The College Basketball Post

You guys think the light will go on this year for Dawson at Mich. State? Dude is a freak athlete bc something is just missing with him.

I think he's similar to Glenn Robinso. Very athletic but can't really create for himself. I don't know what to think about this sparty team. I'm not buying Trice and Valentine as being to carry this team with Dawson. But Izzo is going to do what he always does and get the most out his team.

You guys think the light will go on this year for Dawson at Mich. State? Dude is a freak athlete bc something is just missing with him.

I think he's similar to Glenn Robinso. Very athletic but can't really create for himself. I don't know what to think about this sparty team. I'm not buying Trice and Valentine as being to carry this team with Dawson. But Izzo is going to do what he always does and get the most out his team.

valentine probably going to be the most important player.

Trice gonna get buckets too

Thump my chest? Ok..

Johnnies program is dead, safe to say. Lavin will be out in the next two years and another **** *** recycled coach will take his place. Massielo would be a great higher but after USF, I doubt they go down that route.

Seen Briscoe a lot this summer, I'ma big fan of his on the college level. Think he'll be a very nice fit at UK. Him and Ulis next year could be real good in the backcourt next year. Still have to think UK another couple from this class.

Excited for tomorrow!

Think one of the favorites (UK, Duke, Zona, Wisc) gets it this year but UCONN is prolly my dark horse again.

I don't even see them canning Lavin. They don't care enough to get rid of someone long as the program is run cleanly. Only reason they canned Norm was because dudes started threatening to not donate anymore to the school. I think Lavin quits before he gets fired. From what I've heard, he would've taken the USC job if they offered it to him.

I'm just going to vent.

Lavin needs to be fired. I don't care if he quits, frankly no one should. He has been billed as a false bill of goods. I was writing for a St. John's site the day he got hired and covered his introductory press conference. Like many we were all excited to get a "high profile" coach, who had strong recruiting (or so we thought) skills and had experience at UCLA winning.

His first year he takes SJU to the tournament, but with Norm's guys. Since then, it's been a disaster. He is getting a pass because two kids - Moe Harkless and Jakarr Sampson got to the league so it looks good on his SJU resume. Frankly, he is a TERRIBLE COACH, with a TERRIBLE basketball IQ and no sense of how to properly utilize his talent - including proper substitutions.

What is always said? We are NY's team and all it'll take is one guy to turn it all around. Well that one guy was Moe Harkless...than JaKarr...now it was going to be Briscoe.

What hurt the most with Briscoe was the trickle down effect. With Briscoe Diallo and Sampson would have come to Queens. Now the chances of either coming are -3029%.

I'm sick and tired of people talking about the "good ol days" SJU needs to be a winning program now, kids need to come here and be a face of NY basketball. Briscoe had a great opportunity at ample playing time, spotlight and a chance to be the man. Can I fault him for his decision, absolutely not, but I'm dying to see SJU become formidable.

This year we have a team full of seniors so we could make some noise, but the fact remains is there is no building for the future, no one is signed for 2015...and it's just a sad time as a fan. Lavin and co. recruited Briscoe for YEARS...Cal didn't get involved till the Peach Jam and boom we lose.

I'm angry, I'm upset and I'm sick and tired of mediocrity.

Here's to a successful season for my Red Storm and the hope for one day to be great...

Lavin has just failed to build a program. A program like SJU isn't built on one and done talent, and the one and done guys that you've brought in aren't program changing talent. He's trying to take shortcuts in building the program. The year that St. John's had success under Lavin was with a veteran laden team. You can't try to shorcut it and act as if you're a UK or a program like that. Player development should be a huge part of Lavin's program, but he's clearly not adept at that. Quicker you get him out of Queens, the better.

Lavin has just failed to build a program. A program like SJU isn't built on one and done talent, and the one and done guys that you've brought in aren't program changing talent. He's trying to take shortcuts in building the program. The year that St. John's had success under Lavin was with a veteran laden team. You can't try to shorcut it and act as if you're a UK or a program like that. Player development should be a huge part of Lavin's program, but he's clearly not adept at that. Quicker you get him out of Queens, the better.
His best year wasn't even with his players :lol: They should've been better last season man. There's problems with the way he rubs people. He doesn't go above and beyond for you like some of these other coaches do. Lot of the times, he's not even in the office. Dude would bolt for a job out west if it ever came his way.

I agree, Lavin has no idea how to develop talent. He struggles with X's and O's more than any coach I have EVER seen in sports

Thump my chest? Ok..

Johnnies program is dead, safe to say. Lavin will be out in the next two years and another **** *** recycled coach will take his place. Massielo would be a great higher but after USF, I doubt they go down that route.

Seen Briscoe a lot this summer, I'ma big fan of his on the college level. Think he'll be a very nice fit at UK. Him and Ulis next year could be real good in the backcourt next year. Still have to think UK another couple from this class.

Excited for tomorrow!

Think one of the favorites (UK, Duke, Zona, Wisc) gets it this year but UCONN is prolly my dark horse again.

I don't even see them canning Lavin. They don't care enough to get rid of someone long as the program is run cleanly. Only reason they canned Norm was because dudes started threatening to not donate anymore to the school. I think Lavin quits before he gets fired. From what I've heard, he would've taken the USC job if they offered it to him.

I'm just going to vent.

Lavin needs to be fired. I don't care if he quits, frankly no one should. He has been billed as a false bill of goods. I was writing for a St. John's site the day he got hired and covered his introductory press conference. Like many we were all excited to get a "high profile" coach, who had strong recruiting (or so we thought) skills and had experience at UCLA winning.

His first year he takes SJU to the tournament, but with Norm's guys. Since then, it's been a disaster. He is getting a pass because two kids - Moe Harkless and Jakarr Sampson got to the league so it looks good on his SJU resume. Frankly, he is a TERRIBLE COACH, with a TERRIBLE basketball IQ and no sense of how to properly utilize his talent - including proper substitutions.

What is always said? We are NY's team and all it'll take is one guy to turn it all around. Well that one guy was Moe Harkless...than JaKarr...now it was going to be Briscoe.

What hurt the most with Briscoe was the trickle down effect. With Briscoe Diallo and Sampson would have come to Queens. Now the chances of either coming are -3029%.

I'm sick and tired of people talking about the "good ol days" SJU needs to be a winning program now, kids need to come here and be a face of NY basketball. Briscoe had a great opportunity at ample playing time, spotlight and a chance to be the man. Can I fault him for his decision, absolutely not, but I'm dying to see SJU become formidable.

This year we have a team full of seniors so we could make some noise, but the fact remains is there is no building for the future, no one is signed for 2015...and it's just a sad time as a fan. Lavin and co. recruited Briscoe for YEARS...Cal didn't get involved till the Peach Jam and boom we lose.

I'm angry, I'm upset and I'm sick and tired of mediocrity.

Here's to a successful season for my Red Storm and the hope for one day to be great...
It's funny but we probably used to pass each other all the time on game day and didn't even know it. Norm would do anything for his players and employees, Lav is the opposite. I was a manager under Norm but quit my senior year (Lavs first) since I wanted the time off, lot of my guys that stayed with things had marginal things to say about Lavin. He doesn't go out of his way to help people like Norm used to. He's barely in the office. Any success that team had, was all Dunlap. Once Dunlap left Lav got exploited for who he is as a coach.

Last edited:
Crazy thing is, Lavin was the runner-up for the Cincy job. 
sick.gif
 And he had a lot of people pushing for him because of his recruiting prowess and how decimated the program was at the time. 

Back
Top Bottom