THE OFFICIAL INVESTORS THREAD vol. Securities, Real Estate, Franchises

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Which brokers are you guys using to buy your shares of stock? buying directly from the company? point me in the right direction 
nerd.gif

I like schwab. A couple of my buddies use Scottrade and they like it. 

Originally Posted by rgoya

Be on the look out for financials to bottom out in late q3/early q4, they've been getting hammered the last 2 Q's. Some are now trading below book value. A lot of these banks are fundamentally strong but suffer from global uncertainty and the euro crisis. With that being said, some financials are in trouble and need some major restructuring (BAC being one). Some hedge funds are starting to go long on financials. Just some food for thought.
EDIT : I'm avoiding any banks based/with major exposure to Europe. The European situation is so fragile I don't want my money anywhere close to it. Hopefully the ECB gets their act together and it doesn't spread to the rest of the world.
Every single national bank is going to have some type of counter party risk to Europe.
Those asking about Brokers...

I now use Schwab since I don't really trade/invest a lot.  I used to use OptionsXpress, whom I believe got bought by Schwab.  I signed up for Thinkorswim but never utilized it.

I am a novice at best, I heard of E-Trade, Schwab, What is the simplest way for me to handle my own via online? or any info?

Checking in to see how everybody's portfolio is doing.  Its been up and down for me this year.  Looking forward to the holiday season though.

I use Scottrade for my investing.  Can't beat $7 commission.

A couple tips for the noobies:
1. If you are still in school, or even if your not, join an investment club.  Learn from the mistakes that other people have made.  This is not the type of thing where you want to learn lessons the hard way.  Being involved in an investment community can be extremely beneficial.

2. Research!  In a company you want good leadership, no debt, growth (international growth), etc. for long term returns.

3. Don't gamble.  I'm pretty conservative when it comes to investing but I know people who make reckless decisions like they're playing blackjack in Vegas.  Not smart at all.

4.  Set your own personal "Rules to Investing" and live by that.  Look at the habits discussed in the books and online and write down what you plan to do.

5.  Form goals! I feel this is the most important.  Set short term (quarterly, yearly) and long term (retirement, 10 year) goals.  This gives you a mark to aim for and helps control your risk.

You don't have to be rich to start investing.  I started with $2,500 I made from a summer internship.  Let's make this money!

I've been told by many people on the street that Technical Analysis of the Financial Market is a great book. It addresses futures markets if I'm not mistaken but the same principles can be applied to the Technical Analysis of any security. Kind of pricy too, I think I paid $70 for mine on Amazon

Jim Cramer is a hack, it's a shame anyone listens to him and it's even more of a shame he makes money off of giving bad advice

Good thread to educate the younger guys out there...... When the market was real low in late Oct I put another big chunk in the market thats grown nicely since....

I have looked into opening Franchise restaurants with YUM, they approved me based upon my prior ventures even though they werent in the Food field, but the problem is I want to open in a very specific neighborhood only and they want me to open a minimum of 3 stores.......

But all the younger guys need to learn to put a certain amount of your earnings away every time you get paid into some type of long term growth vehicle..... When you get to my age (31) you will be thankful

Bump.
Just applied for an options account with call/put writing and selling ability. Hopefully I get approved so I can start getting aggressive with my trading.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Bump.
Just applied for an options account with call/put writing and selling ability. Hopefully I get approved so I can start getting aggressive with my trading.

What do you need to get approved?

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Bump.

What do you need to get approved?
I don't know. I had to answer questions about my income, investment accounts and experience investing. 

AAPL $476.68 
Up 17.7% on the year. This is EASY money guys. If you have a couple grand lying around, this is where you need to put it. 

very good post.

But,

If I want to get real serious about investing where is the best place to start? (if I know "absolutely nothing" about investing)

Thanks!

whats the best iphone app for stocks?

the native app isn't for me, i am thinking about going into the bloomberg free app...

i wish i had money to put into aapl...

Bought PFE on a small dip today. With their dividend should yield minimum of 4.5% (on downside protection) on just holding it.

Anybody participate in a dividend reinvestment program? I'm on a college budget but I'm gonna have an internship this summer and I'm looking to get involved in a DRIP, but I'm looking for some good companies to look out for and get that first share....any advice NT?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

AAPL $476.68 
Up 17.7% on the year. This is EASY money guys. If you have a couple grand lying around, this is where you need to put it. 
Seriously. They could hit $600 at this pace.

Back
Top Bottom