The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Really? I've heard it's fine to leave it on charge when at 100% Just take it off every once in awhile. Told this by an apple rep :nerd:

I think Apple has an article on their site regarding battery charging. If I remember correctly it didn't say when to start charging your battery, but that you shouldn't leave it charging for an extended period of time after it hits 100%.

What I do is just leave it off the charger until it hits around 20%-10% and leave it plugged in for around an hour after it hits 100%. I've had it for a little over a year and I don't notice any diminished battery life compared to when I got it. I've accumulated around 260 battery cycles during that time.
Yeah you shouldn't leave your laptop on charge for extended periods of time. After a while the battery won't hold a charge and will only work while plugged in. I've had it happen to a few of my laptops in the past.

^ They weren't Macbooks (they were Dells) but I believe the batteries were lithium as well. I don't know the exact science of it but when the battery is on charge the particles are at rest, and if they're resting more than they're moving around (while the battery is draining) they get stuck in "rest mode" and are unable to hold a charge anymore. The article on Apple.com explained it alot better but I can't find it :lol:.

Any deals for Mac computers right now. Looking for a regular macbook pro or the retina display version.

I would check Best Buy...and I suggest looking into Retina Macbook Pro. The 13" Non-Retina MBP hasn't been upgraded in over a year...It's bound to be discontinued in the near future. 
thanks bro I really appreciate this info I was gonna get the non retina, but thanks for the heads up.

Thanks.

+

Shutting down the computer, is it bad? Should I always leave my Macbook on the lock screen, when I'm not going to use it?

When should I charge my MacBook? 50%? 40%? 30%? 20%? 10%? 5%?

I've rarely shut down my MacBook. The only times I've done that is if I needed to reboot or if I was traveling. There are articles online on when to charge your battery. I always charged when I hit 10%. Once it was 100%, I would unplug and run off the battery.

Google some of these topics, I'm sure there are sites and forums specifically for Macs that have more insight. I suggest macrumors.com

Thank you so much!

I think Apple has an article on their site regarding battery charging. If I remember correctly it didn't say when to start charging your battery, but that you shouldn't leave it charging for an extended period of time after it hits 100%.

What I do is just leave it off the charger until it hits around 20%-10% and leave it plugged in for around an hour after it hits 100%. I've had it for a little over a year and I don't notice any diminished battery life compared to when I got it. I've accumulated around 260 battery cycles during that time.

Helpful information! Thanks!

Currently contemplating if I should simply max out the ram on my iMac or sell it and get a 13" MBP to share with the wife. It's tough finding a desk that is minimal and doesn't take too much space.

Currently contemplating if I should simply max out the ram on my iMac or sell it and get a 13" MBP to share with the wife. It's tough finding a desk that is minimal and doesn't take too much space.

DWR.com pricey but very minimal workspace desks.

Yeah, DWR is expensive as all hell, because it's all designer furniture. If you go IKEA, spend more than the base, I still like them for stuff outside of the particle board cheap crap.

DWR is where I get inspirations from, and then I try to find it on a budget. Thankfully I've got some architect friends that can usually point me in the right direction once I have an idea what I want to get.

Anyone know if there is a site that sells replacement stands for a 27" iMac? I feel like my stand is bent, which makes my iMac stand uneven.

Or are they easy to bend back easily.

^ They weren't Macbooks (they were Dells) but I believe the batteries were lithium as well. I don't know the exact science of it but when the battery is on charge the particles are at rest, and if they're resting more than they're moving around (while the battery is draining) they get stuck in "rest mode" and are unable to hold a charge anymore. The article on Apple.com explained it alot better but I can't find it :lol:.

I've tried to find articles regarding this topic and it seems like every single one just contradicts the other. Couldn't find the one on apple.com either.

Last edited:
Does apple ever do some kind of disco where you can trade in your MacBook Pro for probably a Macbook Air?  I made the wrong move and got the Pro, I should've got the Air.  More convenient and I don't even use that much space.  The fact that I purchased it a few months ago, and it's a mid 2012 really irks me.

someone convince me whether to buy a 5k iMac or just go with the regular 27 inch :smh:

my budget for a graduation present for the upcoming semester is 2.5k but I'm having a hard time choosing either. I'm not desperate to save the extra couple of hundred dollars but I feel like buying the 5k would just be unecessary considering I don't really do photography professionally.

only deterring factor for me would be the added ram since I can't stand it when my MBP lags when I use Final Cut Pro or Photoshop. plus I wouldn't really mind the 5k resolution since I already have a 4k TV for my gaming setup and retina for my mobile devices

someone drop their 2 cents pls

someone convince me whether to buy a 5k iMac or just go with the regular 27 inch
mean.gif

my budget for a graduation present for the upcoming semester is 2.5k but I'm having a hard time choosing either. I'm not desperate to save the extra couple of hundred dollars but I feel like buying the 5k would just be unecessary considering I don't really do photography professionally.

only deterring factor for me would be the added ram since I can't stand it when my MBP lags when I use Final Cut Pro or Photoshop. plus I wouldn't really mind the 5k resolution since I already have a 4k TV for my gaming setup and retina for my mobile devices

someone drop their 2 cents pls
I think you've weighed the key reasons why you would or would not want to put money down on a 5k iMac. What do you really plan on using the iMac for?

If I were in your position, I would go for the $1999 27-inch iMac, max out the RAM, and I'd be set. You could use the rest of your money to treat yourself with something else.

Back
Top Bottom