The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayyyybe think about not playing him 40+ minutes every night when the goal is to win in May and June.

Come on, Thibs. :smh:

I couldn't be happier that Jimmy Butler is playing 40 MPG, he was cooked last year. :pimp:

If the raps face him in the playoffs, with our depth, multiple scoring gaurds, should increase our chances of upsetting them. :smokin

yesjacknicholson.gif

View media item 1353846

guys, are we really going let this slide? in his second season of his career, he started more than half of the games and played over 34 minutes on the We Believe team. Then he started pretty much every game after that season. When BDiddy left, monta putted up 26, 5 & 4 then 24, 6, 4. Yeah, they might not have been winning but he was putting up numbers and having solid all around seasons.

Rivers will never become Monta-like ever because he's not crafty, doesn't have the quickness or mid-range game of Monta. If he doesn't posses Monta top 3 trait, how can he become like monta? Monta's rookie season showed more promise than what river has done up to this point. His ceiling isn't an AS caliber player, starting for a championship contender team. His current game doesn't translate into winning basketball
Ok my bad I meant playoffs.  When the Warriors were in the playoffs he played like 10 mins a game.  He only got the green light because they let BDavis, SJax and Matt Barnes go the same offseason.  They had no one else to play guard, they even tried him at the point.  That was right around the time he got that contract and messed his leg on a scooter or something, but I remember watching them play.  He got minutes, plays run for him everything.  He was good but on a bad team.  And say what you want it wasnt until this year that he "put it all together"  being a good player on a good team.

But regardless of all that, when I say he's like Monta, I mean in position and skill set.  They are both tweener guards who came out early.  They both were unrefined, and you can say Monta is more athletic, but his J was just a broke and his handles always been shaky, that y no one would ever put him at the 1.  All Im saying is if Austin had the same green light early in his career we would saying a different story about him right now.

Wow. I think you need to do more research on Monta Ellis coming out of High School.

He was on a COMPLETELY different level than Austin Rivers coming out of Duke.

And this was my point. That dude had unimaginable hype, and he himself bought into it. And he has phenomenal attributes that can actually translate if given the right training.

But you never know, dudes damn near gave up on steph curry because he 'couldn't be a point guard' and 'all he could do was shoot', and he had 'suspect ankles'. 

Theres a couple dudes who I feel similiarly about (OJ Mayo, Jerry Bayless, CDR, Terrence Williams, Jeremy Lamb)

Dudes who have great skill sets but for one reason or another can't put together a complete package to even get to relevancy.
This

And why is everybody talking about HS my argument has nothing to do abt HS or even college.

Austin Rivers passes the eye test in the NBA.  Hes quick enough and has enough handles to get past anybody, has springs and can shoot.  The only thing Ive seen with him is that he looks tentative and doesnt have that same confidence in his game.  He just looks scared out there, like a 2 guard trying to play PG, second guessing every move he makes. 

He looks like a talented player, but on a team that doesn't put him in the best position to be successful

You guys overrate guys like Austin Rivers, OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley, Terrence Williams then act like something is wrong with them mentally and that's why they didn't live up to your expectations. Austin can't shoot or finish inside or defend. All those other guys have actual skill or athletic flaws that hold them back from being consistently good.

And why is everybody talking about HS my argument has nothing to do abt HS or even college.

Austin Rivers passes the eye test in the NBA.   Hes quick enough and has enough handles to get past anybody, has springs and can shoot.  The only thing Ive seen with him is that he looks tentative and doesnt have that same confidence in his game.  He just looks scared out there, like a 2 guard trying to play PG, second guessing every move he makes. 

He looks like a talented player, but on a team that doesn't put him in the best position to be successful
No...he doesn't. At this level...he only passes the eye test if he's a legit PG...which he is not. 

He also is not an above average athlete on this level and cannot consistently break his man down off the bounce...nor does he have the strength to consistently finish at the rim. He also isn't NEARLY the shooter he appeared to be in HS and he proved that at Duke.

That's the difference between him and Monta coming into the league. Even after a knee injury...Monta was an ELITE athlete. From day one...he was fast and athletic enough to get by in the NBA. 

He wasn't a shooter...but his athleticism and ability to get to the cup against anyone is why he was able to jump from HS to the league. Austin is not even in the same ballpark when discussing those attributes. Had it not been for his knee injury , Monta would have VERY likely been a 1st round pick. 

Last edited:
You guys overrate guys like Austin Rivers, OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley, Terrence Williams then act like something is wrong with them mentally and that's why they didn't live up to your expectations. Austin can't shoot or finish inside or defend. All those other guys have actual skill or athletic flaws that hold them back from being consistently good.

but but but he cooked at K state so effortlessly

No...he doesn't. At this level...he only passes the eye test if he's a legit PG...which he is not. 

He also is not an above average athlete on this level and cannot consistently break his man down off the bounce...nor does he have the strength to consistently finish at the rim. He also isn't NEARLY the shooter he appeared to be in HS and he proved that at Duke.

That's the difference between him and Monta coming into the league. Even after a knee injury...Monta was an ELITE athlete. From day one...he was fast and athletic enough to get by in the NBA. 

He wasn't a shooter...but his athleticism and ability to get to the cup against anyone is why he was able to jump from HS to the league. Austin is not even in the same ballpark when discussing those attributes. Had it not been for his knee injury , Monta would have VERY likely been a 1st round pick. 
I get all that, but it just seems to me a lot of Austins issues are mental.  He plays scared and tentative, and I think its because he's out of position.   Thats y I wanna see what Doc does with him.  I think in a different environment he gonna do well.

I get all that, but it just seems to me a lot of Austins issues are mental.  He plays scared and tentative, and I think its because he's out of position.   Thats y I wanna see what Doc does with him.  I think in a different environment he gonna do well.

That's what you not getting g.

The issues with austin aren't mental. He physically is an undersized 2 who can play the one for some time. He can't shoot. He can't finish at the rim. Can't go left. He has some serious issues in the skill department man and i'm the biggest austin fan on here.

Also

Michael Beasly shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Austin Rivers

Austin wasn't good at Duke, and OJ Mayo was like 20 years old in high school. :lol:

Beasley absolutely deserved the hype and to act like his bust status was some obvious thing is just revisionist history.

Austin entire career hinges on him being a good shooter, he can't shoot, he can't be in the league.

and you can't repeat that ridiculous jump shot of his with the conditioning demands of the NBA.

We peeped it when he played u18 FIBA, the higher the level of competition = the more defense he had to play = his jumpshot stopped working.

Also

Michael Beasly shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Austin Rivers

Austin wasn't good at Duke, and OJ Mayo was like 20 years old in high school. :lol:

Beasley absolutely deserved the hype and to act like his bust status was some obvious thing is just revisionist history.

Chilllll, OJ was 19 in high school! :lol:

And this has nothing to do with your post in particular, but people tend to not realize that OJ lit it up at SC, especially towards the end of his freshman year. He was at like 26 a game on like 55% or something like that over his last 8 to 10 games. However, it was obvious someone with OJ's skillset was destined to be an above average player in the L, despite his name. (Undersized 2, below average athlete, couldn't get to the line)

That's what you not getting g.

The issues with austin aren't mental. He physically is an undersized 2 who can play the one for some time. He can't shoot. He can't finish at the rim. Can't go left. He has some serious issues in the skill department man and i'm the biggest austin fan on here.
Lets see what Doc does with him.  Yall acting like hes a str8 bust, I think he can make a mark in the league.  Time will tell

I thought OJ could have did something, but when he came to the league its like he forgot how to dribble.

But FR FR he fell way off right when Tony Allen pieced him up over that card money

Peeps getting antsy and defensive defending prospects on a retro basis.

Glenn Rivers: "Son !!"

Austin: "Yes Pops"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom