The Hell With The Police VOL Know Your Rights

Sounds like some of you either live in major cities where cops deal with a lot of bull %#+$, some of you do bad/illegal things and expect not to get introuble, or some of you are at the wrong place at the wrong time.

personally, I think police officers, FOR THE MOST PART, are there to do one job, and that's to serve the public. I have had a few encounters with thepolice, but almost every time was for something I was doing that I probably shouldn't have been doing. Police officers have a very stressful job. Some ofyou might not know, but cops, whether they like it or not, are at the mercy of the department they work for. when the PD says something, they MUST adhere tothose specific instructions. I have known some officers to work 16-18 hours straight. I have seen officers work their regular 10, get to sleep in their car for3-4 hours, and then have to work another 8-10 hours. that's the life of an officer. Most are forced to work holidays, especially the major ones such asChristmas and Thanksgiving.

what does that mean? some of you might not care and say... "well they choose that profession and they put themselves in that situation." You'reabsolutely right. They do chose that line of work. but, wouldn't some of that make any of you pissed off? wouldn't that affect the way you treatedpeople sometimes?

people always think that police officers are out to get them. Maybe you SHOULDN'T be doing some of the things you're doing. Maybe you SHOULDN'T beat that party... whatever. Like I said, i have had my fair share of run ins w/ the law... and they all haven't turned out to be the best. but it was alwaysfor doing something I shouldn't have been doing or being somewhere I shouldn't have been.

Now before some of you think that my dad is a cop or that I've never been in trouble w/ the law, none of that is true. I have just been on both sides and Iknow better than to share the mentality you all have. ANY of you that think PO's are that bad, you should contact your local PD and arrange for a ridealong. They are always willing to make people aware of what they do. I guarantee that many of your perspectives will change.

not exactly wrong.
Yes it is wrong because probable cause or reasonable suspicion is NOT a warrant. I know everything that you mentioned, but none of that has to dowith a warrant. Plus i was making fun of these kids who say they know their rights when all they know is coming from rap music.

^ i didn't know you were referring to a warrant.
Yeh, no warrant is necessary to search a car.
laugh.gif

The best thing to do is to shut up if you're even in a any serious trouble. So many people incriminate themselves even further when they start talking.

Dirtylicious wrote:
Cops....the only population where it's ok to stereotype the whole on the basis of a few.

I hope you're being sarcastic?

Yeh, no warrant is necessary to search a car.
Are you sure you guys know what you're talking about? The way I learned it is that if they see something incriminating in your car then theyhave a reason to search it. BUT if they only pulled you over for something like speeding and you hide whatever you have on you in the glove compartment thenthey can't search your car unless they have a warrant. Check the constitution I believe it's the 4th amendment; Protection from unreasonable searchesand seizures.

^ Your mixing up what you heard. Warrants are not necessary to search cars during stops, only probable cause. If they pull you over for speeding and you dohide something incriminating in the glove compartment, and there is nothing left in plain view that gives the officer probable cause then no they cant searchit. But say you put a pistol in your glove compartment, but you happen to leave a round on the seat or the floor, then they can pull you out and searcheverywhere in your car until they are satisfied. I remember seeing a cops episode they stopped a car in a known drug dealing area, but pulled the car over fora tail light being out, they were just talking to him letting him know that the light was out, the guy didnt seem out of the norm,just said he was looking topick up his friend, it was just in a bad area, the other cop was looking into the car from the outside and saw pieces of Brillo on the seat, that gave themprobable cause to search, and what do they find? All sorts of contraband, dude went off to jail. As they arrested him he admitted there was no friend, he wasjust looking for drugs.

Yes the 4th Amendment is about unreasonable or illegal search and seizures, but there are some exceptions to it, read about vehicle exceptions, it explains itall.

Back
Top Bottom