The Official 2008 Chicago Bulls Off Season Thread: BG Signs 1 Year Deal; No one cares; BASEBALL FTW

Originally Posted by knightngale

is loul deng still untouchable?
nerd.gif

roll.gif
Your mvp was the one that wanted to leave your favorite team to come play with luol deng

Norm Van Lier just made an excellent point on Comcast

He said Ben Wallace was the biggest disappointment as a leader for the young guys.

I couldn't agree more

Buddy FTW. He was the star of the show followed by Nicole Eggert.

BTW, as much as I like Kobe and wanted him on our team, I am glad he played like garbage last night so the comaprison to Michael will stop for a while.

Beasley works out at Berto, likes "laid-back" Del Negro

June 17, 2008
Recommend (3)

BY BRIAN HANLEY Staff Reporter

A couple of new faces were at the Berto Center today, and at least one came away with a good impression.

Michael Beasley came in for a private workout with the Bulls, who own the top pick in the June 26 draft. Beasley met new coach Vinny Del Negro, who put the top prospect at ease.
» Click to enlarge image
Michael Beasley is confident he would be a good fit with the Bulls.

(AP)

"Everybody's been cool," Beasley said. "[Del Negro] was real laid back, he had a couple jokes."

Beasley said he did a little of everything.

"Dribbling the ball, posting, shooting, curls, screen work," he said.

Asked what it would mean to be the No. 1 pick, Beasley said: "It would mean a lot being the No. 1 pick, first of all, but then coming to a franchise with so much history and such a big legacy would mean even more."

Working out for the team that Michael Jordan put on the championship map didn't affect Beasley's approach.

"I want to be like Michael Beasley and Michael Beasley only," he said. "I don't want to be like nobody else. I want to make my own first step. I want to be better than everybody. I mean no disrespect to anybody in the league. There are great players in the league, obviously. But I would be cheating myself, if I told you I went on the court everyday wanting to be second-best to anybody. I want to be the best."

Beasley was measured at 6 7 1/2 at the league's predraft camp in Orlando, not the 6-10 he was listed by Kansas State. But Beasley doesn't think that his size should hurt his draft position.

"It's disappointing to find out I'm a ******," he said. "No matter if I'm five feet or 8-1, I'm the same player. I didn't know there was a height requirement for the NBA. I'm going to work as hard as I can."

Some scouts have been impressed by the 20-plus pounds of muscle Beasley added over last summer.

``That was just a crazy strength coach that was going to push you in the weight room each day,'' he said. ``I want to [add more weight] but not too much. Not too early on. I'm going to get stronger playing in the NBA but I'm not worried about it.''

Character questions have followed Beasley since he attended five high schools. But he said it was his choice to move on, not a disciplinary decision by the schools.

``That's basically what it was,'' he said. ``I went to one high school and the basketball program is not as good as it's supposed to be or the system the coach was playing was not the system for me. I was just trying to find the right fit.''

Beasley sees himself as a good fit for the Bulls.

``I know they got two great guards [Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich];Luol Deng at the three; Tyrus Thomas; Joakim Noah at
. I think I'd fit in real good at the three or four spot. I can play any position you want me to. I played a little 3, 4. I'm just anxious to see how this plays out. I'll play whatever position is needed. I do what's needed. Sometimes I rebound. sometimes I'm a scorer, sometimes I'm a defensive player, sometimes I'm a cheerleader. Whatever's needed for my team.''

What does he need to improve upon?

``Everything; strength, conditioning, my jump shot, my dribbling, free-throw shooting, rebounding. Cheerleading,'' Beasley said.

Barring the unforseen, the Bulls will choose between Beasley and former Memphis and Simeon star guard Derrick Rose when they select first overall. Rose is due at the Berto Center after Beasley's two-day visit.

"It's disappointing to find out I'm a ******,
What does he need to improve upon?

``Everything; strength, conditioning, my jump shot, my dribbling, free-throw shooting, rebounding. Cheerleading,'' Beasley said.

