The Corporate color?

phen0m

Banned
So I work at the corporate headquarters of a very large, well known company.  Recently, we've been going through a bit of a flux, in which employees have been moving every which way, and this happened to intersect with a project that was announced and developed, of which I was asked to assist on by my boss(i'm usually in the tech dept.,  but my skillsset matched what they needed in a pinch, I suppose). 

For the past two weeks, myself and one other person have essentially implemented and perfected this huge undertaking(affects 100k employees) with a team of two, plus a few temps who came aboard this week.  The project was completed Monday, launched Tuesday, and from Tues- today, myself and the other associate have received nothing but kudos and ultimately, were asked to interview(by our GM) for this newly created position that was going to open up(previously unbeknownst to me). 

So I decide why not.  Today I interview, received the backing of noless than 20 of my constituents, and thought it went well.  However at meetings end, our CEO essentially pulled me to the side, and told me that he felt I wouldnt be a sound fit due to my lacking of a collegiate degree(never finished).  To paraphrase.. "If we are in a meeting with other powerbrokers, and the conversation turns to banter, what happens when its asked where you matriculated?  (To which there was no answer, as it was conveyed as a hypothetical). 

To those who chose to read through my spiel, I ask.. was this an education decision, or something else entirely?  I hate to be so black and white, as i'm generally not wired that way, but i've performed well in my main duties for 2 years, I performed exceptionally well in this recent impromptu ad hoc role.  I'm articulate and educated, even though im not "Educated". 

Essentially..i'm just kinda bummed I guess.  Speak on it. 

So I work at the corporate headquarters of a very large, well known company.  Recently, we've been going through a bit of a flux, in which employees have been moving every which way, and this happened to intersect with a project that was announced and developed, of which I was asked to assist on by my boss(i'm usually in the tech dept.,  but my skillsset matched what they needed in a pinch, I suppose). 

For the past two weeks, myself and one other person have essentially implemented and perfected this huge undertaking(affects 100k employees) with a team of two, plus a few temps who came aboard this week.  The project was completed Monday, launched Tuesday, and from Tues- today, myself and the other associate have received nothing but kudos and ultimately, were asked to interview(by our GM) for this newly created position that was going to open up(previously unbeknownst to me). 

So I decide why not.  Today I interview, received the backing of noless than 20 of my constituents, and thought it went well.  However at meetings end, our CEO essentially pulled me to the side, and told me that he felt I wouldnt be a sound fit due to my lacking of a collegiate degree(never finished).  To paraphrase.. "If we are in a meeting with other powerbrokers, and the conversation turns to banter, what happens when its asked where you matriculated?  (To which there was no answer, as it was conveyed as a hypothetical). 

To those who chose to read through my spiel, I ask.. was this an education decision, or something else entirely?  I hate to be so black and white, as i'm generally not wired that way, but i've performed well in my main duties for 2 years, I performed exceptionally well in this recent impromptu ad hoc role.  I'm articulate and educated, even though im not "Educated". 

Essentially..i'm just kinda bummed I guess.  Speak on it. 

Not surprised man.  Trust me even if you had a degree they would find another excuse.  Don't let it get you down though

On another note...try to go back to school and get that paper so they can't hold you back.  It's 2011 and a degree is kinda like the norm.

Not surprised man.  Trust me even if you had a degree they would find another excuse.  Don't let it get you down though

On another note...try to go back to school and get that paper so they can't hold you back.  It's 2011 and a degree is kinda like the norm.

It's a degree issue.

It would be hard to fight in court; however, that might be discrimination based off the precedence of Rosa Parks.

It's a degree issue.

It would be hard to fight in court; however, that might be discrimination based off the precedence of Rosa Parks.

this is a different america we live in
the people on top dont wanna see the people at the bottom make it
happens in school, the work place, social events ect
this is why we have no innovation in this country

this is a different america we live in
the people on top dont wanna see the people at the bottom make it
happens in school, the work place, social events ect
this is why we have no innovation in this country

This is your opportunity to come up with an answer for that question that explains why you haven't finished and then get yourself back in school so you can say that you are working on finishing your degree now. Even if you end up taking one class a semester, everyone can respect someone who is working and finishing school and you will feel better about what you have to offer.

This is your opportunity to come up with an answer for that question that explains why you haven't finished and then get yourself back in school so you can say that you are working on finishing your degree now. Even if you end up taking one class a semester, everyone can respect someone who is working and finishing school and you will feel better about what you have to offer.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

It's a degree issue.

Im not intent on suing them.  Just pontificating.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

It's a degree issue.

Im not intent on suing them.  Just pontificating.

Originally Posted by West2East

TruthGetsBusy wrote:

I agree with both of you.. got comfortable I supose.  It just sucks terribly to have great things happen unexpectedly.. then experience extreme disappointment due to my own failings. 

Sidebar..Conversation really is therapeutic.

My main thing is.. We are all birthed with varying capabilities and mental capacities.  Additionally, each of our strengths simply lie in different areas, so having a "degree" be the encompassing symbol of aptitude, could many times be a faulty practice?
  Obviously the world will continue to turn, but its just befuddling to me that some of the most intelligent people in the world, are those that are seemingly most resistant to change.

Originally Posted by West2East

TruthGetsBusy wrote:

I agree with both of you.. got comfortable I supose.  It just sucks terribly to have great things happen unexpectedly.. then experience extreme disappointment due to my own failings. 

Sidebar..Conversation really is therapeutic.

My main thing is.. We are all birthed with varying capabilities and mental capacities.  Additionally, each of our strengths simply lie in different areas, so having a "degree" be the encompassing symbol of aptitude, could many times be a faulty practice?
  Obviously the world will continue to turn, but its just befuddling to me that some of the most intelligent people in the world, are those that are seemingly most resistant to change.

dont try to make this into a "what if it's something entirely different" case...get a degree

dont try to make this into a "what if it's something entirely different" case...get a degree

Just go back to school, and finish up. I'm black, I've been promoted multiple times at multiple different corp jobs.

What seems stupid in your eyes is corporate protocol, even though finishing school would do nothing to go back and aid in the great project you just completed. It's dumb but you need that piece of paper to get ahead.

Just go back to school, and finish up. I'm black, I've been promoted multiple times at multiple different corp jobs.

What seems stupid in your eyes is corporate protocol, even though finishing school would do nothing to go back and aid in the great project you just completed. It's dumb but you need that piece of paper to get ahead.

Originally Posted by ToLiveandDieinNJ

As have I *without* one, moving forward generally on merit.  In *this* particular case however, I would be moving from Sys admin, to a Project Manager..ie being exposed to other high level execs.  I'm not calling shenanigans on the overall benefits of higher education, i'm just focused solely on my situation.  And not even entirely so.. really just venting to my community I supose.

Originally Posted by ToLiveandDieinNJ

As have I *without* one, moving forward generally on merit.  In *this* particular case however, I would be moving from Sys admin, to a Project Manager..ie being exposed to other high level execs.  I'm not calling shenanigans on the overall benefits of higher education, i'm just focused solely on my situation.  And not even entirely so.. really just venting to my community I supose.

Back
Top Bottom