The Official Adidas D Lillard 1

Got a pair in the Rip City colorway and went TTS.  Glad they let me use the birthday coupon with this release.  Fit is perfect for me and I do not feel that issue with the heel from walking around.   Curious to see how they will perform on the court though.

My pair is finally set to come in today. After having to deal with east bay and their backorders, adidas ends up pulling through. Glad I got to play in these before the release, but I never had any heel issues when I laced them up and played in them, but then again, foot shapes differ as well.

Just excited to get them in my size

Went TTS on these as well. Fit perfect. Normally wear 11.5 in Nike unless I know something runs narrow/snug. The 11 I originally ordered would have been way to tight.

I ordered the ASG and Rip City coloway. Going to send the Rip City pair back because of a weird vertical crease or bend in the toe box. So if you see an 11.5 pop back up on adidas.com be leary.

Last edited:
I can't find the picture, but I'm pretty sure I saw it here, but I never noticed the reflective strip on the forefoot doesn't line up perfectly when laced up like I like them, but not a big deal. Now it bothers me a tiny bit.

Got my pairs in.  Ordered a 9.5 and a 10.  Kind of a long read so the TLDR version is this:  Heel area is poorly designed.  Too roomy.  Hard to lockdown.  10 is too long for me when tied tight.  9.5 is good when tied tight, but cramped at the toe box, width wise.  Go with your larger size for strictly casual use.  I wouldn't go up a size at all.  If you want to play ball in them, you have to try them on and even then you may end up returning or exchanging.

Here are my full thoughts:

I'm a 10 in Kobe V, VI, VIII

Under Armour CF Drive

Adidas Rose 1, 1.5, 2.5

9.5 in Zoom 2K4 (yeah way back), Adidas Rose 3, Jordan XX, Adidas Tubular

First off, I gotta say these are poorly designed at the heel.  Hugely disappointing for how much they put into the campaign and this being Lillard's first shoe, especially with how well he has been playing since entering the league.  Even if you don't have fit problems with them, they are poorly designed.  Way too spacious back there, and no simple way to eliminate that issue.  And the heel counter sits very low, maybe too low, and tying the laces doesn't do enough to push your foot back and really lock it in.  I've already considered wearing a thick wristband around my ankle to try and fill that area out.

Chances are some of you guys have an Adidas Speedwrap.  Putting that on helps, but again, it doesn't completely secure the foot back there and makes a ton of noise from the friction between the wrap and the shoe inner.

In terms of sizing, when I put on the 10, it feels TTS until I really tie them down.  When my foot is pressed back into the heel, there is too much space up front so I would say they run slightly big for me.  Wearing them loose though, they feel TTS.

WIth the 9.5, they didn't feel as snug as I thought they would, but my toes start to feel cramped.  But when tied tight and with my foot pressed back into the heel, the length at the toe is perfect.  I know if I play ball in these my toes will start to hurt after my feet swell and also from the pressure from cutting and lateral movements.

You guys should put some thought into what you plan to do with the shoes if you get them.  If you are going to play ball, which I'm very reluctant to but will try anyways, and you go TTS, then you would probably be better off with double socks or some kind of ankle brace to fill the heel out.  I'll most likely go with my smaller size and use them for light shoot arounds and when lifting upper body.  If you're thinking strictly casual, TTS should be fine.

Side note for those who have the first Nike Hyperrev:  These fit similar to them (not feel, but fit).  I had the same exact length issue except for the heel slip.  10 was slightly too long with my heel locked in, 9.5 was a tad snug.  I went with 10, but if I could do it over, I'd go with 9.5.  Toe off is a bit inefficient in the 10, which is why I want to go with the 9.5 in the Lillards.

Finally, this begs the question, or questions, what the hell was Adidas doing with these?  I have several questions (that we will probably never get answers to) and "conspiracy" theories:

1.  Lillard is semi-masochistic and he likes to make things hard on himself.  The game comes too easy to him so he wants an extra challenge.  Solution: add some heel slip to his shoe.

2.  Lillard has some kind of crazy ankle muscles, or he uses a roll of tape on each ankle before lacing up.

3.  What was the wear testing process for this shoe, if any at all?  I can't believe somebody didn't say something about this before they went into production.

4.  Was this deliberately done, knowing people would go ham on Lillard's first sig. regardless of initial reviews so that they could "fix" the issue in the LIllard 1.5 / 2?

Not an adidas person normally, but like this dame line. To me the shoe looks like a nike or jordan model. I like the fact they don't have the 3 stripes on the shoe like rose, howard and wall... I ordered the weber states. My 14 yr old picked up the asg today at HOH and i ordered the bhm off adidas restock for him as well. Looking forward to the rose city and whenever they decide to release the shirts...

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/B...3-446F-8B2D-54F8A50CB23E_zpsmsfudp4x.jpg.html

@NikeKid6

Good lookin pair 
smokin.gif

Got to play in them today.  Went with the smaller size (I'm 9.5/10).

What sticks out to me at the moment is I definitely had to tie them extra tight.  My toes weren't jamming at the toebox like I thought they would.  Didn't experience too much initial discomfort, but because I had to really tighten them, and because of the thin tongue area, the lace pressure gets very noticeable after about 2-3 games.  I wore them with NBA socks, if anyone's curious.  Compared to the CF Drive, which to me does an incredible job of dispersing lace pressure with such a thin tongue, it is irritating right at the last eyelet and final knot.

Court feel and transition are great, traction is a bit better than the Drive to me because I didn't have to wipe nearly as much.  They are pretty responsive and provided solid impact protection.

It's a solid backup shoe to me, I wasn't expecting it to be A-1, but for a few games they are fine.  Feel pretty good for casual use and light shooting.

Deezy - posted my review on Weartesters today but feel the same. Once the heel area begins breaking down and creasing, it improves some, but I still have to lace super tight for a good heel fit. Traction, cushion, and transition make it to good to write off completely.

Believe it or not, I already read your review before you posted on here haha.

Gotta say, I pretty much agree with everything. That heel design is baffling. The shoe could be so much better and the fixes are easy. I went with my smaller size though and it wasn't nearly as loose as my "normal" size.

That was a difficult review because I wanted to love this shoe. Everything else was ON. Even when I was writing I was wearing them thinking "these aren't as bad as I thought". Then I went out one last time to shoot around the driveway court and it was right there.

Hey I hear you man.  Gotta be honest.  They are flawed, simple as that.  It ain't our fault.

That flaw isn't going to affect everyone the same way, if at all, but from a design standpoint, it's better to lean on the side of caution and lock that area up in my opinion than leave it so spacious and hope for the best.

For me, I don't dread playing in them again at all, and I'm looking forward to giving them some run.  But I do expect to feel that lace pressure and discomfort that we both mentioned sooner rather than later.

Being a blazer fan, since the first game Dame debuted his shoe he hasn't seemed quite the same.Hopefully they adjust the design of the shoe for my blazers sake.

That was a difficult review because I wanted to love this shoe. Everything else was ON. Even when I was writing I was wearing them thinking "these aren't as bad as I thought". Then I went out one last time to shoot around the driveway court and it was right there.
Great review -- mirrors my thoughts pretty much exactly.  I wanted to love them too...

In fact, the first league game that I laced these up for, they played awesome.  However, having tied super tight to not get any heel slippage, I threw them on the next morning for some shots before a workout and the lace pressure had killed my feet/ankle... it's a shame.  Can't stop thinking what could have been with these.  

Heel slip has been an issue with shoes on both sides of the fence recently. I had issues with the Kobe 9 Elite and KD VII

Kobe issues were solved with an orthotic ON TOP of the lunarlon midsole, and the KD (seems) to be fixed with heel lock lacing. The KD was quite bad and I was having pain in my arches.

I've got these in the BHM colorway waiting for me, hopefully one of the above solutions will work if I have heel issues

Heel slip has been an issue with shoes on both sides of the fence recently. I had issues with the Kobe 9 Elite and KD VII

Kobe issues were solved with an orthotic ON TOP of the lunarlon midsole, and the KD (seems) to be fixed with heel lock lacing. The KD was quite bad and I was having pain in my arches.

I've got these in the BHM colorway waiting for me, hopefully one of the above solutions will work if I have heel issues
I tried the heel lock lacing in these, which usually does the trick for me in most shoes.  It helped a little bit with these, but the heel fit still just isn't right... 

I noticed that heel slip issue also when i saw my teammate wearing the allstar cw in our league, but it doesnt affect his performance. I'm thinking to get one but i want other cw's.

I'm not sure if it's my foot or what, but I don't have the heel slip issue, but I do feel the lace pressure across the top of my foot when fully laced

Back
Top Bottom