I know he was clearly joking but stuff like that raises questions about his maturity to me

Wise cracking before a Chicago media that is already in love with Derrick Rose isn't the best way to win them over

Maybe he already knows that Chicago is a long shot for him to end up

I dunno, but again its just something to be aware of

If he truly is 6'7", I'm assuming thats without shoes; it raises questions about how effective he'll be in the paint in the NBA

if he truly is 6'7", I'm assuming thats without shoes; it raises questions about how effective he'll be in the paint in the NBA
I was never a fan of this argument, when will his shoes being off even matter. That being said Rose IMO will still be the better fit for the Bulls

Originally Posted by KGdakid21

if he truly is 6'7", I'm assuming thats without shoes; it raises questions about how effective he'll be in the paint in the NBA
I was never a fan of this argument, when will his shoes being off even matter. That being said Rose IMO will still be the better fit for the Bulls

Shoes don't add 3 inches unless he's balling in platform shoes

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Agreed that he's not 6'10...but the shoes usually add an inch or inch and a half...so he's about 6'8 or 6'9 and thats still a good sizefor a PF

I just never understood why critics would say things like "Well he's only 6'1 with shoes on" and I just always think that they never playwithout shoes on, so why bring it up

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Agreed that he's not 6'10...but the shoes usually add an inch or inch and a half...so he's about 6'8 or 6'9 and thats still a good size for a PF

I just never understood why critics would say things like "Well he's only 6'1 with shoes on" and I just always think that they never play without shoes on, so why bring it up

cause if a dude was 6'1" with shoes off; he'd be 6'3" with them on

laugh.gif

but I totally get what you're saying

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AssistantSupervisor81

anyone know anything about the contract situations with deng and gordon?

They're both Restricted FAs

Deng will probably re-sign

I think Gordon has mention he'd be willing to sign a one year deal and become a unrestricted FA next off season which could be a real risky move

It may mean everything or nothing at all, but with one week left until the NBA draft, the only team Derrick Rose has worked out for is the Bulls.

Rose finished his two-day visit today with his hometown Bulls, who own the No. 1 pick in the June 26 draft.

Reggie Rose, Derrick's older brother and adviser, confirmed that no visit with the Miami Heat, the team with the second overall pick, has been scheduled.

"But we'll go to Miami if we have to," Reggie Rose said.

Derrick, who led Simeon to two state championships, made it clear that the only team for him was the Bulls, no matter the presumptive pressures that could comewith playing in Chicago.

"I would love to play here, it's a dream come true to get to bring the Bulls back to where they're supposed to be," Rose said. "Ihaven't thought about the [negatives]. I've just thought about the positives; like how it feels to be in the Bulls uniform, and my family would get tosee me. I'm just taking it step by step."

As for playing for the Bulls or the Heat, Rose was more certain today that home was where his heart is than he was at the league's predraft camp in Orlandolast month. At that time, Rose said playing for Miami and team president Pat Riley would be a positive.

"I would love to play under him," Rose said in Orlando. "He let Dwyane Wade play and my game is similar to his, up-tempo. I would love to gothere. I would love to be one of the people that would help them rebuild for the future. But I would love to play for the Bulls, too. It's their pick. Ican't make their pick. It wouldn't hurt if they passed me up. As long as I'm

playing professional basketball, I'm happy."

Rose said today he would "probably" go down to Miami and workout.

"But if not, too bad," he said.

Rose directed Memphis to the NCAA championship game as a freshman and averaged 14.9 points and 4.7 assists. He credits coach John Calipari for helping himmature as a player and person.

"When I first came in the summer, I wasn't sure I would be able to run the offense because it was so many things I had to learn," Rose said."But he put me in this offense and told me to cool down and play my game. He groomed me into a young man and told me to attack the rim more."

Calipari and Simeon coach Robert Smith also emphasized defense, which is always Word One around the Bulls.

"That's the No. 1 thing he wants his players to learn," Rose said of Calipari. "If you take one possession off, he'll terrorize you forthat whole possession until you get on the bench and then he gets in your face. On defense, he used to hate when I let people score.

"Coach Cal and Robert Smith talked about running their offense through their defense. That's what I've been all my years of basketball - defensemakes offense."

