The NBA Draft Thread

Top 20 you're scared to take jaylen brown? Lol who are the 19 others you're much more sold on

This class is weak

We've seen great NBA players have sucky tournaments and one and dones. Dude may not be a sure fire thing but neither are the rest of his peers

Me personally I wouldn't want to, it has nothing to do with the tournament, I expected that to happen. I had money on Hawaii.

He's a guy with a nice body/physical tools, his basketball IQ is really low, and that would be manageable if he were a big, but if he's supposed to be an NBA SF.

How many NBA successful perimeter guys are low IQ players?
How many successful low IQ players are also erratic shooters?

Josh Smith? I would argue Josh isn't a low IQ player, he just has a fatal flaw; shooting too much, but he was a great instinctual passer, defensive play maker.

JR Smith? I might classify him as a low IQ player, but he's a lights out shooter.

He really has no clue how to play basketball with any sort of sophistication and it's clear he's way too use to physically over powering over matched high school kids. The low IQ perimiter player is a rare NBA player.

My ultimate point is as an amateur draft **** talker, I can't really evaluate Jaylen Brown because the decision to draft him is going to come down to the interviews/pre draft process, how hard is he willing to work? Are you confident in your teams player development staff? Because he has a LONG way to go and a lot to learn.

He reminds me of Demar Derozan (Demar was better in college), more athlete than basketball player and I've seen how hard Demar is willing to work, by all accounts one of the hardest workers and highest character individuals the Raps have ever had. It was a slow process and only recently has it really paid off.

Is Jaylen Brown that type of worker? I have no clue, and without knowing that I would be scared to draft him top 20.

Last edited:
I would understand if you said top 10, sure. But being scared to take him in the first 20, you're really pushing it, especially being a weak class

A GM is not going to be fired for taking him outside of the top 5

I would understand if you said top 10, sure. But being scared to take him in the first 20, you're really pushing it, especially being a weak class

The point I'm trying to make is being a GM is god danm hard especially in this draft.

because I can imagine world where Jaylen Brown is the best player in this draft or not in the top 20 players in this draft.

Nothing about his play in college said NBA star player.
Nothing about the numbers he put up says NBA star player.
Nothing about his impact on winning for his team says NBA player.

The only thing that says NBA star about Jaylen Brown is 6'8 250 7 foot wingspan.

an NBA team is going to have to teach how to play basketball AND how to shoot. Tall order.

How many low IQ perimeter players have been taken in the top 10?

Ben Mclemore
Wes Johnson
Joe Alexander
Demar Derozan?

off the top my head. Not exactly a murders row. unless you can think of other low IQ guys who developed into stars.

If you take Jaylen Brown and he's Joe Alexander or Wes Johnson I think that gets you fired.

Last edited:
I don't like those comparisons though cause he is 19 and Wes Johnson/Joe Alexander were like 35 when they were drafted.

Rudy Gay is my comparison for him although even Rusy was a better shooter in college.

The point I'm making is that you don't have to exaggerate to argue that being an NBA GM isn't easy

In a world where Buddy, Bender, Dunn and Jamal Murray will be top 10 picks, Jaylen Brown is going to get drafted in that area. Outside of the top 2, it's a crap shoot. Nobody is labeled as a potential game changer outside of the top 2 so no GM should be thinking they have a sure star in Brown. Even if he's drafted at 3

Most services have Brown projected as a top 5 pick...He has an NBA body for sure, and could end up being a very good player down the line, but if he ends up being a complete bust, you're taking him over guys like Dunn/Murray/Hield/Poeltl...All dudes that have shown they can actually be effective and could have solid NBA careers...

Yup.

Being scared to take a former Mcd AA, Freshman of the year-player with all the physical tools.....in the top 20 of a weak draft is a foolish statement.

Most services have Brown projected as a top 5 pick...He has an NBA body for sure, and could end up being a very good player down the line, but if he ends up being a complete bust, you're taking him over guys like Dunn/Murray/Hield/Poeltl...All dudes that have shown they can actually be effective and could have solid NBA careers...
Completely down to Earth post. Again, why I said I could understand if Osh said he had reservations to take him top 10, but top 20 is just uncalled for lol

Completely down to Earth post. Again, why I said I could understand if Osh said he had reservations to take him top 10, but top 20 is just uncalled for lol
Personally, I would not take him in the lottery. May not be a ton of stars, but I think there are enough guys in this draft that I know could have some sort of impact on my team to justify taking Brown over them.

You guys are missing the nuance of what I'm saying. :lol:

He will be a high pick, im not saying he shouldn't be I'm just saying that me PERSONALLY would be afraid to take him that high without conducting interviews meeting with his past college/HS/AAU coaches to find out what kind of guy he is off the court.

because that the critical factor if you are going to draft on of these good body guys.

The point I'm making is that you don't have to exaggerate to argue that being an NBA GM isn't easy

In a world where Buddy, Bender, Dunn and Jamal Murray will be top 10 picks, Jaylen Brown is going to get drafted in that area. Outside of the top 2, it's a crap shoot. Nobody is labeled as a potential game changer outside of the top 2 so no GM should be thinking they have a sure star in Brown. Even if he's drafted at 3

1. How can I exaggerate my own opinion? It's my opinion, why would I exaggerate?
2. Its an exaggeration to say taking a guy in top 5 who is a complete bust will get you fired? Where is this new NBA you are watching? Put me on I would like to watch it was well.

Last edited:
I'm saying it's excessive to say you're hesitant to take him top 20. Especially being a weak draft class. No personal dig at you, just my opinion on your opinion

Let me put it like this, If you met Jaylen Brown's high school coaches, they told you he was a diva, not a hard worker. If you talked to his Cal coach and he questioned his effort level, and how much he cared about improving, you talk to the people at the hoop summit and they said he didn't take the week seriously at all, floated through practice, you talk to the team USA guys and they weren't impressed either.

Do you still draft him top 10?

Let me put it like this, If you met Jaylen Brown's high school coaches, they told you he was a diva, not a hard worker. If you talked to his Cal coach and he questioned his effort level, and how much he cared about improving, you talk to the people at the hoop summit and they said he didn't take the week seriously at all, floated through practice, you talk to the team USA guys and they weren't impressed either.

Do you still draft him top 10?

That's the draft process though man. That's what the interviews and research are for. A lot of people's draft stock would drop some if you did that research and came out with that.

But right now....we know none of that yet. And aren't at that point. We can just look at his physicals, stats, projections, competition etc.

For you to say you would be scared take him in the top 20 in a weak draft right now based on things that haven't even happened yet is pushing it.

I already said that I wouldn't scoff at not taking Brown top 10, I don't need a paragraph of hypotheticals for that

Last edited:
OKB always tries to be out there with his analysis and projections, just take it at face value.

Yeah I'm not trying to do anything. If everyone thought the same way there would be zero need for a draft thread.

I don't post unless I have an opinion that is actually different than the prevailing thought.

otherwise this whole thing would be a pointless echo chamber.

I'll be very interested to see where Marquese Chriss gets buzz if he declares. If this was 2002 he'd be going Top 10, now his traditional value/position is becoming obsolete.

Back
Top Bottom