The Lenny Cooke Documentary airs TODAY on Showtime

Omar Cook and Barrett werent gonna do anything in the Pros. Omar made his hype at the Gauchos.

Omar was a classic pass-first PG with AMAZING vision. If he had stayed one more year at St. John's, I have no doubt that he would have been a first round pick. He had too many people in his ear telling him he was better than what he was.

There is nothing more over-hyped than a NYC PG.

Carl Krauser
Omar Cook
Andre Barrett
Talik Brown
Sebastian Telfair
Kenny Satterfield
etc etc...

Omar was a classic pass-first PG with AMAZING vision. If he had stayed one more year at St. John's, I have no doubt that he would have been a first round pick. He had too many people in his ear telling him he was better than what he was.

There is nothing more over-hyped than a NYC PG.

Carl Krauser
Omar Cook
Andre Barrett
Talik Brown
Sebastian Telfair
Kenny Satterfield
etc etc...
How was Sebastian overhyped? Because he didn't pan out in the NBA? He broke all the city records and earned every ounce of praise he got nationally.

I watched it again and damn I feel bad for him. He didn't seem like a bad kid/person, just misguided. The ending with him just dribbling was a great shot imo.

The scene where he calls melo over to talk to him puts a lot into perspective. Melo was focusing on the game and ready to get back in while lenny was talking about going out. It appeared that basketball came too easy for him and he didn't care about working on his game.

on a side note I miss the early 2000's :lol:

The scene where he calls melo over to talk to him puts a lot into perspective. Melo was focusing on the game and ready to get back in while lenny was talking about going out. It appeared that basketball came too easy for him and he didn't care about working on his game.
laugh.gif

Melo's team had just got done playing. He just wanted to get away from Lenny.

Last edited:

How was Sebastian overhyped? Because he didn't pan out in the NBA? 
Uhh yes.

He was the first PG (along w/ Livingston) to go straight to the league. He was the most publicized player of the decade behind Lebron James. What does his HS resume have to do with being overhyped for the NBA?

Uhh yes.

He was the first PG (along w/ Livingston) to go straight to the league. He was the most publicized player of the decade behind Lebron James. What does his HS resume have to do with being overhyped for the NBA?
Ok basketball guru.

:lol:

Melo's team had just got done playing. He just wanted to get away from Lenny.

:rofl: I got that vibe too and it looked like Lenny was trying to size him up

Telfair was supposed to go to Louisville right? He wanted to cash out instead and help his family out. i ain't mad at him.

I see both sides.

A. Since he was drafted out of HS, the hype was there.

B. His draft position makes me want to say that he wasn't expected to be great.

I can see both arguments.

lol at a created team.

i need to do some internet searching about HS talent here in Detroit to catch a game.
We get a few every year and they never pan out smh. U couldn't tell any of us when we were in high school that manny harris wasn't going to the L. He is literally the best player I ever seen play in high school. Dion harris, CDR, jordan crawford, Joe and malik, Desha n Sims smh too many. Last year ole boy from kentucky, James young was beating at Rochester high I think

I see both sides.

A. Since he was drafted out of HS, the hype was there.

B. His draft position makes me want to say that he wasn't expected to be great.

I can see both arguments.
He was a lottery pick.

Was Kobe not expected to be great too?

Bassy lucky as hell the Blazers stepped up and drafted him or else he would've dropped like a rock in the draft. That adidas reach was/is real.

Since when was Sebastian Telfair not extremely hyped? 
laugh.gif
 Just because you play well in high school doesn't mean you deserve NBA hype. 

A really well produced documentary but it was really sad. I cant imagine how much regret this guy wakes up with every day knowing that if he took the game seriously and worked hard he could have been a superstar in the NBA.

Anyone know why he didn't get drafted in the 2002 draft though?

HSers on the cover of SI that I can think of off-hand...

Shea Cotton
KG
Lebron
Sebastian Telfair

Even tho 3/4 made it to the L, two of them never lived up to the expectations put on their shoulders. Telfair was extremely over-hyped.

Last edited:
:lol: He got drafted out of high school as a 5'10 PG. ESPN gave him a documentary. SI, Slam covers. Were they doing this to because they thought he was going to be a journeyman?

Back
Top Bottom