The 10 Most Expensive Places to Raise a Family in the United States

Oh since I got clarification on POC...all the people I associate with seem to be doing pretty well. Even though you never know what's going on in other people houses. I mean if you got your head on straight I think you can flourish here. Like somebody said this is a tech, science and medicine/healthcare area. My right hand mans just moved here from DC and got into the Pharmaceutical device saleman industry, dude did very well for himself last year. I'm talking like 250k.
Okay, because I'm a third-year engineering major right now, and like I said I wanted to relocate to Raleigh because it is a nice area and like 45 minutes away from home. I'm looking at NC State's grad school, which is one of the best in the nation and whatever. Raleigh has just about everything I would want in a city (diversity, education, food, culture, it's in the South lol), but I don't want to worry about the proverbial class ceiling over my head. Although I also need to have the mentality that as long as I work hard and carry the right attitude, I can make it anywhere in this country, even as a young black man. Appreciate the insight, perhaps in a couple years I'll be in the city.

I'm cool livin in Philly at the moment. But make no mistake about it, gentrification is happening here as well. But it's still affordable to live comfortable out here. I can't complain, I'm not far from DC, NYC, or the shore in the event I wanna travel and do something. But being originally from NYC (The Bronx in particular) and going back to see Fam and friends so often, the allure of moving back has lost it's luster to me. NYC ain't what it used to be. Philly is on the comeup.

i think its slow with philly. especially north of spring garden. i've def seen new buildings pop up since graduating temple, but i regularly visit and see a building that i have no memory of. but for a northeast city, the affordability is thru the roof. philly is by far the easiest city to live in, it is so renter friendly, price wise and availability wise. don't really have that income minimum stuff that is huge in nyc.

a lot of philly (can't say most tho) is rundown, desperate for economic growth...this is going away from center city. empty lots, and bombed out houses n ****.

word is jamaica queens slated to be the new hotspot for lux apts and condos :nerd: :nerd:

Wouldn't surprise me at all, we now have white people in Saint Albans. I remember when I was there it was all Caribbean and black a little latino, but the only white people there were very old and very few.

yea i hear its the same thing for bed stuy

i think its slow with philly. especially north of spring garden. i've def seen new buildings pop up since graduating temple, but i regularly visit and see a building that i have no memory of. but for a northeast city, the affordability is thru the roof. philly is by far the easiest city to live in, it is so renter friendly, price wise and availability wise. don't really have that income minimum stuff that is huge in nyc.

a lot of philly (can't say most tho) is rundown, desperate for economic growth...this is going away from center city. empty lots, and bombed out houses n ****.

Replace Philly with Baltimore and it pretty much matches up.

Rep'd. And i never get racial with things but brown dude's these days Really need to study this list and decide for themselves what they want in their future endeavors. The fact that ATL is #1, Raleigh is #2, & Charlotte being #4 on that Forbes list is not a fluke y0. $$$ is to be made in this country, you just have to pick the correct locations.

If it means anything I got recruited by MetLife to work in Raleigh and they paid more and I was recruited by two POCs. Also the company I work for has a Cary office which has POCs

Last edited:
If it means anything I got recruited by MetLife to work in Raleigh and they paid more and I was recruited by two POCs. Also the company I work for has a Cary office which has POCs
You married or single...pause. I ask bc some of my homies don't believe how bad the sisters are here.

Last edited:
I've been looking at relocating to Charlotte or Raleigh recently but gotta get the scratch up and find a gig down there; I'm tired of PA

I've been looking at relocating to Charlotte or Raleigh recently but gotta get the scratch up and find a gig down there; I'm tired of PA

Was thinking bout this move next from the dc area, but seeing things in perspective I think I might just move back closer to fam in Hampton roads VA at some point. Cold world out there without the people that hold you down close by. Homeless bruh got me thinking.

Was thinking bout this move next from the dc area, but seeing things in perspective I think I might just move back closer to fam in Hampton roads VA at some point. Cold world out there without the people that hold you down close by. Homeless bruh got me thinking.

I'm already there. Outside of my sister-in-law, my wife and I don't have any support when it comes to the kids if we wanted to go on a date or something. We'll go out on our anniversary and that's about it. She wants to move w/ us wherever we go so at least we'll still have that support system. I just can't move back home, there's nothing there.

Word. I'm a family man and went to school far far away. Once I got back, Raleigh was perfect, hour away. They're close but not too close. Same for my lady, she's from Charlotte so her people are 1.5 hours away. Now that she's pregnant, family is right at hands reach. That support system is key man.

Last edited:
Had no clue you were from the 75. You plan on working down there?

Yeah that's where my fam settled when we left ny, lived there almost 10 yrs. gotta pad my résumé before even considering it though, the pay and opportunities there are woeful.

Last edited:
Yeah that's where my fam settled when we left ny, lived there almost 10 yrs. gotta pad my résumé before even considering it though, the pay and opportunities there are woeful.
Wordd thats whatsup my moms side from Shell Rd. Yeah opportunities are slim, but they are out there.

. Philly is on the comeup.

Truf.

We lived there for a summer a while back when the wife was doing her summer associates, Philly is definitely a great town. Neighborhoods are different too. It's big enough where if you want a house and yard, you can find something affordable; or if you want to live downtown (center city) in a hi rise, you can do that too.

. Philly is on the comeup.

Truf.

We lived there for a summer a while back when the wife was doing her summer associates, Philly is definitely a great town. Neighborhoods are different too. It's big enough where if you want a house and yard, you can find something affordable; or if you want to live downtown (center city) in a hi rise, you can do that too.

But it's still in Pennsylvania which isn't a great state in terms of taxes, maintenance, opportunity, weather, etc. Hell, we STILL don't have a state budget :smh:

Over the years I've grown to accept that some places are great to visit but not reside, like Atlanta. At first I was all for moving there, years later and I don't really see the benefit of it anymore.

But it's still in Pennsylvania which isn't a great state in terms of taxes, maintenance, opportunity, weather, etc. Hell, we STILL don't have a state budget
mean.gif

Over the years I've grown to accept that some places are great to visit but not reside, like Atlanta. At first I was all for moving there, years later and I don't really see the benefit of it anymore.
Why are you against atlanta?

But it's still in Pennsylvania which isn't a great state in terms of taxes, maintenance, opportunity, weather, etc. Hell, we STILL don't have a state budget :smh:

Why are you against atlanta?

It's not that I'm against it, but more so that I just don't really want to move there as much as I used to. If an opportunity came along that took me there then coo, the housing market is still great down there. But as far as actively looking to move down there, just looking into it anymore. After my wife and I talked, we both felt like we were gravitating more towards NC.

Back
Top Bottom