The Oakland Athletics 2013 Season Thread

I have been a huge critic of Billy in the past and have felt his philosophy doesn't work in the playoffs but I don't blame "moneyball" on this year at all. This team beat themselves in game 4, it had nothing to do with his philosophy. His philosophy isn't to strike out with the bases loaded and no outs or for the bullpen to explode in a clinching game....

He has put a very good team out there, they just don't deliver in clinching/elimination games like they should. And that is on the PLAYERS.

Anyways, I don't think I have ever been this nervous before a sporting event. I feel like I'm starting the ******g game man :lol: :smh:.

The issue is the kind of hitters you need in the playoffs are the kind he doesn't go after. Players who try to work counts at every at bat are going to get worked by big name pitchers who have their strike zone expanded by umpires who are happy to give the ace pitcher more K's. You need hitters who will actually hit and not look for a walk that isn't likely to come from playoff pitchers who can throw for strikes all over. It's not a coincidence that we rake up strike outs like no other, it's because teams know our game and also know that if they're aggressive, they'll take it to us. It worked ten years ago, it works today.

I agree with everything you said and that is true. I just feel that we make mental mistakes and don't play our usual baseball when it counts.

Oh, mental mistakes by us is absolutely true. Some of that can be attributed to having a team comprised of rookies/old guys/cast-away players who carry certain baggage that makes them more likely to fail, and of course just plain chance. It also doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be a sense of these issues in the front office, particularly when Billy says the playoffs are a crap shoot. Yeah, they are, when you're not giving the team a chance by not finding contact hitters. It isn't fair to the fanbase or to the players or to the organization.

Going to my first playoff game for any sport ever today. Hope we can do this. I believe in Sonny!

dunno if yall saw this but knbr tweeted out that this video was up on mlb.com but taken down for no reason. dope video for you A's fans.

dunno if yall saw this but knbr tweeted out that this video was up on mlb.com but taken down for no reason. dope video for you A's fans.

I like it. "It's not shiny, but it's home."

Thank you for sharing the video. I wish I could be at the game tonight.

Last edited:
I'm so worried man. Skipping 2 classes to head to the local sports bar for the game. The spread is almost even, which is encouraging.

Well bros and brajes,here at the lot , let's get this one.

Just know that no matter what happens I love you all.

Feeling pretty good right about now. Just got me a six-pack of Lagunitas IPA, my favorite Bay Area beer. My little bit of home out here on the East Coast. Still a little anxious tho.

Its our time, do or die.
the latter 
ohwell.gif
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom