The NBA Draft Thread

Many won't trade Rubio anytime soon. At least they won't actively trade him. I see two scenarios:
A team makes a decent offer for Rubio and manny will listen to offers
Dunn really picks it up his rookie year and they decide to make him the franchise point guard. The team will them actively trade him by the all star game or trade deadline,

I really do wish he somehow ends up with the Spurs.

I would try to package Rubio and Dieng for a high level player.

Paul Milsap would be perfect.

Last edited:
You're misremembering the careers of both guys.

They have a similar year to year progression.

nah

Dray didn't play alot early but per minute stats were awesome.

19 PER as a freshman.

25.6 PER as a sophmore

vs Denzel.

14 PER as freshman

15 PER as sophmore.

Also Draymond had a off the charts steal rate for a big in college, a huge predictor of NBA success.

nah

Dray didn't play alot early but per minute stats were awesome.

19 PER as a freshman.

25.6 PER as a sophmore

vs Denzel.

14 PER as freshman

15 PER as sophmore.

Also Draymond had a off the charts steal rate for a big in college, a huge predictor of NBA success.

Easy to have a higher PER when you don't shoot outside the paint and are primarily playing forward/center like Dray did his first two years.

It's heavily skewed towards fg% and rebounds, same reason why Enes Kanter had pretty much the same PER as Anthony Davis last year.

Denzel was more impressive as a senior coming into the draft than Draymond, higher PER, TS%, WS per 40 and BPM.

Last edited:
Easy to have a higher PER when you don't shoot outside the paint and are primarily playing forward/center like Dray did his first two years.

Denzel was more impressive as a senior, higher PER WS per 40 and BPM.

1. Unfortunately freshman statistical production is by far the most predictive of NBA sucess. Senoir year has very little predictive value.

2. a forward center, getting 3 assists per 40 pace adjusted with 2 steals is awesome not matter what metric you want to use.

Look I have zero clue if Denzel will be good, maybe, maybe not. I would guess yes, he looked food at the FIBA Pan Am games playing against men, like a better Danny Green type.

All I'm saying is that he's not the same level of prospect as Draymond.

1. Unfortunately freshman statistical production is by far the most predictive of NBA sucess. Senoir year has very little predictive value.

2. a forward center, getting 3 assists per 40 pace adjusted with 2 steals is awesome not matter what metric you want to use.

Look I have zero clue if Denzel will be good, maybe, maybe not. I would guess yes, he looked food at the FIBA Pan Am games playing against men, like a better Danny Green type.

All I'm saying is that he's not the same level of prospect as Draymond.

I'm not saying his assist or steal rate wasn't good but citing his PER and not seeing how it definitely isn't the best measurement for comparison because of how it is calculated is funny.

We'll see, I've already said my peice on Denzel and I'm ready to watch it play out.

There are a lot of other players to discuss.

Also, I see more Young Livingston in D. Murray than Jamal due to lack of shooting. Jamal has never been NOT been a streak shooter but Murray isn't there but shooting wise.

Exactly, he's not a two way center so he isn't that valuable.

Show me a good team that is relying on a post up scorer who doesn't protect the rim as their best player.
I think the comparison is

A. Bucket getter in the post

B. A probable, role player at best.

Yea Jahlil doesn't play D, but we don't even know of Denzel will be in the league in 6 years.

I don't think they are on the same level.

But we will see

Wolves' Tyus Jones named 2016 Summer League MVP

Tyus Jones of the Minnesota Timberwolves was named Most Valuable Player of the Samsung NBA Summer League 2016, while nine additional players highlight the Samsung All-NBA Summer League First and Second teams, as selected by a panel of media members.

The 11-day, 67-game event featured 23 NBA teams and the NBA D-League Select team and will culminate Monday night with the Championship game between the second-seeded Chicago Bulls and the 24th seeded Minnesota Timberwolves. The Championship game will air live on ESPN2 at 9 p.m. ET.

Jones led Minnesota to four consecutive wins during the tournament to advance to the Samsung NBA Summer League's Championship game after losing the opening three games in Las Vegas. In seven games in Las Vegas, Jones averaged 19.4 points on 45.7 percent shooting to go with 6.3 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 1.3 steals. On July 17, he scored 29 points on 9-for-17 shooting to go with six assists and three rebounds.

Joining Jones on the Samsung All-NBA Summer League 2016 First Team are Jordan McRae (Cleveland), Bobby Portis (Chicago), Ben Simmons (Philadelphia) and Alan Williams (Phoenix).

Jaylen Brown (Boston), Thon Maker (Milwaukee), Kelly Oubre Jr. (Washington), Normal Powell (Toronto) and Tyler Ulis (Phoenix) round out the Second Team.

Samsung NBA Summer League 2016 featured a tournament-style schedule for the fourth-consecutive summer, with the Golden State Warriors having won the inaugural championship in 2013, the Sacramento Kings being crowned champions in 2014, and the San Antonio Spurs taking home the title in 2015. Each of the participating teams played three games apiece between July 8 and 12 before being seeded in the tournament, which tipped off on July 13.
http://www.nba.com/2016/news/07/18/2016-all-summer-league-team/index.html?ls=iref:nba:specials

I think the comparison is

A. Bucket getter in the post

B. A probable, role player at best.

Yea Jahlil doesn't play D, but we don't even know of Denzel will be in the league in 6 years.

I don't think they are on the same level.

But we will see
I'd agree with this. I think Okafor is a similar player to Kanter. Neither will ever be a star due to lack of defense, but they are NBA starting caliber centers that can get you buckets pretty much at will. There will always be room in the league for them and both will have long careers.

With Valentine, his lack of athleticism as a wing player is what will keep him from being a star and will have him as more of a role player. His craftiness and high bball IQ will keep him in the league for a while though. There are a lot of guys in the league that have been able to keep themselves in NBA rotations simply because they don't do dumb stuff when they are out there...

Last edited:
I think you always have to use the caveat that Draymond was not much of a prospect/player until he dropped about 20lbs to get in the condition he is now. He'd be at the end of a bench if he had the same body he had at MSU.

I would try to package Rubio and Dieng for a high level player.

Paul Milsap would be perfect.

Except it would make no sense for ATL when they have both the PG and C positions filled (Schroeder and Howard)

Dieng/Rubio would be excellent backups but there's literally no reason ATL would trade their best player for players that would be backups on their team

Also, I see more Young Livingston in D. Murray than Jamal due to lack of shooting. Jamal has never been NOT been a streak shooter but Murray isn't there but shooting wise.
Crawford shot 33/101 from 3 his frosh year

Murray shot 34/118 from 3 his frosh year

Also had identical FG% and 2PA%

Not that far off shooting wise

Previous MVPs:

2012: Dame + Josh Selby Co-MVPs
2013: Valanciunas
2014: Glen Rice Jr
2015: Kyle Anderson
2016: Tyus Jones

Selby 
mean.gif