THE OFFICIAL 2023 DALLAS COWBOYS OFF-SEASON THREAD || Cowboys Gonna Cowboy

He'll be gone I hope... I'm thinking we may have to move back it's looking more and more like all dlineman will be gone the more I look into other teams needs hope we can pick up another 3rd and 5th and trade with the 9ers again

-Almost done. Have to put scouting for the top 15 OLBs.
-Come up with my top 5 choices for each round

My Sleepers (Based on what I looked at OG, DE, DT, FS/SS, Haven't finished OLB yet):
Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississppi State (Round 2-3)
Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina (Round 2-3)
Brock Vereen, FS, Minnesota (Round 3-4)
Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech (Round 3)
Craig Loston, SS, LSU (Round 5)

Don't see us waiting to Ellis for a DT. But the first three, would be ridiculous. Martin fits perfectly. Jackson has ability to make a huge impact inside with Frederick. Vereen is a born leader.

Count me in on Jackson I've cooled on Martin but wouldn't be disappointed if we picked him in the 3/4 range but I think he goes early 3rd round as well

I believe loston goes in the third from what I've read and the tape I've seen

CBS & NFL.com have him 5th.

Some places have him 3rd, 4th. I've seen more in the 5th. I think the later the projection, the more they weigh on him staying healthy.

I have him ranked 8th among all FS & SS. So Late 3rd - Mid 4th would not surprise me at all.

Last edited:
Here's all of it. Didn't want to make it a ridiculously long post, so click the spoilers.

Depth Chart

Offensive Guard

Sleeper - Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State. Ready to start as a rookie. Doesn't necessarily fit our zone blocking, but could be formidable in between Tyron & Frederick making one of the better blind side lines in the league.

Defensive End

Sleeper - Kareem Martin, North Carolina. Fits Cowboys need. Very physical. Big strong guy, that will use strength to knock back LT's

Defensive Tackle

Sleeper - Justin Ellis, Louisiana Tech

Outside Linebacker

Sleeper - Telvin Smith, Florida State. Defensive Leader. Scouts project him to Cowboys scheme the best, and become an All-Pro

Safety

Sleepers - Brock Vereen & Craig Loston. Both vocal leaders on defense. Physical players.

Here's where I think we should go each round. Some of the guys in second have chance to fall into the third, and third fall into the fourth. Doesn't include WR or CB, which I don't think we will draft in the first few rounds. TE,QB,RB should only be only used if we find someone we really like in the 7th round.

Round 1, Pick 16

1. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
2. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
3. Calin Pryor, S, Louisville
4. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
5. Trade out of the first round. There's nobody really left for us to take that fits. If we can get a 2nd Round Pick & 3rd Round Pick for our #16, we will have plenty of ability to draft a lot of great players.

Round 2, Pick 15

1. Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
2. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
3. Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina
4. Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State
5. Kyle Von Noy, OLB, BYU
6. Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech

Round 3, Pick 14

1. Brock Vereen, SS, Minnesota
2. Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State
3. Justin Ells, DT, Louisiana Tech
4. Trent Murphy, OLB, Stanford
5. Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee
6. Craig Loston, SS, LSU

Last edited:

Anyone else anxious that Jerry gon Jerry and draft Manziel @ 16?
laugh.gif
I wouldn't be upset if we did... Romo's back could explode at any moment.

If Donald or Johnny aren't there, I'd rather see us trade back than take HCD or Pryor.. Pick up an extra pick in the second or third round.

Play the upside game and come out with two of Jernigan/Jones/Urban/Easley at DT in the first two rounds... Then take a safety (or, hell, even two) in Round 3-4. Exum, Reynolds, Dixon, Brooks Bailey... 

I wouldn't be upset if we didn't touch offense until Round 5. About the only thing we should even look at is a guard.

I like him I see it as a risk but dude was pretty good for only 2 years of playing olb at a big conference school.. shows he has alot more room to grow and he is able to put on 15-20 more pounds too.

if Barr falls to 16 be thankful guys, that's a steal

if all of our defensive guys our gone they should take Beckham, he would be the BPA IMO

These next few hours need to hurry up so these ******** Manziel rumors can cease

All in if Manziel is there at 16 we need a young QB but he won't be there

Last edited:
AWESOME stats from blogging the boys

Dez Bryant and Felix Jones are the only Skill position players drafted by Dallas in the first round since 1997

In the 25 drafts under Jerry Jones, from 1989-2013, the Cowboys have made 228 draft picks. 64 of those picks were used on offensive skill positions (QB, RB, TE, WR) according to the draft data at Pro-Football-Reference.com. That's a percentage of 28.1%, the lowest value of any team in the league.

In the first three rounds between 1989 and 2013, 23 of 85 players the Cowboys drafted were offensive skill position players. That's a rate of 27.1%, the fifth lowest value over that span. You can twist the shiny toy myth any way you want, it won't make it any more true.

Of the 85 picks made by the Cowboys in the top three rounds between 1989-2013, 20 were offensive linemen. No team in the league has drafted more offensive linemen in the top three rounds of the draft over that span than the Cowboys. Calculated as a percentage, the Cowboys (23.5%) narrowly rank third in the league behind Miami (23.7%) and Seattle (23.9%) in terms of offensive linemen picked in rounds 1-3.

Cant count how many times I've seen the usual suspects yell on here how Jerry only cares about drafting Skill position players and avoids Oline guys

Last edited:
AWESOME stats from blogging the boys

Cant count how many times I've seen the usual suspects yell on here how Jerry only cares about drafting Skill position players and avoids Oline guys

A good chunk of that span was Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells drafting moreso than Jerry. Two coaches who wanted to shop for the groceries if they're cooking the meal, as opposed to some of the other coaches in that span.

A good chunk of that span was Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells drafting moreso than Jerry. Two coaches who wanted to shop for the groceries if they're cooking the meal, as opposed to some of the other coaches in that span.

Nah you're reaching fam :lol:

They start from 97,after Jimmy was already gone, and one of those two skill position players drafted is Dez.

Jerry being obsessed with skill position players =lie/myth, no matter how you try to slice it.

Nah you're reaching fam :lol:

They start from 97,after Jimmy was already gone, and one of those two skill position players drafted is Dez.

Jerry being obsessed with skill position players =lie/myth, no matter how you try to slice it.

:lol: I agree! The facts were interesting and i agree with them. All I was saying is that some of that, "only 2 skilled positions drafted" talk , which means lineman being selected, is due in part to 2 coaches that were hard-nosed and not pushovers. Yes you can give Jerry some credit too, I guess. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom