laugh.gif

Lenny Cooke

Charlie Villanueva

Sebastian Telfair

Chris Taft

Gary Ervin

Russell Robinson

Juan Palacios

I need to watch this documentary when I get home.

Before moving to NJ, Lenny Cooke played at Franklin K. Lane High School in Queens NY. I remember hearing about him when I was in HS, around the same time guys like Charlie Villanueva and Smush Parker came out.

That ABCD game against Lebron was the beginning of the end of Lenny.
How was Smush in HS? Did he even play in HS? I heard he got his name from playing down West 4th

Smush was had serious game back in the day. He played at Newton in Queens, if i remember correctly. But yeah, he made his name at West 4th and Rucker.

How was Smush in HS? Did he even play in HS? I heard he got his name from playing down West 4th

Smush played in Newtown HS with Charlie Villanueva. I grew up a few blocks away from that HS and was supposed to go there. Ended up going to another High School close to where Ron Artest used to live.

Smush played in Newtown HS with Charlie Villanueva. I grew up a few blocks away from that HS and was supposed to go there. Ended up going to another High School close to where Ron Artest used to live.

Played against Charlie when him and Deng went to Blair Academy in NJ. Granted we were stacked too but it felt like we were playing against a created team on a video game :lol:

BTW, anyone got a link for me?

It's on Showtime Demand.

Last edited:
If Lenny had stayed with that family from Jersey, would things have turned out any differently? Lady was getting choked up when interviewed on the doc. She really cared for him...I think.

To me, it's amazing that he can sit there and watch pro basketball. I seriously wonder about depression. The story really sucks, but you just hope that it doesn't get any worse for him. You just hope that he doesn't do anything to hurt himself down the road.

That whole era of NYC ballers turned out to be complete **** :lol:

Lenny Cooke

Charlie Villanueva

Sebastian Telfair

Chris Taft

Gary Ervin

Russell Robinson

Juan Palacios

Man, this is almost another topic on it's own...

Omar Cook, Andre Barrett, etc.

Last "star" player to come out of NYC and actually make a name for himself in the pros was Ron Artest. Lance is taking the baton...but for a city that's so rich w/ b-ball talent, it's crazy how they haven't turned out better NBA talent.

Last edited:
If Lenny had stayed with that family from Jersey, would things have turned out any differently? Lady was getting choked up when interviewed on the doc. She really cared for him...I think.

To me, it's amazing that he can sit there and watch pro basketball. I seriously wonder about depression. The story really sucks, but you just hope that it doesn't get any worse for him. You just hope that he doesn't do anything to hurt himself down the road.

Which is why I said he needs to be involved in basketball. Whether it's some type of mentor for kids who want to leave college early or some type of assistant coach in the NBA, he needs to be around that environment in order for him to move on from the late 90s early 2000s.

And I do think if he would've stayed with Debbie or even went to a prep/JUCO for a year instead of going out to MI things would've turned out differently.

Played against Charlie when him and Deng went to Blair Academy in NJ. Granted we stacked too but it felt like we were playing against a created team on a video game :lol:

BTW, anyone got a link for me?

It's on Showtime Demand.

lol at a created team.

i need to do some internet searching about HS talent here in Detroit to catch a game.

Last "star" player to come out of NYC and actually make a name for himself in the pros was Ron Artest. Lance is taking the baton...but for a city that's so rich w/ b-ball talent, it's crazy how they haven't turned out better NBA talent.
imo it always seemed like the guys with the most talent had the most real world distractions. 

Andre barrett used to ball out at seton hall but u knew he didn't have a pro game

Yea Andre Barrett had cups of coffee in the NBA. I don't think anyone expected much from him PRO Wise.

Back then, the NY hype train was in overdrive, when it was considered the mecca of high school hoops and point guards in particular.

I enjoyed the early footage, I wish they would've went into detail about his car accident and why teams didn't take him. From watching the draft that year Im surprised he didn't get picked up in the 2nd round. The ending was tough to watch, its hard to believe that skinny kid would end up like that.

That whole era of NYC ballers turned out to be complete **** :lol:

Lenny Cooke

Charlie Villanueva

Sebastian Telfair

Chris Taft

Gary Ervin

Russell Robinson

Juan Palacios

"I'm trying to get money like Felipe Lopez"-JuJu of The Beatnuts on "Get Funky".

:lol:

NY has a lot of dud's.

Can someone explain to me how Lenny's guardian had him on private jets and such before he was even being recruited heavy? Also it seemed like she was getting a lot of money. Suddenly when he leaves her it all goes downhill. Couple people I know mentioned that when they saw it as well and after she was choking up and explained his fate.

Back
Top Bottom