The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

Holy Crap! I didn't Know Origa Passed away! RIP to one of my favorite singers...
frown.gif
tired.gif

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-18/ghost-in-the-shell-singer-origa-passes-away/.83416

Inner Universe still gives me chills when I hear it to this day...

I still find it hard to believe she sang these songs in English, Japanese, Russian, and Latin.
mean.gif
pimp.gif
waaaaaaa!?
eek.gif

The Inner Universe opening still gives me chills. When the Tochikomas are fighting on the temple steps
smokin.gif

Woudl u consider the start of this arc that Ice village the long hair chick was from. whree the giants were the start?

I think we have to read the Fairy Tail Zero (or whatever the Mavis one is) to understand it fully , like they'll link up soon or a later

I think thats why i liked this arc more than others. everyone got some shine, everyone was pushed to their limits. and put Gray on Equal (if not stronger) status than Natsu finally .

Yeah that was the start, I was thinking back on it and remembered a little better, but it escalated so quickly it almost didn't make sense. There was the village with the fire, then they go check on council members and get ambushed, then it gets into the main stuff. 

Aren't FT Zero and all these side FT series written by Mashima's assistants and not him? I don't like the series enough to delve into those when I'm barely hanging on to FT. Gray has always been shown as Natsu's equal for the most part, he just hasn't been included as much. This time tho he was gifted a power up that more or less could put him over the top for a while. The arc suffered from all the normal FT problems tho, such as started out strong, getting shaky in the middle, then sputtering out at the end, the Erza fight which i talked about a while back, etc. It was better at balancing characters tho. 

I've been trying to hold off on reading Boku no Hero Academica until it hit around 50 chapters or more, but I think I might take the jump, unless any of you have some other suggestions. I lost my lists of anime to watch and manga to read, so now I have to start over a remake it. 

An article came out today on the historical background of Cavendish's and Hakuba's name and possible inspiration Oda could have pulled from for the character. It's pretty interesting.
http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/01/20/chao-time-strange-case-of-dr-cabbage-and-mr-hakuba/
Written by chaozek

Disclaimer: This article contains spoiler to the Dressrosa arc.

Since Law took over the last three articles, here’s an article dedicated to our resident pretty-boy swordsman Cabba — Cavendish:

The Name Behind Cavendish
In English, the name Cavendish can be considered a lengthy name, even in English, though his name can simply be pronounced in three syllables. Spelling his name in Japanese, however, requires quite a lot of characters due to the nature of the language, nine in this case (キャベンディッシュ Kyabendisshu). Due to the length, Luffy would simply reduce his name to the similar sounding “Cabbage” (キャベツ Kyabetsu), which only needs to be spelled with four characters in Japanese.

The name Cavendish is ultimately of Anglo-Saxon origin, originating from the town Cavendish in Suffolk, England. Taking the name of the town as his surname, John Cavendish served as the judge of the town and became the ancestor of an English aristocratic family known as the House of Cavendish. One branch of the family, whose members hold the title “Duke of Devonshire,” serves as one of the wealthiest and most influential families in England.

thomas-cavendish.jpg

Thomas Cavendish

One notable member of this family is Thomas Cavendish, an English explorer and privateer known as “The Navigator.” Coming from a wealthy family, Cavendish inherited a large fortune at a young age and spent his early years in luxury. Similarly, the Cavendish in One Piece  is a noble from Rommel who became a pirate. Based on the clothing and architecture, Rommel has also apparently taken some inspiration from late 19th-century London, complete with its own version of the Big Ben  and pea soup fog.

At the onset of a war between Spain and England, Thomas Cavendish became a privateer and raided Spanish ships. He was determined to emulate a fellow privateer named Francis Drake  by raiding Spanish ships in the Pacific and circumnavigating the world. His first expedition was a complete success, having captured a Manila galleon filled with rich cargo. After the raid, Cavendish and his crew explored islands in Southeast Asia and collected information on the Chinese and Japanese coast. He returned to England on September 5, 1588, having accomplished his first journey before reaching the age of 28. Going by the historical reference, One Piece‘s Cavendish may have some involvement with the two fictional nations Wano and Kano in future arcs, since they are based on Japan and China respectively. In addition, he may also have some connections to X Drake, or may encounter him in the near future.

