The Official Jordan XXXI Thread

Let me just predict tonight's marketing story:

This is a re-invention of the Jordan 1, but with 30 years of technology. This is the shoe that would have been banned by the league if the technology existed. We've incorporated Flyknit in the upper to give it a sock like feel. We've blended it with leather on the back of the shoe, to provide more of a lockdown fit and more reinforcement in the heel area. An inner sock has also been incorporated to enhance the fit of the shoe. Last but not least, we're using *insert BS name of whatever it is they want to call Zoom Air this year*, building upon Michael's preferred choice of cushioning.

It's funny that people are complaining these to be plain while we had more people complaining back then about radical air jordans designs like the 20, 2009, 2010, 2012 - xx8
Because they wanted a more simple but good looking basketball shoe.
I must say the xxx1 look good. Not spectacular but they look good.
Xx8 were the last radical designed Air Jordans imo, but look, almost noone rock them casually and most colorways were not appealing.

It's funny that people are complaining these to be plain while we had more people complaining back then about radical air jordans designs like the 20, 2009, 2010, 2012 - xx8
Who is complaining about that? 

Oh nevermind, 1 person said it. Im pretty sure we can all agree that the simplicity of todays air jordans is a lot more appealing than what they were doing before the 29s.

These days the main complaint is the Jumpman. On the 29 it was too big or there were too many, the 30 it was on the f'n toe, now on the 31 its slapped willy nilly on the side of the shoe. 

You would think this would be negligible compared to the garbage designs we were getting from the pre-29s. However, it's equally annoying. Its like going from a fat chick with a hot face to a hot body with a butterface.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see if they show any better colourways, because if I'm remembering correctly a version of the Cosmo xxx was shown at the xxx unveiling

View media item 2097362

Who is complaining about that? 

Oh nevermind, 1 person said it. Im pretty sure we can all agree that the simplicity of todays air jordans is a lot more appealing than what they were doing before the 29s.

These days the main complaint is the Jumpman. On the 29 it was too big or there were too many, the 30 it was on the f'n toe, now on the 31 its slapped willy nilly on the side of the shoe. 

You would think this would be negligible compared to the garbage designs we were getting from the pre-29s. However, it's equally annoying. Its like going from a fat chick with a hot face to a hot body with a butterface.

You can go and check the archives here for all air jordans from 16 - 30 concerning their initial releases.
There were usually many people saying "these are butt ugly" or those who say Jordans should have stopped at the 14."

Many wanted to have more casual appealing design instead og being outstanding.
Well, concerning the sizing or placing of the jumpman logo it's about individual taste.
I personally really like my team orange xx9 with that oversized jumpman.
And we also had at least 2 alternative designs where you dont have that oversized jumpman with different woven patterns.
Concerning the xxx, I'm not a fan on the jumpman being placed on the whole toe area. And besides i dislike them reusing the sole of the xx9.
The xxx1 could have been better with a little bit going on the upper and having the jumpman placed on the heel (back ).
But seriously? When the og 13, 18, 19, 20, 2012, xx8, xx9 came out i also had thoughts how i would like them more.
But in the end i was fine with what they are.

The more I look at the xxx1 and see it next to the 1, the more it makes sense.  Two things that jump out on the 1 are the swoosh and the Air Jordan Wings logo.  30 sigs later the two things you see are a faded Swoosh and a dominant Jumpman logo, kind of telling a story to folks.  I'm not really a fan of the shoes, I haven't bought a Jordan signature since the XX (that isn't a retro).  I know the last couple of Jordan sigs have beasts on the court, but my preference for hoop shoes have been either the nike basketball line or one of their other athlete sigs (usually KD's), simply because they do perform well and at a lower price.  Older folks and people who actually hoop will probably enjoy these, the retros will stay for the hype beasts.  Overall, I get what they did, these will be overpriced, they look like a team jordan but their materials are probably crazy nice.  

i like the idea of modeling the 31 after the 1 but the placement of the Jumpman makes me think of the Fly Wade 2s everytime i see them.........

Can someone please PS the leather portion Red? And make the jump man black...? I think that would make more sense if they were looking to model these after the AJ1

I like these and the idea behind them but that Jumpman is just out of place. Maybe a smaller Jumpman on the back of the shoe or wings logo as others suggested. Also the mid sole I'm not a fan of either. Should have been a solid color all the way around.

That FLIGHTSPEED wording just below the Jumpman made me take a few looks before knowing what it said.

Had me thinking it said something totally different :lol:

Last edited:
How JB almost had these perfect and botched it is beyond me

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like if the soles were clear and the midsole had less back and forth with the coloring, they would look better. Maybe add some white to the toe box "flyknit" to break up the red.

Back
Top Bottom