you should do something... you probably shouldn't do it... at all.

Originally Posted by JibHUNT7

Lead engineer for the irvine company. I got full Japanese sleeves on both arms. I rock short sleeves 95% of the time. If you ain't never heard of "the irvine company" google it and see if that's corporate enough for you. I don't think it matters as long as its not something people would find offensive. Just rock long sleeves and after your coworkers feel comfortable around you. Start rocking short sleeves. Just don't tattoo anything below your wrist. Like your hands or fingers. Or even your neck.

It's not.

Your attempt at being pretentious was  a fail.

In life, sometimes it's better to maintain humility.

Originally Posted by misterj

Not worth it

trolling much or cereal?

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
I can't live this life anymore. 

On a related note, have you guys ever been judged on wearing your normal, non-work clothes at work? I wear slacks and button ups all the time and we had a company picnic and I came in jeans, sneakers, white tee and SF Giants hat and I got all types of judgemental looks. Granted I am sort of the young one in the company (still...I am 30) but I thought that was way worse then when people see my tattoos when I am wearing slacks and a button up.

Back
Top Bottom