Rose has been a winner and leader at both the high school and college level.

But former Bulls guard B.J. Armstrong, now one of Rose's agents, wants his client to become less reserved.

"He wants me to be a leader and be more vocal on the court," Rose said. "He tells me to talk more and make people work harder. My leadershipskills - they're getting better. Hopefully at the next level, they'll go even higher."

Rose admitted to being "nonchalant" about the idea of being - along with Kansas State forward Michael Beasley, who also visited the Bulls this week -among the top two prospects.

"But now I'm just frantic," he said. "I just can't wait until they call my name. I don't care which team. But I [hope] the Bullscall my name."

every time i think im sold on beasley i change my mind and want em to take rose...then i lean back toward beasley....today im leanin toward rose because ithink his defense at the point will be great...plus i like his attitude...seems like his work ethic after the millions of dollars will be higher than beasleys

One guy has all kinds of video coverage of him. The other guy has very little.

Let the guy with all the hype fall. Take the guy that doesn't need the coverage. Derrick Rose is our guy. He's the more polished man. His circle isclose. His talents are obvious. We need a leader, not the Joker.

Rose tries to sway Bulls into drafting him ahead of ... Beasley?
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Derrick Rose desperately wants to be the face of his hometown Chicago Bulls. He's not hiding his feelings one bit.

If the Bulls don't draft him with the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft next Thursday, he said he'll be crushed.

Derrick Rose has made his feelings perfectly clear: He loves his Bulls and would hate to play for the Heat, who pick second next week.

Rarely has a potential No. 1 pick politicked as much as the one-season Memphis freshman point guard, who played at Chicago's Simeon Career Academy. The last hometown star to be drafted No. 1 was Akron's LeBron James, to Cleveland in 2003. But James did not have to convince the Cavs to take him -- he was going to be first pick the moment the Cavs won the draft lottery.

"Everything would be perfect, it would be a dream come true, I swear," Rose said Thursday at the Bulls' practice facility. "I'll probably faint if they call my name, I'll need a paramedic close by."

If Kansas State freshman forward Michael Beasley is taken by Chicago and Rose falls to the Miami Heat at No. 2 Miami, Rose's reaction will be decidedly different.

"I'll hate it. Anybody would hate their hometown not taking you, knowing that it could happen," Rose said, exhaling a bit after meeting the demands of a massive Chicagoland media horde in the midday sun. "But the biggest thing was playing in the NBA. My work ethic isn't going to change."

"I can understand the human element," Bulls general manager John Paxson said. "It's not something that is dismissed. I understand that. But we do have a decision to make and it ends up being a business decision, and that dictates how we'll decide to go forward. We still have a week and we haven't made up our mind."

The Rose-or-Beasley debate is noticeable around Chicago. Both phenoms have been on hand this week for extensive interviews, which are much more important than any on-court workout, with Bulls personnel.

A year ago, Portland had to debate whether it wanted to select a scorer in Kevin Durant or an anchor position in Greg Oden in the post with the No. 1 pick. The Blazers chose Oden. Durant went on to be a scorer (20.3 points per game) for the SuperSonics and won rookie of the year honors. Oden did not play at all because of microfracture surgery but is still expected to be the team's franchise center.

If the Bulls choose Beasley, Paxson said the franchise will be getting a scorer who would balance out a guard-heavy roster.

"With Derrick, he's a special talent at a position that you can have him at for the next 10 to 12 years and feel very good about it," Paxson said. "It's an interesting argument. We're not sitting there comparing the same position. We're comparing two totally different things. What we'll answer at the end of the week is 'where do we think we'll be with the players three or four years down the road?' "

Some of today's NBA rules, like not allowing contact, specifically a forearm on a player out on the perimeter, favor a quick lead guard like Chris Paul or Deron Williams. Such a comparison helps Rose.

"Then you can make the argument that Michael is a guy who can flat-out score, and in our league you've got to put the ball in the basket," Paxson said.

If Rose is his choice then Paxson said the Bulls' numbers at guard would need addressing, although this wouldn't happen until after the draft. Ben Gordon and Luol Deng are restricted free agents, which makes it "more difficult" for Chicago to try moving them.

