The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

4eb156487fb81753ad1e02c6cf7984643a7dbf3_r.png

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

Anyone use any book bags for their MacBook Pro 15in? I'm currently looking at the incase one.. But, I went into the Apple store recently, and the bag kinda feels flimsy and cheap, even though it's priced at $100...

The one I'm looking at is: http://goincase.com/produ...l/nylon-backpack-cl55301

Which one do you guys recommend?
i just put my mb in a sleeve and then put it in my backpack, more versatility, and the sleeve can turn into a mousepad

Originally Posted by kiendienn

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

Anyone use any book bags for their MacBook Pro 15in? I'm currently looking at the incase one.. But, I went into the Apple store recently, and the bag kinda feels flimsy and cheap, even though it's priced at $100...

The one I'm looking at is: http://goincase.com/produ...l/nylon-backpack-cl55301

Which one do you guys recommend?
i just put my mb in a sleeve and then put it in my backpack, more versatility, and the sleeve can turn into a mousepad
I am thinking of getting a bookbook case from twelvesouth or the Gucci case. Blaze the packpack is nice. I found a Gucci version that I may go with. 

[h2]Apple Bumps MacBook Pro with Processor, Graphics, Storage Upgrades [/h2]
Apple today quietly released a minor update to its MacBook Pro line, offering upgraded processor, and in some cases graphics and/or storage options at the same price points as the previous models. Portions of the improved specs had been leaked to 9to5Mac by reliable source Mr. X late yesterday.

2pq04uv.png

Among the key changes:

13-inch MacBook Pro:

- Processor options move from 2.3 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 and 2.7 GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 to 2.4 GHz and 2.8 GHz options.

- Hard drive options offer increased capacity, moving from 320 GB in the low-end configuration and 500 GB in the high-end configuration to 500 GB and 750 GB respectively.

15-inch MacBook Pro:

- Standard processor options move from 2.0 GHz and 2.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 to 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz options. The high-end custom processor option at 2.3 GHz has now become a 2.5 GHz option.

- For discrete graphics, Apple had previously offered the AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB of memory on the low-end configuration and the Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB of memory on the high-end configuration. Apple has now moved the 6750M to the low-end configuration with 512 MB of memory and given the high-end configuration a Radeon HD 6770M with 1 GB of memory.

- The previous build-to-order option of a 500 GB hard drive running at 7200 rpm has been bumped to a 750 GB drive at the same speed.

17-inch MacBook Pro:

- Processor speeds have been bumped from a base 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with a 2.3 GHz upgrade option to a 2.4 GHz base processor with a 2.5 GHz option.

- Graphics have been improved from the AMD Radeon 6750M with 1 GB of memory to the Radeon HD 6770M, also with 1 GB of memory.

- The previous build-to-order option of a 500 GB hard drive running at 7200 rpm has been bumped to a 750 GB drive at the same speed.

Originally Posted by Petey Wheatstraw

Quick question about memory. I want to upgrade to 8 GB for my MBP and I see what Apple is charging and it is outrageous. I go to Newegg and see the prices there and it is a huge difference. Is there any disadvantages from purchasing the memory from newegg
1) What are you doing that requires 8GB? Unless you're doing heavy digital work (i.e. running several Creative Suite programs simultaneously, working in C4D, or editing video in something other than iMovie), then chances are you could free up some RAM by just working out your sys preferences.
2) Disadvantages— Voiding the warranty, and Apple may not work on it regardless of whether or not you have a warranty if it has parts other than their own in it. Same concept as adding aftermarket parts to a car. Also, having a unibody MBP means that taking it apart just to get to the RAM slot is going to be a $#$%!. You better do tons of research 'cause if you get in there and it's not the right kind or you only have one slot that maxes out at __GB of RAM then you'll have to either put it back together and wait for the new RAM or just be MBP-less for a week.

For perspective, I have a 2004 iBook G4 that I took apart last year to max out the RAM (1.25GB max 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
) and it took me roughly an hour to take off the body, and then about 3 minutes to change the RAM, and then another 20 minutes to put it back together. Keep in mind that I got it for free and didn't care if I scratched, damaged, broke it. I got it for free broken and fixed it (still runs great, btw). There are special tools you can order online to help with the process, but there's still a chance of damaging it.

NOW, FOR THE GOOD NEWS

3) Advantages— Probably the same ##!+ or better and less expensive. Newegg is about as trustworthy as they come. If you have the time and patience to do it yourself, you won't regret it.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Originally Posted by djbj6t9

Just became a proud owner 2 weeks ago.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
bring it back to the store for the ones they came out with a couple days ago
Yeah, I called the Apple Store last night after seeing the dude post about the new ones. Shout out to that guy.
smile.gif

FYI MAC BRAHZ, 

there are 2 active TROJANS out for OSX users.....there is a link in the article for mac anti-virus protection

Another Macintosh trojan hits the wild.

The last Macintosh trojan that we reported on was named Flashback.C, and would execute after you opened a .dmg file posing to be Adobe Flash player. It would install and disable your Apple Anti-Malware system. If you had LittleSnitch installed, the trojan would not execute, instead automatically delete itself.

Now, another Macintosh trojan is on the loose. This trojan was originally made for Linux systems, but was ported to Mac OS by a couple of hackers. It's called OSX/Tsnunami.A and it uses your computer and internet connection to attack Web Sites. The Linux build of the trojan was known as Linux/Tsnunami or Troj/Kaiten.

How does it do that?
OSX/Tsnunami.A is installed on your computer, and sets itself up with internet servers through IRC and waits for users in those IRC's to enter commands for the trojan to execute. When activated, it will attack a Web Site with Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks. What this means is that the trojan will repeatedly send bulks of requests to a Web Site until it crashes. Effects will be similar to how Apple's website (more specifically the iOS 5 update servers) crashed due to the huge volume of users trying to update at once. That being said, this trojan can cause huge problems for Web Sites and the unaware user would be denying service to a Web Site, which is generally unlawful under intentional circumstances. So the trojan could be setting you up for more than just downing a Web Site, but it makes your machine a hotspot for agents investigating the issue.

Does it do anything else?
Yes. OSX/Tsnunami.A not only makes your computer attack Web Sites, but it also it attempts to fill your computer with more malware. Generally this wouldn't be too bad of an issue, as the Apple Anti-Malware is not disabled by this trojan. Most of it would be forbidden to execute from the start. But a mix of this trojan, plus the Flashback.C trojan is an ugly combination.

I warn all Mac users to be careful of what they are downloading. Make sure that all downloaded .Dmg files or any kind of file that can be executed are legitimate and downloaded from the official websites. These types of trojans are only installed by inadvertently downloading a fake .Dmg file and installing it. These kinds of trojans can only be installed after the users permits the installation by entering their system password. So please be cautious how you enter your password. If you don't have LittleSnitch, I highly recommend the investment, as it will help keep some of the problems such as Flashback.C out of your system. OSX/Tsnunami.A is definitely not a problem that you want to deal with.

Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac has been updated to find and terminate OSX/Tsnunami.A. I recommend it if you are in fear that this trojan could potentially put you at risk, that you install Sophos.

hey Brahz I know I keep asking this, but I`m thinking about pulling the trigger on a Refurb joint because I seen some good pricing for em.

I already have an iPad, but I`m still tied between getting the iMac or the 15 inch MBP, all I`m going to do is web browsing, music, programming (primarily using Windows virtually) and some Photoshop/Dreamweaver stuff. The 15 inch joint would be nice to have if I need to take a computer with me when I eventually go back to school, but I was thinking at the time I eventually do that I could get a MB Air to use. The iMacs seem to be the best bang for your buck, but Im torn.

Also does upgrading ram by yourself void warranty?

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

hey Brahz I know I keep asking this, but I`m thinking about pulling the trigger on a Refurb joint because I seen some good pricing for em.

I already have an iPad, but I`m still tied between getting the iMac or the 15 inch MBP, all I`m going to do is web browsing, music, programming (primarily using Windows virtually) and some Photoshop/Dreamweaver stuff. The 15 inch joint would be nice to have if I need to take a computer with me when I eventually go back to school, but I was thinking at the time I eventually do that I could get a MB Air to use. The iMacs seem to be the best bang for your buck, but Im torn.

Also does upgrading ram by yourself void warranty?
Upgrading RAM does NOT void your warranty, BUT, if you did have to troubleshoot the cpu, Genius Bar will require you to re-insert the original RAM that came with the CPU. They do this because the upgraded RAM could be the source of the problem.

After seeing the newly unveiled specs is it safe to say there will not be a new design for the macbook pros anytime soon

Originally Posted by bxbadboy90

After seeing the newly unveiled specs is it safe to say there will not be a new design for the macbook pros anytime soon

At least not for another 6-8 months or so. If you were looking to pull the trigger on a new model, now is the time.Monoprice makes great quality stuff...your thunderbolt card will work just as well as the marked up version apple sells.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Just became a proud owner 2 weeks ago.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
bring it back to the store for the ones they came out with a couple days ago
Yeah, I called the Apple Store last night after seeing the dude post about the new ones. Shout out to that guy.
smile.gif

Damn thats not right i just bought one too.. they should let you know when you're buying it, seeing how your dropping at least over at 1000$ in their store, like hey, where coming out with an updated model next week in case u wanna wait... thats not cool at all

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by bxbadboy90

At least not for another 6-8 months or so. If you were looking to pull the trigger on a new model, now is the time.Monoprice makes great quality stuff...your thunderbolt card will work just as well as the marked up version apple sells.
i thought there was a MBP refresh on the first quarter, or am i confused with something else?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I recently got my MBP from Amazon, how would I know I got the one with the new specs?

hit the apple logo, then click on "about this mac" then go to "more info..."

Originally Posted by georgehimself

Anyone have any external hard drive suggestions? Portable and at least 1TB please. Thanks.

Western Digital.

Originally Posted by breezylocks

real life...

school me on how to change themes, icons, and stuff like that

Candybar.

Back
Top Bottom