The Mecca in Decline: Why doesn’t New York City produce elite NBA talent like it used to? (article)

Basketball just isn't a priority anymore for NYC. As AMP said, there are other options for kids now.

It's really that simple, to be frank.
that too. weather is not THE reason, but a reason. among others. OP and others i feel are trying to prescribe it to some talent, selfishness, or some other defienceincy when it's really just a bunch of small factors why you don't feel nyc produces elite talent anymore. when in reality, the game, like hip-hop has spread nationwide. people ask why USA fell off in terms of being a major world economic player like USA is corny, but in reality, there's just more countries that have learned and now can compete. 

Has USA bball fell off or are other country just better now (and learned from us)?

laugh.gif
mean.gif

NYC got no players so now dudes claim their NYC style.

Never change.
look at the list i posted off top of my head and say nyc has no players. NYC dudes didn't make this thread- the question was asked and theories were given. if yall just need (another) bash NYC thread, I can gladly step out, cause NYC dudes dont stress other states, regions like others seem to stress nyc. At all.

You can't claim weather as a reason when you have MANY other areas in the mid-atlantic, northeast, and mid-west that deal with the same ****....THAT'S the point. Now, are there other factors like space and interest? Sure. However, I will not buy weather as an excuse as to why there is a drop-off in basketball talent coming out of NYC.

:lol: :smh:

NYC got no players so now dudes claim their NYC style.

Never change.
look at the list i posted off top of my head and say nyc has no players. NYC dudes didn't make this thread- the question was asked and theories were given. if yall just need (another) bash NYC thread, I can gladly step out, cause NYC dudes dont stress other states, regions like others seem to stress nyc. At all.

But yet you claimed D.Wade and Derrick Rose had NYC type of games tho...

You can't claim weather as a reason when you have MANY other areas in the mid-atlantic, northeast, and mid-west that deal with the same ****....THAT'S the point. Now, are there other factors like space and interest? Sure. However, I will not buy weather as an excuse as to why there is a drop-off in basketball talent coming out of NYC.
i'm not asking you to buy it - it just is. accept it as one of multiple factors or dont. nj players (same region) were listed and the list wasn't all that impressive compared to the nyc list i produced. so i would say that the REGION as a whole, suffers from the weather issue.
But yet you claimed D.Wade and Derrick Rose had NYC type of games tho...
i didn't stress either player, i said they have games that fit right in with the nyc game. didn't know i was jocking chicago 
ohwell.gif

Here's some more input on my end.

Here is a list of the top ranked NYC players of 2014 and where they've committed to go to school:

1. Isiah Whitehead : Seton Hall
2. Khadeen Carrington: Seton Hall
3. Desi Rodriguez: Seton Hall
4. Mike Williams: Rutgers
5. Adonis Dela Rosa: St. Johns
6. Shavar Newkirk: St. Joseph's
7. Will Bathurst: Non-committed
8. C.J. Davis: Columbia
9. Mustafa Jones: Central Connecticut State
10. Aaren Edmead: Wagner

Now, if this was the 90's and the Big East still existed then maybe this would mean something. Not one player in the top 10 is going to a "powerhouse" school to play. Very telling of where the state of NYC basketball is going.

If it wasn't for NYC...dudes like Wade and Rose would be dribbling in circles like them Bob Cousy ****** in the 50s

Here's some more input on my end.

Here is a list of the top ranked NYC players of 2014 and where they've committed to go to school:

1. Isiah Whitehead : Seton Hall
2. Khadeen Carrington: Seton Hall
3. Desi Rodriguez: Seton Hall
4. Mike Williams: Rutgers
5. Adonis Dela Rosa: St. Johns
6. Shavar Newkirk: St. Joseph's
7. Will Bathurst: Non-committed
8. C.J. Davis: Columbia
9. Mustafa Jones: Central Connecticut State
10. Aaren Edmead: Wagner

Now, if this was the 90's and the Big East still existed then maybe this would mean something. Not one player in the top 10 is going to a "powerhouse" school to play. Very telling of where the state of NYC basketball is going.
i see the opposite. the reason why powerhouses like st. johns fell off was because the top nyc players left for the ACC and midwest schools. i remember being hyped becasue st. johns was on lenny cooke's short list along with UNC. Hodge was deciding between Syracuse and NC State. kemba went to Uconn. if some of the top players stayed in state, it would send a powerful message.

Saying rose and wade have a NYC game is disrespectful to everything that is Chicago.

anyone that knows nyc guard play know that both player's strength's are nyc guard hallmarks. i don't see how it's disrespectful. bball for a long time was the nyc game by a mile. is it that surprising that is got adopted and tweaked in other places? the same thing goes with hip hop. the game has spread.

it's odd to me that the thread asks the question, "what happened to nyc ballers" then when someone offers some theories, it's immediately shot down. i guess the real purpose is to draw the conclusion that nyc just "fell off" "got lazy" "got cocky" "is just overrated in every aspect". if that's the conclusion you need to draw to get your regional pride, then go for it. but i don't believe that nyc players just magically got lazy or stopped caring. the game spread out and some natural advantages of other areas started to play a big role in development. nyc had the game for a long time and therefore had a big head start. with that said, there is still elite talent coming out of the city.

It's disrespectful because Chicago has been putting out elite talent for decades. It's the NYC bias that makes you think Rose plays like New Yorker when a lot of his game resembles a Chicago legend in Isaiah Thomas. After Isaiah Thomas there was tim hardaway.

In the last 7 years, Chicago had top talent in Rose, Davis, and Jabari. I'm not even a chi town dude but let's not act like y'all invented the scoring guard.

If it wasn't for NYC...dudes like Wade and Rose would be dribbling in circles like them Bob Cousy ****** in the 50s
nah let em think, they just play that way out of nowhere 
laugh.gif
. and1 tapes birthed so many of ya favorite players but you wanna act like these other states doing something new.
Weather is a weak point. The better players are all playing indoors in organized leagues.
you can call it weak, but it is a point. no more no less. it's a viable than the lazy argument that nyc just stopped being talented and everyone else just got super talented. 
mean.gif

the number of nyc bodegas have decreased == no more refined sugar products like quarter waters which get into the bloodstream quicker than them kombucha drinks they sell nowadays in all the gourmet delis

It's disrespectful because Chicago has been putting out elite talent for decades. It's the NYC bias that makes you think Rose plays like New Yorker when a lot of his game resembles a Chicago legend in Isaiah Thomas. After Isaiah Thomas there was tim hardaway.

In the last 7 years, Chicago had top talent in Rose, Davis, and Jabari. I'm not even a chi town dude but let's not act like y'all invented the scoring guard.
chicago ball players are nasty. no question about it at all. i don't need to slight others to prove a point. 
Dudes blaming weather but NJ is cookin?

Wut?
but if nyc players play in yall leagues, how much better is nj cooking. also, there is no doubt nj is producing talent, but then lets look at the top end (nba). are yall producing any more mid to elite players that nyc? 

Bash NY thread in disguise :smh:

First hip hop, now basketball , I expect to see a thread about our water falling of before the year is out :lol:

Pmatic that was foul too bruh you went straight for the jugular.

Bash NY thread in disguise
mean.gif

First hip hop, now basketball , I expect to see a thread about our water falling of before the year is out
laugh.gif

just now reading the article, and it cites everything mentioned here. weather, top players going to schools elsewhere, players from other places being able to view our game without leaving home. yet the thread was still made and without offering any legit theory why nyc "fell off" 
mean.gif

The weather has to be the poorest excuse ever. We got Canadians in the league now.

Is there an NYC dude out there that can admit basketball and hip hop have fallen off? Are y'all that prideful?

The weather has to be the poorest excuse ever. We got Canadians in the league now.

Is there an NYC dude out there that can admit basketball and hip hop have fallen off? Are y'all that prideful?
we got nyc players in the league as well. dudes acting like nyc doesn't exist in the league anymore. 
laugh.gif

and once again, what elite canada talent is there in the league?

bball and hip hop have similar fates. once-nyc dominated and spread around the world. do you think USA basketball as a whole has fallen off because the spain's and argentina's of the world give us more trouble now. or is it that everyone knows the game now? 

Bash NY thread in disguise :smh:

First hip hop, now basketball , I expect to see a thread about our water falling of before the year is out :lol:

just now reading the article, and it cites everything mentioned here. weather, top players going to schools elsewhere, players from other places being able to view our game without leaving home. yet the thread was still made and without offering any legit theory why nyc "fell off" :smh:

What are you talking about? Thread edit was made to discuss the article. Which we're doing.

we got nyc players in the league as well. dudes acting like nyc doesn't exist in the league anymore. :lol:

and once again, what elite canada talent is there in the league?

bball and hip hop have similar fates. once-nyc dominated and spread around the world. do you think USA basketball as a whole has fallen off because the spain's and argentina's of the world give us more trouble now. or is it that everyone knows the game now? 

more 1st round draft picks in the last 5 years have been from Canada than NY. It's not even close.

And when did NYC ever dominate? Kareem? This is where you're killing me. Y'all didn't invent basketball. Basketball has always been bigger than NY and always will be.

Nobody said it didn't so just stop please, just funny how these threads about NYC falling off comes in all forms.

Oh yeah our streets have fallen off too, potholes everywhere :smh:....somebody please help us :x

more 1st round draft picks in the last 5 years have been from Canada than NY. It's not even close.

And when did NYC ever dominate? Kareem? This is where you're killing me. Y'all didn't invent basketball. Basketball has always been bigger than NY and always will be.
in terms of hs domination. kareem or kenny anderson the best to ever do it so why would i or anyone run away from that

canada has 1st round picks, but what tangible stars do you have? because nyc is producing hs talent as well, maybe not in nyc but these are nyc players

no one is dominating now, save for texas. the talent is spread out, which seems fairly natural to me. of course basketball is bigger than nyc, so is hip hop. we just are the place that made it shine, there's zero debate about that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom