The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by djbj6t9

Just became a proud owner 2 weeks ago.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Congrats.
Why didn't you buy a i7 MacBook Air. I own a 15" i7 MBP and I would take the MBA over the MBP.

Quick question. i never turn my macbook pro off. I just shut it and throw it on the charger. I never turn it off or anything of that nature. Is this bad? Should I always turn it off and on or something? I just like to get my laptop, open it and do work.

Ideas?

To all my peeps who use their macs for videos, I got a couple of questions.

I need a little help. I have a Sony mini dv camcorder (Sony DCR-PC101) and I want to transfer all my video into my MAC (MBP 15 inch 2010 model). Anyone know how?

My questions for you guys,
How do I know what firewire cable is?
How do I know how many pins my unit has (for the firewire cable)
Is firewire same thing as DVI?
Do I need any special program or can I do this with the Imovie program?

I really appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks.

Originally Posted by JRThumper85

Quick question. i never turn my macbook pro off. I just shut it and throw it on the charger. I never turn it off or anything of that nature. Is this bad? Should I always turn it off and on or something? I just like to get my laptop, open it and do work.

Ideas?

From Apple.
Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.  

I'm surprised there isn't more talk over iTunes Match.

All of your songs are available in the cloud.
All low bit rate songs will be matched with 256kbps and will be available to download for you to keep forever.
This service does not stream music from the cloud but plays the song as it downloads into your local harddrive.
Deleting the song is as easy as swiping the track from left to right.
You can also download full playlists, artists, and albums from the cloud.

I still don't think itunes match is on oar with services like Spotify, which lets you actually stream your stuff without downloading . I use google music a lot too. Not sure why they don't have streaming with icloud. That's killing it for me

Originally Posted by ItzJono

Originally Posted by JRThumper85

Ideas?

From Apple.
Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.  
Thanks jono.
I mainly leave it on my desk or dining room table. I use it till it says to charge then i close it and charge it. I never turn it off though. I guess my question is also do yall turn yalls off after every use or leave it on and just close it and leave it on standby?

Originally Posted by djaward

I need a little help. I have a Sony mini dv camcorder (Sony DCR-PC101) and I want to transfer all my video into my MAC (MBP 15 inch 2010 model). Anyone know how?

You can use a USB cable to connect your camcorder to your Mac. Once connected, your Mac should recognize it and you'll be able to copy all of your videos.

I'm looking at buying a MBP, but I heard there's gonna be a refresh next year, so do you think it'd be better to wait it out or just go ahead and buy one?

If anyone wants to run Windows on there Mac i'm selling a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. Comes with both 32 and 64 bit versions with one product key. If your interested pm me, trying to get rid of it for pretty cheap.

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

I'm looking at buying a MBP, but I heard there's gonna be a refresh next year, so do you think it'd be better to wait it out or just go ahead and buy one?

If you need it, buy now.
If you don't need it and think you can wait until february-march then go ahead and wait. RUMOR says completely new redesign....

Alrite NT fam i got a few questions. I know NT's Geek Squad can provide me with some answers.

1: Best place to buy a Macbook Pro? This will be my 1st Mac.
2: with Black friday AND cyber monday a week away. Should i cop then?

Thanks in advance NT. hopefully someone can help me out. Just trying to save alil bucks if i can

kiendienn wrote:
I'm surprised there isn't more talk over iTunes Match.

All of your songs are available in the cloud.
All low bit rate songs will be matched with 256kbps and will be available to download for you to keep forever.
This service does not stream music from the cloud but plays the song as it downloads into your local harddrive.
Deleting the song is as easy as swiping the track from left to right.
You can also download full playlists, artists, and albums from the cloud.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Originally Posted by megatron

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

If you need it, buy now.
If you don't need it and think you can wait until february-march then go ahead and wait. RUMOR says completely new redesign....
youre not alone but waiting till feb/march seems so far
i even thought about getting a cheap toshiba then getting another mac for the refresh, i wish we at least had some concrete info on the refresh

actually i might just pick up something cheap for black friday or this season then get that refresh next year

i mean who wants to buy something when a COMPLETE redesign is coming?

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

Originally Posted by djaward

You can use a USB cable to connect your camcorder to your Mac. Once connected, your Mac should recognize it and you'll be able to copy all of your videos.

Thanks for responding, but that didnt work. I had to connect with Firewire. I thought people at the mac store knew what they were talking about. 
I asked the sales person, 

ME- What type of firewire do I need to connect my camcorder to my mac?

Her- You need a 6 to 4 pin cable... 

Me- Are you sure?

Her -Yes.

So I go to monoprice.com (
pimp.gif
) and order a cable for $2 and some change (Apples cable was $29.00). It was the wrong dam cable. I needed a 9 to 4 pin. 

I know this is a minor situation and it can easily be fixed, but these people act like their gods because they work at MAC. The least they can do is be right about something so small. 

Originally Posted by JayInfamous22

Alrite NT fam i got a few questions. I know NT's Geek Squad can provide me with some answers.

Thanks in advance NT. hopefully someone can help me out. Just trying to save alil bucks if i can
1. Apple store might throw in something free like a printer with it whereas a chain like Best Buy could offer financing if you didn't want to pay it in full right then and there
2. Apple products (especially Macs) rarely ever drop in price unless it's around the time for the newest model to drop. But Black Friday ro cyber monday sales again could offer up some free peripherals but the Mac itself price probably won't dip at all

Just copped a 15 in 2009 2.6 ghz MBP refurb

I also ordered 8 gb of DDR3 ram from Crucial.

Question is:

I have a 3 GB External which is ofcourse NTFS what do I need so I can be able to write to this (I store all my music and movies on this) besides formatting it?

What are must have tweeks that I need to do to it upon getting it?

It has Snow Leopard, is Lion worth the upgrade? I remember reading bad things about it earlier in this thread.

Originally Posted by vcof2005

There was just a MBP refresh about 3 weeks ago.

light hardware/software updates tho. first/second quarter 2012 there is supposedly going to be a complete redesign pursuant some of the patents weve seen apple file in recent months. i'm in the market for a new laptop but have been holding out, hopefully it's worth it

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Originally Posted by JayInfamous22

1. Apple store might throw in something free like a printer with it whereas a chain like Best Buy could offer financing if you didn't want to pay it in full right then and there
2. Apple products (especially Macs) rarely ever drop in price unless it's around the time for the newest model to drop. But Black Friday ro cyber monday sales again could offer up some free peripherals but the Mac itself price probably won't dip at all

only a $101 discount on MBPs for blackfriday
apple doesn't need to play into the gimmick of blackfriday, so don't expect and significant discounts

Back
Top Bottom