The Most And Least Educated Cities In America - Forbes

I dont understand the relevance of this
It's basically the super boonies. Like central CA.

educational credentials =/= intelligence 
Agreed. There is educated and learned. Educated just means you went to pursue higher education. Learned means you're an actual intelligent person. Some of the folks I know that graduated from high ranking schools are dummies in real life. Wouldn't be surprised if they paid their way. Conversely some of the self made successful people I know who are drop outs can hold brilliant conversations. Self learned in all aspects.

You're right.

It's >>> than intelligence.

You were born with one, and you accomplished the other through hard work and sacrifice. Depending on the degree of course.
there are plenty of (arguably better) ways to learn useful life skills and get ahead that dont involve educational credentials

not all people who choose not to get a degree do so because they are lazy 

You're right.

You were born with one, and you accomplished the other through hard work and sacrifice. Depending on the degree of course.
there are plenty of (arguably better) ways to learn useful life skills and get ahead that dont involve educational credentials

Nobody mentioned the word lazy.

You're not going to compare an engineering, law, medical degree to someone reading Google articles.

Arguably better? What's an arguably better way to learn medicine, other than attaining a medical degree and going through residency?

What's an arguably better way for someone to learn how to design structures that are meant resist all sorts of dead and live loads, other than attaining an engineering degree and gaining the years of experience and passing all the exams needed to become a PE? And who is going to take any of these people seriously, whom haven't gone through formal education?

Now if you're talking about not needing an education to become wealthy, that's a completely different story. Take drug lords for an example.
when you say the reason education is better is because educated people are accomplished through hard work and sacrifice that implies that the other side does not share those traits, or you wouldnt be using them to differentiate the two groups. i hope they taught you logic while you were getting that overpriced degree

sitting in lecture halls listening to some dude talk for 2-3 straight hours is never going to be the best place to learn about anything, sadly it's how current educational structure is built. exams are not the best way to test actual ability, but it's what is used because it's easy and educational institutions dont like change.

education is about that piece of paper you get at the end of your 4 years, not what you actually learn. college students for the most part dont care about what they are learning as long as they get a nice degree at the end of their stay. this is why students care more about if the prof is an easy grader rather than if the information learned in class will actually be useful later on in life.

at the end of the day a degree is just proof that you know something. there are plenty of other ways to show that you are able to do things without a degree, in fact more and more people are realizing this and opting to go to trade schools or teach themselves technical skills, building portfolios of their work as they go as proof for their abilities. all while saving a bunch of money along the way

if we ignore the degree and just focus on the actual learning, why would I pay money to sit in a college classroom listening to some guy giving a lecture when I can be in the comfort of my house watching a harvard professor teach me the same content for free? why would i want to sit in a classroom learning about engineering theories when i can use that money to buy tools and materials to work on a project that actually put these theories to practical use, learning a lot on the way?

seeing that the one example you brought up of success without a degree is a drug dealer, clearly you dont think too highly of people without degrees. judging by your poor arguments, i can see why you value education over being intelligent 

DMV consistently flourishes in every aspect of life, except public transportation. But everyone drives so it isn't a huge problem.

Shocked at Maryland being included though. It's a terrible state.

why is maryland a terrible state lol

Also what a degree does is validate you as a person that can and will do work and accomplish the task that are given. It's not always just about the knowledge that you possess in the classes because there are plenty of jobs that you learn on the way that you'd never learn in school.

But success and education is really two different things. There is a lot of dumb people that make paper and a lot of smart people that don't make a penny. There is just to many variables to it where there is no clear cut answer such as school = success.

You're so misinformed it's amusing.

I personally went to school to learn. Getting a full-time engineering position 2 weeks post-graduation and having had 2 years of prior internship experience was just a plus.

I'm in grad school now getting my MS in civil engineering. Even if it doesn't pay me a penny more, I absolutely love what I'm learning. Every single night I'm in school not just sitting through lectures, but performing in labs and completing term projects. I graduated Cum Laude in a very challenging undergrad degree. Seeing as you actually have to understand advanced mathematical logic, and scientific laws, concepts, etc.

I would consider that at least a little intelligent, wouldn't you?

Don't generalize.

This is where the occupation warrants a degree. Things like the medical field or engineering is just something you have to learn and be educated by from schools. It would be almost impossible to just teach yourself how to do these things. That is where education is crucial to the success of that profession.

we have the best weather out here in the west coast, too good to be learning. 

Also what a degree does is validate you as a person that can and will do work and accomplish the task that are given. It's not always just about the knowledge that you possess in the classes because there are plenty of jobs that you learn on the way that you'd never learn in school.
Totally agree with this in regards to undergrad degrees.

You're right.

Nobody mentioned the word lazy.

You're not going to compare an engineering, law, medical degree to someone reading Google articles.

Arguably better? What's an arguably better way to learn medicine, other than attaining a medical degree and going through residency?

What's an arguably better way for someone to learn how to design structures that are meant resist all sorts of dead and live loads, other than attaining an engineering degree and gaining the years of experience and passing all the exams needed to become a PE? And who is going to take any of these people seriously, whom haven't gone through formal education?

Now if you're talking about not needing an education to become wealthy, that's a completely different story. Take drug lords for an example.
when you say the reason education is better is because educated people are accomplished through hard work and sacrifice that implies that the other side does not share those traits, or you wouldnt be using them to differentiate the two groups. i hope they taught you logic while you were getting that overpriced degree

sitting in lecture halls listening to some dude talk for 2-3 straight hours is never going to be the best place to learn about anything, sadly it's how current educational structure is built. exams are not the best way to test actual ability, but it's what is used because it's easy and educational institutions dont like change.

education is about that piece of paper you get at the end of your 4 years, not what you actually learn. college students for the most part dont care about what they are learning as long as they get a nice degree at the end of their stay. this is why students care more about if the prof is an easy grader rather than if the information learned in class will actually be useful later on in life.

at the end of the day a degree is just proof that you know something. there are plenty of other ways to show that you are able to do things without a degree, in fact more and more people are realizing this and opting to go to trade schools or teach themselves technical skills, building portfolios of their work as they go as proof for their abilities. all while saving a bunch of money along the way

if we ignore the degree and just focus on the actual learning, why would I pay money to sit in a college classroom listening to some guy giving a lecture when I can be in the comfort of my house watching a harvard professor teach me the same content for free? why would i want to sit in a classroom learning about engineering theories when i can use that money to buy tools and materials to work on a project that actually put these theories to practical use, learning a lot on the way?

seeing that the one example you brought up of success without a degree is a drug dealer, clearly you dont think too highly of people without degrees. judging by your poor arguments, i can see why you value education over being intelligent 
You're so misinformed it's amusing.

I personally went to school to learn. Getting a full-time engineering position 2 weeks post-graduation and having had 2 years of prior internship experience was just a plus.

I'm in grad school now getting my MS in civil engineering. Even if it doesn't pay me a penny more, I absolutely love what I'm learning. Every single night I'm in school not just sitting through lectures, but performing in labs and completing term projects. I graduated Cum Laude in a very challenging undergrad degree. Seeing as you actually have to understand advanced mathematical logic, and scientific laws, concepts, etc.

I would consider that at least a little intelligent, wouldn't you?

Don't generalize.
good for you. current educational structure works for some people and there is nothing wrong with that. not sure why you are so defensive 

i would think a (insert your academic credentials here) would be able to grasp the concept that the two are not mutually exclusive. there are plenty of smart people with degrees, there are plenty without. 

personally i find college to be a waste of time (this does not mean it is a waste of time for everyone). i have learned a lot more and a lot faster teaching my self than I have ever in an university class and it has lead to a job i would not have been able to get if i just mindlessly went through school.

and to be fair engineering and med are, in my opinion, two of the very few majors that are not a complete waste of time and money

it's great that people have obtained what they view as success through formal education. just get out of here with that elitist attitude that anyone with a degree > someone without one.

btw, spending all that extra money while not caring about getting paid more just doesnt make any financial sense. I have found that engineers tend to be some of the worst at getting compensated fairly for their work.

MD 
pimp.gif

Bakersfeild take that L

west coast/ Cali <<

It doesn't make financial sense to someone that doesn't value school as much as I do.

And my employer is paying for half of my tuition, but that's besides the point.

I've never said people with degrees are >>. I simply responded to your post, and your insecurities led you to believe I was calling people lazy, are <<<, and me being an elitist?You specifically came in here to make an ignorant statement, and are asking people why are they defensive?
Wut?
you either heavily implied or directly said these things

"It's >>> than intelligence.

You were born with one, and you accomplished the other through hard work and sacrifice. Depending on the degree of course."

i understand you are not the best at creating an argument but no need to be a coward and backtrack on what you said. that's just sad

seattle stand up! #6... running through the 6 wit my woes...

PNW. and i believe we are #1 city to live in a year or so back too. 

It doesn't make financial sense to someone that doesn't value school as much as I do.

And my employer is paying for half of my tuition, but that's besides the point.

I've never said people with degrees are >>. I simply responded to your post, and your insecurities led you to believe I was calling people lazy, are <<<, and me being an elitist?You specifically came in here to make an ignorant statement, and are asking people why are they defensive?

Wut?
you either heavily implied or directly said these things

"It's >>> than intelligence.

You were born with one, and you accomplished the other through hard work and sacrifice. Depending on the degree of course."

i understand you are not the best at creating an argument but no need to be a coward and backtrack on what you said. that's just sad
And what was it that I was replying to?

For your post, my post stands. It's >>>>>
This is a fact.
there we go! finally you man up and stand by your ideals rather than pretending you didnt say what you said

although you still need to work on your logical inconsistencies, talking about generalisations while saying education is always more important is a fact. but we can cover that next class

Central California is the worst. 99% of it is ugly,overweight, and illiterate Southeast Asian and Mexican HS dropouts with multiple kids, bad hygeine, and laughable English skills despite being born and raised here.I HATED visiting my two friends that lived there (they live in the Bay Area now). Just a region full of "gave up on life"

I have found that engineers tend to be some of the worst at getting compensated fairly for their work.
This is mainly due to people not knowing their worth, and just settling IMO.

If you are being paid under the average salary for your area, that is a problem.

Last edited:
Central California is the worst. 99% of it is ugly,overweight, and illiterate Southeast Asian and Mexican HS dropouts with multiple kids, bad hygeine, and laughable English skills despite being born and raised here.I HATED visiting my two friends that lived there (they live in the Bay Area now). Just a region full of "gave up on life"

WTF does that have to do with being less educated? you are an idiot!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom