The Combat Jack Show Thread

all the smoke had the last recorded convo with kobe and that’s their only real big moment

kwame kinda dimmed their light and they haven’t recovered since

they were looked at as the premier sports pod for bouta year but the market got crowded with heavy hitters and they got pushed to the side

funny thing is shannons show not even sports related but him being a former athlete and black got boys draws on fire

I forgot SXSW was in the spring. Is it still huge like that? Has it died down the past couple years in terms of music?

I feel like it peaked from 2011-2018

all the smoke had the last recorded convo with kobe and that’s their only real big moment

kwame kinda dimmed their light and they haven’t recovered since

they were looked at as the premier sports pod for bouta year but the market got crowded with heavy hitters and they got pushed to the side

funny thing is shannons show not even sports related but him being a former athlete and black got boys draws on fire

They go viral for clown acts and not the show. Like Matt trying to intimidate a kid or Jack going back and forth with someone.

If you want to be indie, fine, but not when you want corporate backing like at Showtime. You end up like Matt and his Sacramento job. They'll pivot to a cleaner look.

Matt and Steve want to have one foot in the streets and one foot out

Them dudes 40+ years old still trying to prove how tough they are.

Like bro, y’all have made millions upon millions. Shouldn’t be that insecure about fitting in. Still trying to prove points when you’ve already arrived makes no sense

Knuckleheads>>>>>All the Smoke

+1

Stephen Jackson been a clown.

dudes in the league speak highly of jack, it’s not very likely that anyone should co-sign 100% of every decision/thing any person does…the stories of him backing his teammates in indiana @ the club & him leaving his fiancé on the wedding day are goated tho

They go viral for clown acts and not the show. Like Matt trying to intimidate a kid or Jack going back and forth with someone.

If you want to be indie, fine, but not when you want corporate backing like at Showtime. You end up like Matt and his Sacramento job. They'll pivot to a cleaner look.

i think their podcast is cool, i can’t recall them ever going viral tho

Matt and Steve want to have one foot in the streets and one foot out

Them dudes 40+ years old still trying to prove how tough they are.

Like bro, y’all have made millions upon millions. Shouldn’t be that insecure about fitting in. Still trying to prove points when you’ve already arrived makes no sense

you think it’s about fitting in? people are who they are, money/status doesn’t fundamentally change folk…as far as the criticism of unc from them (or more pointedly jack) i agree with them/him that shannon’s response over jokes was a bit weird/overly serious as a person who exists in the public sphere, but it is what it is…

unc & ocho are comedy, haven’t really watched any of club shay shay(?) interviews outside of the one he did w/his brother tho; don’t dig his interview style

jak reminds me of chris brown

just overly trying to fit in situations where hes not needed

we don’t need jak or chris in the streets

they both have many other talents to showcase but they’ll gladly get extorted instead of minding their business

Vlad counting Unc pockets, grown men jealous as ****. Disgusting. :lol: :smh:

did you watch the vid? vlad was just speaking from his, albeit limited knowledge of shannon’s business, experienced perspective as a guy that makes content…why is that hating? or necessarily jealousy?? at least from the the clip, it came up organically in conversation…

did you watch the vid? vlad was just speaking from his, albeit limited knowledge of shannon’s business, experienced perspective as a guy that makes content…why is that hating? or necessarily jealousy?? at least from the the clip, it came up organically in conversation…

Came up organically? for real? It's multiple vids with Shannon name in it. Why is he counting that man pockets? He been tryna piggyback off that interview since it dropped.

Then he was saying

"Shannon does the same thing I do but people criticize me" :lol:

Came up organically? for real? It's multiple vids with Shannon name in it. Why is he counting that man pockets? He been tryna piggyback off that interview since it dropped.

Then he was saying

not sure what vlad meant by ‘same thing’ & ‘criticize’ without more context, but from the clip in the vid blackson says something like he (unc) made a lot of money on the vid, to which vlad makes some quick maths & arrives at an estimate based on his knowledge creating content on the same platform…

not that i’ve been following along but you can’t be that surprised that vlad, the guy that routinely & opportunely reposts content any time an even tangental cultural happenings happen would talk about something that was so popular?

Bro…. Shannon is a HALL OF FAME football player. Dude has been a millionaire since the 90s. If Vlad doesn’t have the common sense to understand that, than that’s his fault.

Sterling and Shannon Sharpe have been millionaires since the 90s :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vlad pocket watching

Shannon’s entertainment presence supersedes VLAD. Drafted in 1990, a pro bowler, worked at CBS for over a decade. Vlad can’t compare.

Last edited:

Exactly. Like bruh, Shannon is BLACK and relatable to US. Of course he’s going to have more leverage and pull with his people. When Michael Blackston mention Shannon making millions off the interview, Vlad IMMEDIATELY tried to dispel it. Vlad jumped out the window and had to make it about him. He should’ve kept any thoughts about it to himself

What he really should’ve did was not even comment on that. Shouldn’t have spoke on how much he made. Should’ve let Mike talk and move on

not sure what vlad meant by ‘same thing’ & ‘criticize’ without more context, but from the clip in the vid blackson says something like he (unc) made a lot of money on the vid, to which vlad makes some quick maths & arrives at an estimate based on his knowledge creating content on the same platform…

not that i’ve been following along but you can’t be that surprised that vlad, the guy that routinely & opportunely reposts content any time an even tangental cultural happenings happen would talk about something that was so popular?

Man at the end of the day people like Vlad that's been doing this for YEARS are upset that Shannon only been doing his show for 4 years and got THAT interview from Katt. We don't need to go in circles about it.

Bro…. Shannon is a HALL OF FAME football player. Dude has been a millionaire since the 90s. If Vlad doesn’t have the common sense to understand that, than that’s his fault.

Sterling and Shannon Sharpe have been millionaires since the 90s :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vlad pocket watching

Shannon’s entertainment presence supersedes VLAD. Drafted in 1990, a pro bowler, worked at CBS for over a decade. Vlad can’t compare.

‘pocket watching’ for folk that are in business of creating content is probably a natural/reflexive thing, if i played pro ball in the league & overseas & we talking about pro hoopers & the subject of money comes up me mentioning the pay scale to give context to the discourse would be hating? in the subtext of the convo between vlad & blackson is the ‘etiquette’ of that the katt interview in terms of saying a bunch stuff that was either hearsay or outright lies

as far as the criticism of unc from them (or more pointedly jack) i agree with them/him that shannon’s response over jokes was a bit weird/overly serious as a person who exists in the public sphere, but it is what it is…

Shannon's response was that way because Mike blatantly lied about him reaching out for Mike to be on the show when it was Mike who hit Shannon up to get on

Dude is a clown...he just says whatever. But it's "jokes" and misunderstanding :lol:

Shannon's response was that way because Mike blatantly lied about him reaching out for Mike to be on the show when it was Mike who hit Shannon up to get on

Dude is a clown...he just says whatever. But it's "jokes" and misunderstanding :lol:

Exactly. Just be lying for no reason.

Mike is a prime example of a person who doesn’t think before speaking. He lied about Shannon reaching out, then Shannon addressed him, accordingly.

Did we talk about that? I saw that the other day and was thinking of our conversation.

It's people with pods who I didn't know had pods, like Patrick Beverly, Rasheed or DWade. I never cared what Pat thought about anything. Who was asking for that?

It seems like it's whoever has the most money behind them or goes viral, but I wonder if people listen. I hear about Draymond, Cam and the Kelce brothers, but I never wondered what any of them thought about something. They're probably recycling the same guest.

Once they get through their stories, what else do they have? It's only so much time during the day, and I don't have time for all these new pods. I at least see someone like Jeff Teague being funny. Gilbert is Gilbert.

I think that's why Stephen Jackson is acting the way he does. Their space is getting crowded. That's why it's a good thing Shannon got beyond sports.

Yeah I think we did. There's so much of them I actually don't think "there's room for everyone" applies anymore because they're going after the same audience. Spot on about the jealousy from dudes like Stack. Shannon's show isn't even sports.

Did we talk about that? I saw that the other day and was thinking of our conversation.

It's people with pods who I didn't know had pods, like Patrick Beverly, Rasheed or DWade. I never cared what Pat thought about anything. Who was asking for that?

It seems like it's whoever has the most money behind them or goes viral, but I wonder if people listen. I hear about Draymond, Cam and the Kelce brothers, but I never wondered what any of them thought about something. They're probably recycling the same guest.

Once they get through their stories, what else do they have? It's only so much time during the day, and I don't have time for all these new pods. I at least see someone like Jeff Teague being funny. Gilbert is Gilbert.

I think that's why Stephen Jackson is acting the way he does. Their space is getting crowded. That's why it's a good thing Shannon got beyond sports.

Dray podcast ain't going nowhere. I just checked, he got 57k subs and he been doing his show since that Celtics finals. Only time I hear anybody talk about Bev is when he mention Chris Paul. Cam Newton podcast is putting up good numbers. Paul George podcast is poppin.

Gotta have a personality. Unc and Ocho is a perfect combination, both are funny. Shannon is the "older wise" one. Ocho is nonstop jokes. They about sports then they can jump into different topics.

It's the NFL off-season and they getting more views than Joe in shorter time.

1710348220174.png

all the more reason to dismiss it then, no? it just struck me as disingenuous to respond talking about ‘pulling up’ especially if it was about his professional reputation of his show (lying about the invite, which the sensible thing to do would respond in kind, professionally) rather than his personal sexuality…

i respect bomani’s take, tho it seems to me podcast have long already reached the point of over saturation…it’s just that media can be just as personality driven as anything else so the allure of certain people crossing over (😮‍💨😏) into that space might be enough to overcome the concerns

who knew jeff teague was funny tho? ultimately how this podcast thing works, especially as the investment & barrier to entry is relatively low, one could have a modest loyal following & do well…consistency & obtaining that loyalty are the main hurdles

jack could be genuinely salty about unc’s success, but it could just be the legit principle of the matter of shannon getting tough w/a comedian over jokes that shannon himself claimed were benign

Podcast allow these dudes not to be politically correct. And I love it. I don’t care who covers what. Whether athlete or journalist. If I don’t rock with you, I won’t tune in anyway.

I’ve never really cared for Bomani Jones anyway. He’s still allowed to speak his peace though.

Find who you like and keep it going.

For instance. Theo Pinson’s podcast and Paul George’s podcast. I like how those dudes have interviews. They let people speak, they interject when need be, and also sprinkle humor. As well as Teague’s joint. All 3 solid hosts

It’s all about preference

Back
Top Bottom