The Official 2008 Chicago Bulls Off Season Thread: BG Signs 1 Year Deal; No one cares; BASEBALL FTW

lets trade kirk already sorry but his time is up

give gordon an extension

STRINGER when you making the cubs sox thread so i can taunt you in there
laugh.gif

hometown dude picked 1st in the draft is not a good look.

paxson dont ever think does he?

hopefully they let ben gordon walk or trade his !#*....

John Paxson is on Mike and Mike right now

• He says that process selecting Derrick Rose was a long and meticulous one
  • He says that the Bulls are very fortunate to get Rose; that getting a good point is hard to do
  • He says the Bulls knew they were taking Derrick, two days ago, but they were still checking things out
  • Golic asks how is Derrick going to fit in?
  • John says he hopes Derrick throws out a better pitch than Golic did at the Cubs game, at todays White Sox game
    laugh.gif
  • John says they don't want to force anything onto Derrick in terms of stepping up and being a leader...the veterans on the Bulls need to step up, unless Derrick steps up and runs away with it
  • John says he's surprised how much teams are willing to pay for draft picks especially in the 2nd round
John is always kind of evasive when he's being interviewed almost like he'd rather be anywhere else and is pretty annoyed

give gordon an extension
So your plan is to take our 20 year old number 1 draft pick and throw him to the wolves in his rookie season which might destroy his confidenceand set him back?

Baptism by fire, huh?

eyes.gif

Gordon an extension??

eyes.gif

That dude is the biggest malcontent on this team, next to Tyrus.

He hates coming off the bench and swears to god he is a franchise player.

He turned down an offer he is now almost guaranteed not to get because of his performance last season and you want to give him an extension?

alien.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

give gordon an extension
So your plan is to take our 20 year old number 1 draft pick and throw him to the wolves in his rookie season which might destroy his confidence and set him back?

Baptism by fire, huh?

eyes.gif

Gordon an extension??

eyes.gif

He turned down an offer he is now almost guaranteed not to get because of his performance last season and you want to give him an extension?

alien.gif

wow.... i actually agree with this laker hater
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NobleKane

give gordon an extension
So your plan is to take our 20 year old number 1 draft pick and throw him to the wolves in his rookie season which might destroy his confidence and set him back?

Baptism by fire, huh?

eyes.gif

Gordon an extension??

eyes.gif

alien.gif

laugh.gif

who the heck said I hate the Lakers?

alien.gif

and I don't care if you agree with me, so you can save it
Why don't you go make a thread anointing Andrew Bynum as the second coming of Kareemyou Laker stan

laugh.gif

give gordon an extension

Baptism by fire, huh?

eyes.gif

Gordon an extension??

eyes.gif

alien.gif

laugh.gif

who the heck said I hate the Lakers?

alien.gif

im pretty sure whenever something is wrong with the lakers you are one of those dudes in there celebrating and talking about kobe stans no?

how did kobe make his way into this thread man?

i agree with stringer.. i was never a gordon fan.. before that draft i was always pushing for iguodala.. gordon is undersized, a defensive liability, a gunner,and a malcontent. i'm much more inclined to support having thabo at the starting 2 spot. hopefully we can get a sign-and-trade for gordon so that wedon't lose him for nothing. i'd also like to see kirk stay as a combo-guard 6th man.. but i don't know if he'd be willing to take a stepbackwards and fill that role.

i'd also like to see kirk stay as a combo-guard 6th man.. but i don't know if he'd be willing to take a step backwards and fill that role.
Definitely....I wouldn't mind Kirk starting the beginning of the season and hopefully Derrick plays well enough to take the job from him andbecome the permanent starting point guard on this team.

Looking forward to watching the Bulls this season.

I'm very excited to see how DRose does with the you guys.

hometown dude picked 1st in the draft is not a good look.

paxson dont ever think does he?
indifferent.gif
at the first one
u kinda right bout paxson though. son isn't big on thinkin.
still he got the job done this time around.

who did we trade sonny weems for. i heard it was an international player.

ohh. and any speculation on the chances of trading for shawn marion.
i know marion, wade and beasley is a beast combo but don't he want out of miami.

better yet any speculations on trading for wade in the next 2 years maybe?
jus pipe dreamin thas all. pause
pipe dream
roll.gif
\
ayo

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

wait when did gordan say he hated coming off the bench?
He never explicitly said it, but whenever he's asked about coming off the bench he's like

I'm going to do what coach thinks is best for the team

eyes.gif

In a three team deal, the Bulls acquired the draft rights to Omer Asik (No. 36) from Blazers, the Blazers recieved a (Knicks) 2009 2nd rounder (from Bulls),and 2009 (Warriors) 2nd rounder from (from Nuggets). The Nuggets received Sonny Weems (No. 39).

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

wait when did gordan say he hated coming off the bench?
He never explicitly said it, but whenever he's asked about coming off the bench he's like

I'm going to do what coach thinks is best for the team

eyes.gif

Yea, it shows in his body language...like when Boylan did it to him during this past season and he went on a mini-tear but he was still salty that he hadto come off the bench.

If he wants starter money let him walk and Kirk could play that 6th man role once Rose takes over

And am I the only one who thinks that was way to much for Omer Asik? I'm just not sold on drafting overseas guys, especially when he's signing a 5year contract soon

Ben Gordon wants to start. Been that way since he entered the league, I don't know why it would come as a surprise to anyone now.

I can't wait to see how Pax shuffles this roster......if he even does. The draft was un-eventful. I anticipated moves being, but once the draft got closerit became evident that the Bulls are gonna be patient. Too bad I'm not.

Hinrich, Thomas, Brown, and a future draft pick to Phoenix for Stoudemire.

Originally Posted by aRog27

Hinrich, Thomas, Brown, and a future draft pick to Phoenix for Stoudemire.
Suns star Amaré Stoudemire declined the opportunity to be an Olympian this summer for USA Basketball.

Jerry Colangelo, managing director for the USA Basketball senior men's national team, said today that Stoudemire is not on the 12-man Olympic roster that will be announced Monday in Chicago.

"Amaré has pulled himself out of consideration for the roster and that's predicated on, despite the fact that he's had an injury-free year coming back (from knee surgeries in 2005 and 2006), he's a little hesitant on pushing the envelope too hard," Colangelo said.

He didn't exactly bounce back from that micro fracture surgery

ohwell.gif

and you wanna give up our starting point guard for the immediate future?

bold decision

If you wouldn't trade Hinrich, and trash for Amare Stoudemire you're an idiot...it would never happen anyway...Phoenix isn't that stipid.

And him pulling out of the Olympics had nothing to do with his surgery...that was just the PR excuse...just like they said Gilbert Arenas was "hurt"when he pulled out.

25 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks aint bouncing back?

First things first for Pax, Bulls
With the No. 1 pick all wrapped up, GM will move on to hiring assistants, sitting down with Gordon and Deng

June 28, 2008
Recommend (1)

BY BRIAN HANLEY bhanley@suntimes.com

Now that the Bulls have selected Derrick Rose with the top pick in the draft, general manager John Paxson can move on to the next item on his to-do list.

Paxson said he hopes to hire the assistants for new coach Vinny Del Negro within the next few days. He also will begin contract talks with the agents for Ben Gordon and Luol Deng when the NBA's free-agent market officially opens Tuesday.

''We are going to start the process right away,'' Paxson said during an interview Friday on WSCR-AM (670). ''I know that we've been in contact with both Ben and Luol. ... We're hoping [Tuesday or Wednesday] we get them here and we sit down face-to-face and start seeing what we can do.

''But I never know. They're restricted this time around. There could be a market for them. And they have the ability to go explore that.''

As restricted free agents, Gordon and Deng can solicit an offer sheet from another team. The Bulls have retained the right to match any deal by extending qualifying contract offers of $6.4 million to Gordon and $4.45 million to Deng before the deadline Monday.

Gordon and Deng -- who both turned down five-year, $50 million contract extensions last October -- will become unrestricted free agents next summer if they accept their respective qualifying offers.

The team officially will introduce Rose -- as much as Chicago needs an introduction to the former Simeon star -- at a news conference Monday at the United Center.

Paxson said the addition of Rose, whom the Bulls drafted with the No. 1 pick Thursday, does not necessarily mean a roster fire sale is at hand, particularly in the backcourt.

''We're not going to rush into that because, for example, I think Kirk Hinrich can play very effectively with Derrick Rose,'' Paxson said. ''I think Ben Gordon can play very effectively with Derrick Rose. I think Thabo [Sefolosha] can. We have Larry Hughes as well.

''Because of Derrick's age [19], we're going to be careful in how we go about this. We're not going to rush into giving up some of our players thinking that's going to solve all our problems.''

During his two-day visit to Deerfield before the draft, Rose met Hinrich, Gordon and Joakim Noah.

''I think I can blend in great,'' Rose said. ''We're young, we'll be able to talk to each other. They're great guys.''

Paxson said taking Rose over Kansas State forward Michael Beasley was more than a consensus choice.

''Very honestly, at the end when we made our decision, it was unanimous among our scouts and coaches and myself,'' Paxson said. ''This had everything to do with the direction we felt was right for us. I think he's a special type of talent.

''I think ultimately what separated Derrick for us is his position, point guard, is such a difficult one to fill for the long term. ... There are 20 teams ... that would love to have a bona fide point guard. And most of the teams that do are some of the elite teams.

''I don't think there is a player at that position who has the physical gifts Derrick has -- the strength, the incredible speed he has. I think that is something that's going to be very difficult to guard. I guess that's what we finally came down to. Finally, I think Derrick's just a super young man. He's humble.''

Paxson also liked the fact Rose led Simeon to consecutive state titles and Memphis to the NCAA final as a freshman last season.

''He wins everywhere he goes,'' Paxson said. ''That's an intangible thing that's important.

''You also have to look at our league right now. A number of years the league looked at scoring numbers that had gone down. They looked at how the perimeter was being defended. The league basically, and very wisely so, took away some of the contact that was allowed defensively on the perimeter. So now when you have good guards that can handle the ball, penetrate, and have speed and quickness, they're at an advantage.

''Derrick has that going for him in a big way. He's the type of player that's probably going to get to most places he wants to on the floor.''

NOTE: In the second round, the Bulls chose Arkansas forward Sonny Weems, then worked out a trade that sent him to the Portland Trail Blazers for the rights to 7-foot center Omer Asik from Turkey.

Asik, who will turn 22 Friday, is expected to spend the next two years in Europe. General manager John Paxson believes the Bulls landed a ''first-round talent'' in Asik.

''We made this as a futures play,'' Paxson said. ''You look at size ... we thought if we could get him, it was a no-brainer.

''The other thing is ... honestly, we didn't want to put another guy on our roster this year out of the draft. We're young enough. We just felt if we could get him, knowing that's a chip for 2010 that we'll have coming over, we thought that was great.''
The voice of reason

pimp.gif

Paxson said eff outta here with your NBA 2K8 trades

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

i was never a gordon fan.. before that draft i was always pushing for iguodala
Glad your not a gm cause coming out of college I would have definitely taken Gordon all day. Iggy can't shoot and I promise it seems likedude doesn't work on his game which at least Paxson can vouch for. Just cause your taller don't always make you better.

Back
Top Bottom