The 10 Most Expensive Places to Raise a Family in the United States

I left Queens in late 08 after I joined the Air Force. I don't ever see myself coming back permanently. The cost of living is just too high. My family wants me to come back but I had to tell my mom over the holidays that the only way I would even consider it is if I was pulling 6 figures. I was in Hampton Roads, VA for the past 6 years and I liked being able to live comfortably and still put money away in savings. I had a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house that was only costing me $1600 monthly. You aren't getting that anywhere in NYC right now, period. So many of my friends just don't realize they're caught up in the hamster wheel right now with no end in sight. I can't do it. Not after seeing how much more I can get for my money elsewhere.

Now that's dope. I live in Richmond Hill which is right next to Jamaica...prob a 5 min car ride to Jamaica Ave. I'm at that age now where I can just up and leave and your story gives me hope of finding another place to lay my head. It's that adjustment hump you have to get over moving out of not just a big metropolitan city...but THE big metropolitan city.

NYC spoils people man. With all the bad things we gotta deal with, all the negative...the diversity, the public transportation, the grittiness, the people, the ability to drive 5-10 minutes an be in a different world....that's just priceless man. But as a man you gotta think about the future. Tough decisions. I would have loved to raise my kids in this city but it seems it that would end up costing more than what I want to provide for them. God damn shame man.

I feel you man. I'm 29 now and I take so much into consideration when it comes to a place I want to call home. When I was in my early 20s I just wanted to be where the action was. I'm not so concerned with things like that anymore. I just want to live comfortable in a nice home, with a nice car and be able to do anything I want. NYC will always be home because that's where I was born and raised. I just don't necessarily see a future there for myself. If this FAA gig comes through and I get the salary I want, who knows.

I just know I'm past the point of being satisfied with just getting by. Those days are long gone. If I can't flourish, then I'll simply go elsewhere.

Last edited:

That list is Madd Sketch. Aside from Memphis & SA, those are mostly Big Towns vs Cities. No way im living in a city that doesn't have at least two pro sports teams...mainly the NFL & NBA. I could take it or leave it with MLB & the NHL. Cheapest and Value are completely different definitions. Would definitely like to see the ranking of the top 20 biggest US Cities, definitely a better comparo.

:lol:

So pretty much I should consider moving to OKC, Orlando, Jacksonville or Sacramento to get my life together.

Last edited:
Whoa there cowboy...you talking a little crazy. So bc I live Raleigh/Durham my career is weak?

The Triad is a kool area, no doubt. My point in my last post was that if you can't make it in a big city climbing the corporate ladder then your goals are suspect to start with - IE: in reference to "bread over circuses". A Big city will always have more opportunities over a Big town no matter how cheap the cost of living is.

Whoa there cowboy...you talking a little crazy. So bc I live Raleigh/Durham my career is weak?

The Triad is a kool area, no doubt. My point in my last post was that if you can't make it in a big city climbing the corporate ladder then your goals are suspect to start with - IE: in reference to "bread over circuses". A Big city will always have more opportunities over a Big town no matter how cheap the cost of living is.

But Raleigh isn't the triad, that's Greensboro and High point. Raleigh is the triangle, and rated the best for business and careers. But I hear you man.

Last edited:
But Raleigh isn't the triad, that's Greensboro and High point. Raleigh is the triangle, and rated the best for business and careers. But I hear you man.

Always lumped it in the triad moniker, that's my bad. Raleigh has been on the major come-up though. Probably one of the only cities in the US that doesnt have at least two pro teams where you can make serious bank. If i wasnt a finance guy and was a techy, it would have been a crazy tough choice to pick Charlotte over Raleigh because ive seen the salaries dudes pull in working for IBM and Microsoft there. Basically the Silicon Valley of the east.

Aye since you live in Raleigh, let me ask you this.... my best friend's great aunt was telling me not to go to Raleigh because of the lack of opportunities to further your career as a PoC is very limited. Do you feel as if there is any validity to this? Because I would love to live in the Raleigh & Durham area, because that's not so far from where I grew up, but I don't want to worry about a glass ceiling hanging over me.

Always lumped it in the triad moniker, that's my bad. Raleigh has been on the major come-up though. Probably one of the only cities in the US that doesnt have at least two pro teams where you can make serious bank. If i wasnt a finance guy and was a techy, it would have been a crazy tough choice to pick Charlotte over Raleigh because ive seen the salaries dudes pull in working for IBM and Microsoft there. Basically the Silicon Valley of the east.
I think the DC area is the silicon valley of the east, dulles toll road was actually already given the nickname.

Yes PoC is person of color lmao.

Last edited:

Aye since you live in Raleigh, let me ask you this.... my best friend's great aunt was telling me not to go to Raleigh because of the lack of opportunities to further your career as a PoC is very limited. Do you feel as if there is any validity to this? Because I would love to live in the Raleigh & Durham area, because that's not so far from where I grew up, but I don't want to worry about a glass ceiling hanging over me.
Oh since I got clarification on POC...all the people I associate with seem to be doing pretty well. Even though you never know what's going on in other people houses. I mean if you got your head on straight I think you can flourish here. Like somebody said this is a tech, science and medicine/healthcare area. My right hand mans just moved here from DC and got into the Pharmaceutical device saleman industry, dude did very well for himself last year. I'm talking like 250k.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom