*The Official 2008 NBA Finals Game 1 Post ~~ CELTICS vs LAKERS Vol. Stern got his way

Really?! I would expect the experts to be like half and half in choosing a favorite, but the Lakers are 8 of the 8 picks from ESPN. Pretty surprising, if youask me.

Originally Posted by CL2423

Really?! I would expect the experts to be like half and half in choosing a favorite, but the Lakers are 8 of the 8 picks from ESPN. Pretty surprising, if you ask me.

not really, i know some will disagree but the lakers have pretty much controlled their entire playoff run, if theyve won its cause they made their shots, iftheyve lost its cause they missed their shots - controlled in that sense rather than being stopped by good defense which there was, the lakers are just one ofthose teams whos gonna live or die on their shooting for the most part and either theyre going to hit !#+!! or theyre not, the quality of defense just alterstheir shot selection

where as boston has been on the brink twice and were 5 min away from a 3rd

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by CL2423

Really?! I would expect the experts to be like half and half in choosing a favorite, but the Lakers are 8 of the 8 picks from ESPN. Pretty surprising, if you ask me.

not really, i know some will disagree but the lakers have pretty much controlled their entire playoff run, if theyve won its cause they made their shots, if theyve lost its cause they missed their shots - controlled in that sense rather than being stopped by good defense which there was, the lakers are just one of those teams where either theyre gonna hit !#+!! or theyre not, the quality of defense just alters their shot selection, where as boston has been on the brink twice and were 5 min away from a 3rd

Yeah, I would agree that in the games the Lakers have lost in these playoffs, Game 3,4 in Utah and Game 3 against the Spurs, the Lakers lost because theoffense simply wasn't there on that night, and a majority of the team had an off game. When the Lakers are making their shots, they will be very difficultto beat. I wonder how they will face against this Boston D.

now that I think about it, I suppose it's logical that the team that takes out the defending Champs is the favorite
ohwell.gif

just didn't expect every ESPN analyst to pick the Lakers to win

how's Scot Pollard getting to the Finals two years in a row?
nerd.gif

and all these PGS from the 2006 draft playing in the Finals before anyone else in that class? Boobie Gibson(2nd rd), Rondo, Farmar...(shannon brown SG, played1 min last year in the close out sweep game).

some of ya'll act like kobe is that much better than pierce. it's gonna be a close matchup between them. pp always plays well against kobe. i justwanna see a good series. a close one.

Originally Posted by FYALADY

some of ya'll act like kobe is that much better than pierce. it's gonna be a close matchup between them. pp always plays well against kobe
Wow, so many bold statements in there where to begin... how about
smh.gif

some of ya'll act like kobe is that much better than pierce. it's gonna be a close matchup between them. pp always plays well against kobe. i just wanna see a good series. a close one.
pp always plays well against kobe

that's true, he has a big frame and can use his strength against kobe - he'll take kobe in the post. don't want Kobe to pick up fouls againstpierce.
some of ya'll act like kobe is that much better than pierce
he is....HOF lock Kobe ...

Pierce - even if he wins a championship he won't be in the HOF, he might get one foot, not even foot ---- toe in the door and at his age, his gameisn't going to improve that much, so hes not even close.

some of ya'll act like kobe is that much better than pierce. it's gonna be a close matchup between them. pp always plays well against kobe. i just wanna see a good series. a close one.

laugh.gif

he is....HOF lock Kobe ...

Pierce - even if he wins a championship he won't be in the HOF, he might get one foot, not even foot ---- toe in the door and at his age, his game isn't going to improve that much, so hes not even close.
i thought you already knew i wasn't talking about accomplishments. i'm pretty sure if pp had shaq he woudlve had some rings = hof.

i was talking about the pure skill set. cuz paul has it as well.

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Should be a fun Finals... Can't wait.
Me either.
pimp.gif

I guess I'm a Celtics fan by default, can't stand the Lakers and most of their "fans".

Kobe's 08 Playoff averages:
31.9 PPG 50.9% FG%

Paul Pierce's 08 Playoff averages:
18.6 PPG 43.3 % FG%
You're kidding right? Kobe is that much better than Paul Pierce.

i would have been 47892572986204375676592 times more interested in a spurs/pistons final series and watched every minute. Now I won't watch a single minuteor care at all about the outcome. The matchup doesn't interest me at all and I'm perfectly fine with being one of 7,000 people in the US who stronglywanted a spurs/pistons final to watch real basketball. showboating ftl in this. Can't wait until the ratings are bad and people can't say anythingabout it.

Originally Posted by curt2121

i would have been 47892572986204375676592 times more interested in a spurs/pistons final series and watched every minute. Now I won't watch a single minute or care at all about the outcome. The matchup doesn't interest me at all and I'm perfectly fine with being one of 7,000 people in the US who strongly wanted a spurs/pistons final to watch real basketball. showboating ftl in this. Can't wait until the ratings are bad and people can't say anything about it.
There are more than enough Laker and Celtics fans out there who will be watching so this will be watched everywhere. Both those teams have fans allover the place; just like the Yanks, Red Sox, Cowboys, etc. do.
I do have a bad feeling that the week-long hype up for this series (thanks to ESPN)will take some luster out of it though.

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

Lakers are HEAVY favorites, according to BSPN (not sure if I like all the sudden LA support
nerd.gif
)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/series?series=lalbos

[h3]Expert Picks[/h3] [table][tr][td]
abbott_henry_35.jpg

Abbott[/td] [td]
adande_j.a._35.jpg

Adande[/td] [td]
broussard_chris_35.jpg

Broussard[/td] [td]
ford_chad_35.jpg

Ford[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
lal.gif

(In 5)[/td] [td]
lal.gif

(In 6)[/td] [td]
lal.gif

(In 7)[/td] [td]
lal.gif

(In 6)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
hollinger_john_35.jpg

Hollinger[/td] [td]
sheridan_chris_35.jpg

Sheridan[/td] [td]
stein_marc_35.jpg

Stein[/td] [td]
thorpe_david_35.jpg

Thorpe[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
lal.gif

(In 6)[/td] [td]
lal.gif

(In 6)[/td] [td]
lal.gif

(In 5)[/td] [td]
lal.gif

(In 6)[/td] [/tr][/table]

finals_logo.jpg

Select Series LA Lakers vs. Boston--------------Conference finals--------------Detroit vs. BostonSan Antonio vs. LA Lakers--------------East semifinals--------------Cleveland vs. BostonOrlando vs. Detroit--------------West semifinals--------------San Antonio vs. New OrleansUtah vs. LA Lakers--------------First Round - East--------------Atlanta vs. BostonPhiladelphia vs. DetroitWashington vs. ClevelandToronto vs. Orlando--------------First Round - West--------------Denver vs. LA LakersDallas vs. New OrleansPhoenix vs. San AntonioUtah vs. Houston

[h1]LAKERS VERSUS CELTICS[/h1]

Classic Clash

Classic Clash

The NBA's two most storied franchises meet in the 2008 NBA Finals. It's the MVP vs. the Big Three. Can Kobe and the Lakers defeat the top-seeded Celtics? You decide. Vote | NBA Finals schedule

Getty

Simmons on the conference finals in 48 hours
Hollinger: Stacking up this Final Four teams
Nugs-Lakers | Jazz-Lakers | Spurs-Lakers
Hawks-Celtics | Cavaliers-C's | Pistons-C's
these guys cant be serious? ALL of them picked the lakers?
tired.gif
itsgonna be 2004 finals all over again....

Kobe and phil won titles before but i dont think they are miracle makers.... Their D is still one of the worst in the league...

The Lakers are playing at the highest level right now, and it has been really fun to watch. The Celtics are finding a way to play much better on theRoad...beating the Pistons twice in Detroit. So both of these teams have a lot of confidence heading into the finals. IMO here are some of the reasons why Isay the Lakers might win the series.

Many people on here are saying Pau Gasol's defense hasn't been well and Tim Duncan had his way during their series with LA, which he did. But S.Aended up losing anyway 4-1, because the Lakers focused on slowing down Manu and Parker, and the rest of San Antonio's shooters. Im not saying S.A. isbetter than Boston, but I think the Lakers will do the same against Boston, and look to slow down Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. If Garnett settles for thatperimeter jumpshot, Odom has the speed and length to defend, and will probably double-team occasionally, or late in games. Radmanovich and Vujacic did agreat job on Ginobili, and I see them helping Kobe Bryant defend against Paul Pierce.

Well that's about it, and IMO if LeBron can push this Celtics team to a game 7 with practically nobody, I believe that Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Fisher, and therest of the Lakers can get the job done.

I definitely don't like everybody favoring the Lakers so much. Last I checked Boston still had homecourt and responded to every challenge.

Back
Top Bottom