"It's a tough decision because I think Michael will come into the league and score," Paxson said. "That's what he does. Derrick can come in and have an effect on games without scoring. You're looking at what fits for how you want to shape your roster for the future."

Recently hired coach Vinny Del Negro, who played 13 seasons in the NBA as a guard himself, echoed Paxson's thoughts. He said having a point guard like Paul and/or Williams can allow a team "to play a certain style. It opens up the floor more."

But Del Negro said the "scoring aspect is incredibly important and Michael has done some things in college that were incredibly impressive."

Beasley averaged 26.2 points a game while leading the Wildcats to the NCAA tournament's second round. Rose led Memphis to the national championship game and within one shot of winning the title before Kansas rallied for victory in overtime.

"Watching his workout [Tuesday], you could see how easy the game is for him," Del Negro said.

But just as Del Negro was effusive in his praise of Beasley, he reminded himself about the Bulls' need for a leader at the point.

"We have a really talented young team that needs some direction in some areas and a point guard would help," he said. "Another scorer would help, too. It's not as cut and dried as most think."

Adding intrigue to the situation is Del Negro embarking on his first coaching job at any level.

"It couldn't be better to have a young talented team that I feel underachieved last year and then to have the No. 1 pick," Del Negro said. "How fortunate can I be? But in saying that, we have a lot of work to do."

Representatives for both Beasley and Rose have told ESPN.com their client will be taken with the No. 1 pick. So far they have had no reason to waver.

Rose said he's not sure if and when he'll travel to Miami to work out for the Heat. Beasley was making both the Chicago and Miami trips this week.

"Both guys are going to be terrific NBA players," Paxson said. "We were looking at being at nine [in the draft lottery] and we end up at No. 1. We count our blessings and whatever we do we can't go wrong."

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

Trading Tracy McGrady

Earlier this week rumors surfaced about the Rockets possibly trading Tracy McGrady. While this is likely to be mere speculation fueled by the boredom that sometimes sets in between the end of the Finals and the upcoming NBA Draft, it's not completely out of the question.

Keep in mind that McGrady has never been the top dog on a championship contender. His talents and mentality are best suited to be Robin, not Batman. In that way, he and Pau Gasol have a lot in common. Make Pau the superstar and the Grizzlies were a lottery team. Put him next to Kobe Bryant and all of a sudden he's in the NBA Finals.

That was supposed to be the scenario in Orlando, where the Magic were oh so close to signing Tim Duncan to go along with McGrady and Grant Hill. Of course, David Robinson flew in to prevent Duncan signing and Hill began suffering through a long stretch of injuries. McGrady was left as the lone star, and was so unsuccessful that he was traded to the Lone Star State. So any team that would trade for McGrady would need to have an established star already in place.

With that in mind, HOOPSWORLD's Travis Heath explores some of the possibilities:

The smart money says that McGrady ends up back in Houston. Yes, he's definitely underachieved during most of his career in the playoffs. However, he was pretty darned good this past postseason against the Jazz. And if Yao Ming and McGrady could ever both stay healthy for an entire season, the Rockets' window of opportunity to make some noise as currently constructed (or with just a few small tweaks) definitely hasn't closed.

Will McGrady ever evolve into the type of player who can be a true playoff closer? That's really the question no one has a definitive answer for, but past experience tells us no.

If Houston's answer to that question is indeed no, then they have to look into the possibility of moving him. That, of course, is easier said than done given the two years and over $44-million left on McGrady's current contract.

All that said, there are likely a few teams who would have some interest in McGrady.

Detroit Pistons - Word is that Joe Dumars is reportedly entertaining the notion of adding McGrady at the expense of Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace. If the Pistons then opted to keep Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince, that would provide the Pistons with a pretty nasty lineup. In addition, the Rockets would be able to add two very good players around Yao Ming who don't always have to have the ball in their hands as McGrady does to be effective. Keep your eyes on this one as it has the makings of something that could provide quite a bit of intrigue for both sides.

New York Knicks - Playing Mike D'Antoni's offense would maximize McGrady's strengths while helping to mask some of his weaknesses. However, unless the Rockets want a piece of one of the Knicks' ridiculous contracts like Zach Randolph or Stephon Marbury, a deal couldn't get done. The Knicks could try and sweeten the pot by offering the #6 pick this season and additional picks in the future, but even then it's hard to imagine the Rockets biting.

Chicago Bulls - The Bulls have a lot of solid players, but the player they've lacked since Jordan's departure is that one dominant superstar. McGrady has shown flashes of reaching that level but certainly hasn't proven he can do it when all the chips are pushed to the middle of the table in the postseason. That said, Chicago GM John Paxson is said to be tired of drafting young players in hopes they develop into something big in the future. This makes one wonder whether a package built around Luol Deng, Kirk Hinrich and one of Chicago's young bigs like Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah would get the Rockets' attention. Personally, that seems like a lot to give up for McGrady, but Houston isn't going to move him for peanuts.

New Jersey Nets - Rod Thorn and Kiki Vandeweghe have let it be known that they would like to acquire a difference-maker this offseason, and it's likely they think of McGrady as that kind of player. The Nets have already talked to a number of teams about Richard Jefferson. While Jefferson doesn't possess the same kind of dynamic offensive game McGrady does, he's a much more solid defender. However, the Nets would then likely have to find a taker for Vince Carter, too. While McGrady and Carter are cousins, they're also two players whose games are too similar to coexist, as the Raptors found out north of the border nearly a decade ago. ---Travis Heath

Travis is certainly correct in asserting that a trade for McGrady is unlikely. The Rockets' preference is to keep Yao and Tracy and add a third scoring option - someone like Corey Maggette or Ron Artest. Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace might be enough to pry him away, and Rockets fans would love to see Richard Jefferson finally make his Houston debut. One of the worst trades in team history was the one that sent Jefferson to New Jersey in a package for the draft rights to Eddie Griffin. Even so, the best option would be to work out some other deal so Jefferson could complement the Yao/McGrady tandem.

Will Tracy McGrady find himself traded once again? It's unlikely. But in the new and improved Western Conference teams can't afford to stand still, and the Rockets have already let it be known that they're open for business. If the right deal came along McGrady could probably be pried out of Houston.

[h1]Rose 'chases greatness' with a passion for winning[/h1]

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: June 20, 2008

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Derrick Rose has cried after losing an AAU game. Not just once, but multiple times.

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Mark Humphrey

Derrick Rose's winning mentality and work ethic make him a special prospect in the NBA draft.
An AAU game? Are you serious? There's usually another game in a few hours, and no one pays much attention to an AAU team's win-loss record.
But once John Calipari saw Rose tear up after an AAU loss, the Memphis coach knew right then that Rose was a player he wanted.

"What turned it for me was when I saw him cry after an AAU loss and the other dudes were racing to get to McDonald's," Calipari said. "This kid was crushed by losing."

Rose wasn't being immature. He cared. Maybe too much, but Calipari would take that passion in a second.

"I just hate losing, and I know on the next level I'll have to get used to it [and] hopefully I won't tear up more at the next level," Rose said after his workout for his hometown Chicago Bulls Thursday morning. "I'm really competitive. If people say I can't shoot, then in a drill I'll try to outshoot them. I just hate losing. No matter what it is, I'll do it to win. Winning is the goal for me."

Rose's brother, Reggie, said Calipari has already warned the point guard that he may lose more games in the first few weeks of the NBA season than he did in his four years in high school and his two-loss season at Memphis.

"It's all true," Reggie Rose said of Derrick's crying. "He hates to lose. Cal was clear that he can't lock himself in his room when they lose."

Calipari doesn't mince words about how much of a difference Rose's winning mentality changed the culture of the Tigers' program. Memphis went to two straight Elite Eights prior to Rose's arrival. Memphis went to the national title game with him, and the Tigers were potentially 17 feet -- a missed two-footer against Tennessee and a missed 15-foot free throw against Kansas in the title game -- from a perfect 40-0 season.

"What I like most about Derrick Rose is that when the lights are on, he takes his game to a different level," said UCLA coach Ben Howland. "The significance of the game raises his game to a higher level. He's a big-game, big-time, lights-on guy. That's when he shines best. Those guys are few and far between. Every big game he played, our game, Texas, he was phenomenal."

It's easy to look at Rose as the next Chris Paul or Deron Williams, two point guards who changed their franchises in New Orleans and Utah, respectively. But Calipari compared Rose to Sam Cassell, saying that Rose is the type of winner Cassell has become at the age of 38, still contributing to a championship with Boston years after winning two titles in Houston.

[+] Enlarge

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

Rose raised his game to another level in the NCAA tournament, averaging 20.8 points, 6.0 assists and 6.5 rebounds.

That winning mentality makes Rose a special prospect, Calipari said.

"Barring injury, he's your point guard the next 15 years," Calipari said. "If you can get one like him, you do it."

Calipari said Rose came to an established team, but after a month or two, he didn't just run the Tigers, he dragged them along.

"He's a guy who chases greatness," Calipari said. "You have to have the habits and the work ethic to truly chase it. He does."
Rose proved his maturity and leadership abilities after Memphis' regular-season loss to Tennessee, the team's only regular-season loss of the season. The freshman was one of only a few Tigers who talked to the media after the game. While veterans Chris Douglas-Roberts and Joey Dorsey hid their faces in the locker room, Rose faced the defeat head-on. From that point on, Rose decided to dominate his position.
And his game wasn't the same after that.

Rose had his scoring moments, like putting up 23 points in 25 minutes in a win at Southern Miss. But he also played the true point with 11 assists and just two turnovers in a win over UAB.

He also averaged 20.8 points, 6.0 assists and 6.5 rebounds in six NCAA tournament games. He dominated head-to-head matchups against top point guards like Texas' .J. Augustin and UCLA's Darren Collison.

"It was win, win, win, win, and when the [NCAA] tournament came, Derrick was going to be the best player at his position," Reggie Rose said. "It just so happens that the other young players lost earlier in the tournament [like Michael Beasley of Kansas State, Eric Gordon of Indiana, Jerryd Bayless of Arizona, O.J. Mayo of USC] and that's why the spotlight was on him."

The wow factor for Rose was endless.

"I just knew that I had to put the team on my shoulders," Rose said. "I had to run the team."

[+] Enlarge

Bob Donnan/US Presswire

Rose admits he wants to play for the Bulls, but will he get his wish?
The one blemish that Rose can't forget came against Kansas in the title game. He missed a free throw with 10 seconds left in regulation. If he made the free throw, Memphis would have had a four-point lead. Instead, with a three-point lead, Kansas' Mario Chalmers hit a game-tying 3-pointer with 2.1 seconds left.
Following the title game, Rose was crying, hugging Reggie and spiritual advisor Jesse Jackson outside the Memphis locker room.
"He's his own worst critic and he internalizes his game, and if he makes a mistake, it takes a while for him to get over it," Calipari said.
Despite the one miss, Rose and Reggie say he must be blessed.

The Bulls were slated to get the ninth pick in the NBA draft and had a 1.7 percent chance of landing at No. 1. Rose said he was signing with his agents, Arn Tellem and B.J. Armstrong in Los Angeles on May 20, the day of the draft lottery. He said Tellem asked him who he wanted to play for.

"Of course I said the Bulls, and everyone was laughing because they said it's not going to happen," Rose said. "Then it was just crazy. It was like one in a thousand, and they got the pick. God must have had something to do with it."

The Bulls have a tough choice to make between Rose and Beasley. But the one thing they won't have to worry about if they choose Rose is his commitment to the game.

"He's not doing this so he can be on MTV to show his crib," Calipari said. "That's not this kid. He doesn't need someone to say, 'Hey, look what's in my refrigerator.' He's driven like Tiger Woods. He's got it. He's unique like that."

a package built around Luol Deng, Kirk Hinrich and one of Chicago's young bigs like Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah would get the Rockets' attention. Personally, that seems like a lot to give up for McGrady, but Houston isn't going to move him for peanuts.

Noooo, thank you

Back
Top Bottom