His second expedition wasn’t as fortunate. After sailing to Brazil, Cavendish engaged in a battle with the Portuguese in Vitorio, where he lost most of his crew. He later died somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, having written a letter blaming his navigator for his ultimate demise.

cavendish.jpg

Cavendish Square

Cavendish also shares his name with Cavendish Square, a public square in Westminster named after Henrietta Cavendish-Holles. It is smaller than the more well-known Trafalgar Square, also located in Westminster. Amusingly, Cavendish in One Piece  had also considered his popularity “overshadowed” by Trafalgar Law and his fellow Supernovae.

DrJekyll-MrHyde.jpg

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr. Cabbage and Mr. Hakuba
The aforementioned Cavendish Square is also one of the settings in the novella Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, serving as the place of residence of the protagonist’s best friend — Dr. Hastie Lanyon. Described as the “citadel of medicine” in the novella, the square was an affluent district where the upper class lived, including the highly-respected Lanyon.

The novella follows the story of a doctor with a dissociative identity disorder, where two or more distinct personalities exist in one body. In this case, Dr. Jekyll’s alternative personality is the malevolent Mr. Hyde. The former is described to be a “well-made, smooth-faced man,” while the latter is described to be a sociopath who indulges himself in acts of evil and lu****l nature. Similarly, Cavendish is an elegant sword-wielding noble, while his alter-ego, Hakuba, is a psychopath who attacks anyone within his vicinity. While Dr. Jekyll could initially control the transformation, he would still involuntarily become Hyde in his sleep. As time passed, the transformation increased in frequency, leading Jekyll to realize that the transformation would soon become permanent. Similarly, Cavendish would transform into Hakuba during random bouts ofsleep. Having known Hakuba’s existence, Cavendish is also shown to be able to control Hakuba to a certain degree, albeit with great difficulty and requiring some amounts of pain to stay conscious.

Hakuba’s White Horse
His alter ego Hakuba (ハクバ) shares the same pronunciation as his epithet “White Horse” in Japanese with the latter written in kanji as 白馬. A white horse has been traditionally associated with the knight-errant, a figure in medieval chivalric romance literature. In Japanese, the terms “knight in shining armor” and “white knight” can be translated as “knight of the white horse” (白馬の騎士 hakuba no kishi). These white knights are traditionally portrayed as wandering the land in search of adventures to prove their virtues and defend women, which Cavendish did with Rebecca in the Colosseum. Some of these tales of romance would also involve dragons, giants, and fairies, all of which were either referenced or had appeared in the current arc. Incidentally, the concept of the knight-errant was deconstructed in the novel Don Quixote, which lends its name to the main villain of this One Piece  story arc.

The-Winged-Horse.jpg

Bellerophon and Pegasus

The white horse  has also been shown to hold significant positions in various mythology. Legendary animals such as the Pegasus and the unicorn have been traditionally portrayed as white. The Pegasus  has been considered to be a symbol of wisdom and fame. In Greek mythology, the winged stallion was the offspring of Poseidon and Medusa, where Poseidon serves as the god of the sea and horses. It was then captured by Bellerophon  to assist him in slaying the chimera. After becoming famous, the Greek hero grew proud and believed himself deserving of becoming a god by flying to Mount Olympus, after which he was struck down by Zeus.

Norse mythology had featured Sleipnir, Odin’s gray steed whose parents wereSvaðilfari  and Loki. The trickster god disguised himself as a white mare and copulated with the stallion, resulting to an eight-legged foal that is Sleipnir.Grani, one of the horse’s descendant, had served as a horse to Sigurd, a legendary Norse hero who had slain a dragon named Fafnir.

The white horse had also made some appearance in the Bible, particularly in the Book of Revelation. It is described that Jesus  would declare war with the world in the the end times and lead his army from the heavens while riding a white horse. In addition, the white horse has also been used by one of the Four Horsemen of Apocalypse, who is generally referred to as Conquest. In addition to Conquest, the fourth Horsemen known as Death uses a pale horse. Related to this, white had also been the color traditionally used for ghost. Hakuba is seemingly shown to have a white mask-like facial expression on him that gives him a ghastly appearance.

Like Law, references in Cavendish’s name also have a strong connection to England, implying that he will become a major ally. Taking into consideration how riders of white horses are commonly portrayed to slay monsters, Cavendish is implied to have some further involvement in future conquest, possibly in a coming battle with the “King of Beasts” Kaido. Let’s hope that he’ll be able to control Hakuba by then.

The Your Lie in April manga is getting scanlated pretty fast now. I hope the anime gets a season 2. 
Actually, both the anime and the manga series have been synched to end at the same time, which will be in a few weeks from now.

Actually, both the anime and the manga series have been synched to end at the same time, which will be in a few weeks from now.
Thanks I appreciate the info. I just realized the anime was still ongoing for the season yesterday. Thought it had ended since I waited so long to catch up. 

One Piece
Weak chapter, however it was a necessary one to close up the dwarf subplot and at least it was done quickly. The problem was the chapter, the dwarf part at least felt very uninspired. It was like Oda said well at this point I have to draw this, but there are other things I'd rather focus on so I'll do this chapter as quickly as possible. It's over now at least, so there's a plus to that. 
There's a lot of emphasis on healing powers in this arc, especially after a backstory where Law couldn't be cured from a disease and couldn't help Cora due to being unable to use his powers. 

Leo's Haute Couture Patchwork move was nice. 

Franky and Senor Pink is still ongoing as you can see them fighting in the background of one panel.

Rebecca has to be the most useless character to ever grace this series, except maybe after Momonosuke. Because she's useless, Robin will probably get relegated to the role of babysitter instead of actually getting to do something. It's the same reason I hate Momo, he has to be babysat and his personality sucks. Rebecca should have stayed with Viola and Ussop instead of trying to go to the battlefield and burdening everyone. Ideally something happens to force Robin to intervene, but I don't have much faith in that happening anymore. 

Yeah the fight reset after round 1 and Franky is running on reserve cola. I'm not worried about length of the arc, at this point I just want a strong finish, but I do hope it ends fairly soon, cause I'm much more interested in all the chaos that'll spread in the world due to this arc. It's only been like 3 or 4 days since the timeskip too, which is crazy. 

Waited a week for this 
roll.gif
 I'm gonna act like Oda took another break and just ignore this chapter.

AInt em disappoint with this chapter. As long as the plot progresses, it's good. Don't like Mansherry's power tho, just way too convenient an ability. Leo's attack was pretty badass

AInt em disappoint with this chapter. As long as the plot progresses, it's good. Don't like Mansherry's power tho, just way too convenient an ability. Leo's attack was pretty badass
Exactly, while it wasn't really a good chapter, it got a plot point out of the way so there won't be backtracking after the fight. But yeah I don't like what her power could potentially mean going forward in the arc, depending on the limits of the power. It makes it too easy to solve problems. The chapter felt like Oda wasn't even really interested in it tho and just wanted to get it done. 

Chapter was almost as bad as when Luffy and Law were in that well with the clone Doflamingo.

That chapter and scene existed for no reason and had absolutely zero significance :smh:

Why do I keep doing this to myself[emoji]128516[/emoji]
So Kubo on some Star Wars ish now[emoji]128516[/emoji]

I dont even know what's going on in Bleach anymore.

Did a subbed version of the naruto anime ever release anywhere?

:rofl: idk how Yall still read bleach

Bleach and Naruto were :x all last year...naruto only got a pass Cuz it was about to end...bleach needs to do the same thing desperately

I only read Bleach because I feel a "duty" and "obligation" to see it through until the miserable end.[emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji]
Plus I pick up new mangas every once in a while and I see the same formulas I've seen throughout the years, so my attention goes away real, real quick.
Attack on Titian is about to get the same treatment from me because the curve of how horrible that manga declined[emoji]128553[/emoji].
Or I'm just sadistic that way to endure the filler and bs these authors/animators put people through[emoji]128516[/emoji]

Last edited:
You not messing with attack on Titan? I'm up to date on the manga and I'm still pretty drawn into it.

I just hate that 1 chapter per month crap, but atleast its like 30-40 pages.

I just marathon'd the last 5 chapters of Attack on Titan and it's kind of amusing how predictable the story "twists" have been since the Titan reveals.

Truth be told it almost feels like it's ending in 12-15 chapters. It's funny how they've all accepted "how" sentient titans are created and forgotten completely about the chief question of the manga: "wait... what the **** is a titan anyway?? and how/why do they exist?"

Back
Top Bottom