**..:The Official Jewelry Thread Vol. 11: You get a Jesus piece! You get a Jesus piece! Everybody gets a Jesus piece:..**

What karat gold you guys recommend for a cuban link? The chain I want to get is nothing too fancy - 5mm - but I would like to know if I should get 14k or 10k. I hear that 10k is more durable 14k holds more value.
A cuban link is one of the strongest chains so it wont matter if you get 10k, 14k. Obviously the more gold content the more valuable but they both look the same and will last a lifetime with normal wear. With gold prices being so high more and more people are wearing 10k especially in north america. I would buy a 9k piece if it was one of a kind and i liked it. 

You're right it's 37% and 41% solid gold but it is still considered gold (10k for North America & 9k for UK and Australia). I own 14k and 10k gold because if i see an item i like i buy it. 

The question is..
If the gold you are purchasing has more alloy in it than gold, is it really gold? :nerd:
Or are you simply being sold something imitating the appearance and luster of gold, when in all reality you are just being sold scrap non precious metal alloys for $$$ :x
Anything under 14 carat is a no go.

Last edited:
10kt gold is still legally enough of a percentage of gold to be labeled as gold, and it is that gold percentage that does determine the value, if the pricing was just of the other metals the cost would be much lower

The question is..
If the gold you are purchasing has more alloy in it than gold, is it really gold?
nerd.gif
Yes. Yes it is. You can confirm it with the government if you would like.

The question was rhetorical the answer was horrible.
But I suppose if your happy to keep buying it, they will keep selling it to you, that's for sure. Everyone's a winner.

Karats gold percentage Other Metal percentage
24kt gold 100.00% other metal 0.000%
22kt gold 91.60% other metal 8.4%
18kt gold 75.00% other metal 25%
14kt gold 58.5% other metal 41.500%
10kt gold 41.7% other metal 58.300%
6kt gold 25% other metal 75%

Or Wiki

58.33% - 62.50% = 14k (acclaimed 58.33%)
75.00% - 79.16% = 18k (acclaimed 75.00%)
91.66% - 95.83% = 22k (acclaimed 91.66%)
95.83% - 99.95% = 23k (acclaimed 95.83%)
99.95 and above = 24k (acclaimed 99.99%)

Not sure why this was not grasped in my previous post but, my point was and still stands, if the gold you have purchased has more non precious other metal alloys within it than the actual gold content within it, why bother at all. Are you really wearing gold? Advertising/marketing/selling this stuff is :x but hey people trying to make a living right, if the people want to buy it, they will sell it. That's simple Supply and demand.

But we as the consumers, purchasing it, Should demand a higher quality especially with something like gold otherwise it just defeats the purpose really, legal or not, labeled (hallmarked) or not. Below 14 carat has no reason to exist in my opinion.

It is something giving the illusion of being something it is not.

This is gold we are talking about, why cheapen it like that, yeah ok add a little metal alloy to strengthen and add durability etc sure, but to dilute it to the point where the level of gold content is less than the alloy used to stretch it out like, no thank you. Give me the real deal please, unadulterated. Within reason, or nothing at all.

At the end of the day..
it's the orange juice concentrate argument all over again. If you enjoy it, and your happy with it then I say live and let live. Do you :smile:

Last edited:
But I suppose if your happy to keep buying it, they will keep selling it to you, that's for sure. Everyone's a winner.

Or Wiki

Not sure why this was not grasped in my previous post but, my point was and still stands, if the gold you have purchased has more non precious other metal alloys within it than the actual gold content within it, why bother at all. Are you really wearing gold? Advertising/marketing/selling this stuff is
sick.gif
but hey people trying to make a living right, if the people want to buy it, they will sell it. That's simple Supply and demand.

But we as the consumers, purchasing it, Should demand a higher quality especially with something like gold otherwise it just defeats the purpose really, legal or not, labeled (hallmarked) or not. Below 14 carat has no reason to exist in my opinion.

This is gold we are talking about, why cheapen it like that, yeah ok add a little metal alloy to strengthen and add durability etc sure, but to dilute it to the point where the level of gold content is less than the alloy used to stretch it out like, no thank you. Give me the real deal please, unadulterated. Within reason, or nothing at all.

At the end of the day..
it's the orange juice concentrate argument all over again. If you enjoy it, and your happy with it then I say live and let live. Do you 
smile.gif
I hear ya man, to each their own. 14k in Italy and France isn't even considered gold. It has to be 18k or better. UK & Australia is 9k. 

Last edited:

Or Wiki

Not sure why this was not grasped in my previous post but, my point was and still stands, if the gold you have purchased has more non precious other metal alloys within it than the actual gold content within it, why bother at all. Are you really wearing gold? Advertising/marketing/selling this stuff is
sick.gif
but hey people trying to make a living right, if the people want to buy it, they will sell it. That's simple Supply and demand.

At the end of the day..
it's the orange juice concentrate argument all over again. If you enjoy it, and your happy with it then I say live and let live. Do you
smile.gif
the reasoning why is because you're not taking into account the cost of materials to make that 10k gold chain, when you factor in cost of materials you will see why it is sold and labeled as gold, it has nothing to do with demanding higher quality

for example a 100 gram 10kt yellow gold chain

using 

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7185426_composition-10k-gold_.html
[h2]10K Gold[/h2]

• Gold designated 10K contains 37.5 percent pure gold and 62.5 percent other metals. Metal of less than 10K gold content cannot be sold as "gold" in the U.S. A typical 10K gold alloy contains 37.5 percent gold, 52 percent silver, 4.9 percent copper, 4.2 percent zinc and 1.4 percent nickel.
so lets say out of that 100 grams

37.5 percent is gold

52 percent silver

4.9 copper

4.2 zinc

1.4 nickel

spot price of gold is $38.53 per gram

spot price of silver is $16.17 per gram

spot price of copper $.006 per gram

spot price of zinc $.002 per gram

spot price of nickel $.015 per gram

so by that regards of that 100 gram 10kt chain

there would be

$1444 worth of gold

$840 worth of silver

$.03 worth of copper

$.01 worth of zinc

$.02 worth of nickle

so even though there is a higher percentage of other metals mixed into the chain to make the chain, the value of the gold is almost 2x as much the value of the silver and the rest of the metals used

even with that said personally i prefer 14kt, never cared for the look of 18 or 22.... and the only time i've purchased 10kt was because it was a really good deal

Too bad it only has like one tiny *** diamond on the eye ball :lol:

I think it's a diamond there. I can barely see it :nerd: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom